Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katlafemme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katlafemme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .
    Posted: February 12 2006 at 12:12pm

Edited by katlafemme - February 15 2015 at 3:30pm
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 1:06pm

hi Kat- and welcome to our community of extension addicts.

sorry to hear about your situation, i am located in southern cali and not sure who is in chicago area. start taking biotin to help your hair to grow.

welcome and keep posting

Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:25pm

I'm so sorry about your hair,I can sympathize.Every time my thyroid dose changes I lose so an obsene amount of hair.My hair falls out especially at the crown.Its embarrassing and very obvious when my hair is in a ponytail.But luckily it always comes back in.But I get short hairs all over.

So biotin? i have heard of it,but just assumed it was for making your hair grow as fast as possible.Is it expensive?Maybe I can head off my own hairloss before it happens again.

I wish I could be more of a help,but I dont know much about fixing the problem.What about those integration peices,or is that for something else entirely.Good luck.I hope you find an option that works for you.

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 5:20pm

There are some wonderful top of the head hair pieces (some call them 'toppers') that work very nicely for thinning hair.  For the most natural look, go to a hair replaement professional and have them custom make one for you.  They will take a mold of your head and be able to match your color and texture.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katlafemme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:18am

AmethystKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmethystKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:38am
i have a friend who suddenly started losing her hair at the part. her looked
much worse than yours. i would definitely check out wigs, toppers, and
other hairpieces. not only are they a solution to your problem, they can be
really fun!
corpuskristen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corpuskristen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 12:14pm

Just curious, I wonder if Spironolactone works. I take it for PCOS and it is an anti-androgen. What about Nioxin?

I am a newbie and all but I but wouldn't recc extensions to you. With androgenic alopecia me thinks you may be susceptible to traction alopecia as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katlafemme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:04am

ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:30am

hey katlafemme -

were you diagnosed by an endocrinologist/dermatologist? if so, did they not give you any therapeutic options? the reason i ask is that, like longhairdreams said, many other endocrine problems can cause similar hairloss.

i agree with corpuskristen in that - isn't rogaine targeted to androgenic alopecia? i could be wrong but i think i remember the early talk about rogain blocking dht and so forth, which is why it worked for male pattern baldness?

good luck!

Gill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:40am

Hi Kat,

Sorry to read about your hair loss. I am in a very similar situation and have spent loads of time trying to find ways to cover it. I had a look at integration pieces and toppers on the web but wasn't confident that they would look right on me and was alos put off by the cost.

I had a hair system from Mark Glenn for a year which was great but it was too costly to maintain and I found it difficult to travel to London every six weeks for my appointment.  

I ended up buying a couple of cheap wigs off ebay (about £15) and spent a few night taking them apart and putting them together in diferent ways. I then went down to a local wig shop and bought a lovely wig in a nice bob style. I was able to match the colours perfectly to my own hair (light brown with gold blonde highlights). Once I got home I cut right round the botton part of it, taking about three inches off around the rim and was left with a top piece that sat on the top of my head. I then pulled my own hair through the gaps in the wig. In order to secure it I made tiny braids, like pinchbraids, with small sections of the wig hair and my own hair which I secured with shrinkies. This looked so fantastic and totally natural. Even my other half couldn't work out what was different about me. He knew I looked better but couldn't work out what it was. He ended up guessing that I had changed my make up!

I was able to sleep with this system on because it was secured by the shrinkies. There was no pulling on my own hair at all. I took it off about twice a week to wash and just replaced the shrinkies (about 12 in all). This worked out really well for me as it meant my own hair wan't being styled so much every day which gives it a chance to 'heal' and hopefully get a bit thicker.

I'm currently wearing this same system with some 16" extensions which I colour matched by blending 27 and 163. This has let me put the wefts further doen my head where the hair is considerably thicker and stronger. I'm really pleased with how it looks and I now have more options for wearing my hair than ever before.

I don't know if this would work for you but I've found it really successful. Even if I need to buy a new wig every few months it's still much cheaper than the integration systems on the internet.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Gill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katlafemme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:12pm

Edited by katlafemme - February 15 2015 at 3:31pm
corpuskristen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corpuskristen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:29pm

Gill, THat is mad brilliant. I might try that with a too thick weirdo wig I have!

Katlafemme, have you looked into spiro at all? My doc put me on that right away and I noticed I immed stopped shedding as often. Maybe pyschological but I dunno.

ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:33pm

hey there -

one other option that i don't think has been mentioned here is a lacefront wig - basically the hairs are knotted onto a very fine lace that, when worn over a stocking cap, looks like it's growing out of your scalp. they are wigs and are not for everyone, but for some women they are great options, particularly if you don't want any traction on your hair.. go over to the Black Hair Media boards (go to the links for beginners) - those ladies are amazing and have real skills applying, perfecting the ordering, etc etc. you can look at their pics and concerns/issues to see if one might work for you!

best of luck!

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:13pm

Hey check this site out, i posted it in another thread but thought i'd add it to this one too....

http://www.newhair4u2.com/UK/default.htm

They have super cheap prices xx

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic