Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seriously considering going short again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 8:30am
Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

It is an interesting point that Rosalie mentions.  Are the majority of women with very short hair (i.e. like traditional "boy" hair) lesbians?  Or perceived to be so by onlookers?  Or is that too stereotypical an approach? 

I only have one close female friend who has properly short hair so it's difficult to know.

It's not the length(I have short hair), it's the style. I think she could look nice with short hair, just not that particular style, or perhaps that particular length. I mainly judge hair by style rather than length. That style in particular looks like one often worn by butch/dykish lesbians, or butch women in general.

There's no point saying anything if it HAS to be nice. I'd rather be honest if someone asks an honest question. If you want to look that way fine, but just so you honestly know what it looks like. Most people here are "overly polite" and fetishists(well I suppose I am too but I'm all for all different lengths of hair) so you're not going to get a straight answer from them.

Edited by Rosalie
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:42am
I was talking to someone yesterday and I was giving her some examples of how these things happen.

Lets say you have 4 people.

2 of them live in one state or country and 2 of them live in another.

One day 2 of them are out on the street walking and one of them points to a person and says "That person looks Dykish"

1000 miles away in the other place the other 2 are also out walking and the same thing happens.

Now consider this. in each place one of the two people has never heard of a Dyke. In one place the person was pointing to a person with a mullet and in the other it was a short cut.

Yes that could happen.

So now you have 2 people who don't even know what a Dyke is supposed to be yet suddenly they have a mental image of what they were told is one. Now they're going to assume everyone with those cuts is a Dyke.

What happens when someday these people are all in the same place? Suddenly everyone with mullets or short cuts are going to be assumed to be Dykes.

You may be being honest but you could be wrong. Oh and think of this. What if Sarah-Jane was one? I do not recall seing anywhere on this site that said No Gay People.

You may be being honest. But you're only showing that you don't like gay people and that if she gets that cut it's going to bother you. And if that's not what you intend  unfortunately your words are saying otherwise. I know it's easy to be misunderstood. If you want to clarify what you've said maybe I could understand better. But based on what you said all I can assume is that you don't like them.

My Dad does similar things. He's always bringing up how certain people are always going to be poor or criminals because that's the way they are. I do not agree with him and I wish I could stop him from saying such things. But I know that it's more important that I learn not to judge people. I'm sorry for judging you. But I have to be honest too.

I'm not Gay. But I am trying to change the world and not just keep things going the way they are. Maybe you are too. But my version is different than yours.

Edited by PurpleBubba
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 11:26am
I was going to let this just subject just drop but I've just got to answer this.

I don't mind if someone says I looked awful with my old haircut, it was ages ago anyway and I doubt I would have returned to that exact style anyway. What I do mind is judging people on their sexuality. Good grief this is the 21st century, what does it matter if someone is gay or straight? Okay I have had lots of boyfriends and I have also had one girlfriend, I might or might not have more who knows? Or I might find a nice man settle down and have kids, who cares? Surely there are more important things going on in the world than if a girl apparently looks like a dyke to some people because she happens to have short hair?

And the other thing is, when I had short hair I got hit-on far more often than now it's long and what's more by MEN!!! So work that one out?!

I am still not having a go at anyone, just giving you my 2 cents worth.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:48pm

I think these are  honest opinions.just because its not the same opinion as yours doesnt mean its not honest.

Quote:Rosalie

There's no point saying anything if it HAS to be nice. I'd rather be honest if someone asks an honest question. If you want to look that way fine, but just so you honestly know what it looks like. Most people here are "overly polite" and fetishists(well I suppose I am too but I'm all for all different lengths of hair) so you're not going to get a straight answer from them.

Quote:Rosalie

And redhairedgirl,You are a very pretty woman.I think you could pull off a short cut.Its hard to go by the pic.I just understand how hard it can be to grow your hair out.I get the urge to cut frequently,lol.

Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 2:11pm

I have edited this post because my other was kinda mean.  Sorry! Debbie

Edited by Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 3:22pm
Are you talking to me? If so I'm confused.
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 3:54pm

No

There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 2:33am

Honesty is a good policy, though we all have to remember that what, to us, feels like an honest truth may not be held as a universal truth.

And if the fetishists here are "overly polite", we should be glad!  I've known many fetishists (on HB and other boards) who didn't even bother with the niceties -_-;;; .

Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

I'd rather be honest if someone asks an honest question. If you want to look that way fine, but just so you honestly know what it looks like. Most people here are "overly polite" and fetishists(well I suppose I am too but I'm all for all different lengths of hair) so you're not going to get a straight answer from them.

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 2:57am
I am not a hair fetishist, I joined this site for help and ideas for my hair and to help anyone else I feel I can do .

What I would add though is what is wrong with being polite? I don't believe in being nasty or upsetting people, why would anyone want to do that? Maybe I'm just naive or something but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or "vent" just because I don't agree with someone's viewpoint.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 2:21pm

I'm totally confused as to what is going on here

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 2:40pm
If you want my honest opinion, RHG, that picture you posted with short hair was awful. Maybe you could look good with short hair, but that looked like a real knife and fork chop up. Personally, I think red heads look great with longer hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:05am
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

If you want my honest opinion, RHG, that picture you posted with short hair was awful. Maybe you could look good with short hair, but that looked like a real knife and fork chop up. Personally, I think red heads look great with longer hair.

I LOVE your honesty . I payed a lot of money to look like that back then . I loved it so much as soon as it was long enough I got extensions . Thanks everyone who's replied! Can we close this subject now, my hair is staying long and it's now very curly, which is "new image" enough for me. Everyone pretty much thought it looks better long, so I've gone with the majority opinion.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:32pm

Glad you've given it plenty of time and thought and made your own decision.

enjoy your curls

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by redhairedgirl redhairedgirl wrote:

I was going to let this just subject just drop but I've just got to answer this.

I don't mind if someone says I looked awful with my old haircut, it was ages ago anyway and I doubt I would have returned to that exact style anyway. What I do mind is judging people on their sexuality. Good grief this is the 21st century, what does it matter if someone is gay or straight? Okay I have had lots of boyfriends and I have also had one girlfriend, I might or might not have more who knows? Or I might find a nice man settle down and have kids, who cares? Surely there are more important things going on in the world than if a girl apparently looks like a dyke to some people because she happens to have short hair?

And the other thing is, when I had short hair I got hit-on far more often than now it's long and what's more by MEN!!! So work that one out?!

I am still not having a go at anyone, just giving you my 2 cents worth.

When did I judge someone on their sexuality!? I'm a transsexual so I'm in no position to judge. I really hate when people try to make me out to be a bigot, because I despise bigots more than anything in the world.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 4:57pm

Hi Sarah!

I'm back from my Honeymoon! Mexico was soooo BEAUTIFUL!! Especially with my loving Husband Steve!!!:)

I read you've decided on keeping your long hair, with your natural curls,;) Sounds great, I wish! But in Puerta Vallarta Mexico, my hair was so full of body and a bit of wave due to all the humidity, wow, vavava voom!! Now I'm back in dry air cold Madison Wisconsin, lol,....oh well:)

Take it easy, God Bless You Sarah! ;)

God Bless,...
Katie
bronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:26pm

Being a lesbian who lurks on these boards I feel obligated to respond before going back to lurkdom.  I'm actually happy when people ask such questions as long as the question is honest and not an excuse to gay bash.  Here are my two cents.

I can tell you that there are many gay women with long hair, short hair and in between hair.  This mirrors hetero women.  What I think IS different is that a gay woman with very short hair is more likely to be openly out of the closet.  Therefore, someone who is not part of the community is more likely to know that the short haired woman is gay and less likely to realize that the long haired woman is.  Being gay is one thing.  Being openly gay is another.  A discussion of this is complex and doesn't really belong here but I do think looks play a part.  

Personally, I started to experiment with short hairstyles before I realized I was gay.  After I figured it out I continued to experiment with shorter and shorter styles.  I don't know if the two are related.  Eventually I found my limit at about crew cut length.  With this style I felt ugly and too boyish and discovered that it was still important to me to feel pretty.  Looking like a pudgy little boy was not a turn on.  My hair is now approaching shoulder length.  I don't think you would know that I am gay to look at me.  While I am out of the closet to family and friends, I don't advertize my sexuality.

I'll go back to lurking now.

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 9:36am

Hey there bronnie, and Welcome!;)

I think most people, especially here on this board, aren't worried about sexuality,etc.

But I did appreciate you post.

Take care and God Bless!

God Bless,...
Katie
buzzednapelover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzednapelover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 2:18pm

redhairedgirl:

let me straight with you.  the picture of your old short hair?  i find it VERY sexy!  i am a straight male and i think that particular cut just screams words like sexy, smart and confident.

i say "go for it" and cut it short again.  of course, you'd have to share pictures with us  ;)

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:28am

Bronnie, thanks for your post, that was exactly what I was wondering about earlier.

Katay, pleased to hear you had a lovely wedding and honeymoon (I'm most envious although I have just been skiing so can't complain).

SJ, good luck with your hair, whatever you decide; it's very pretty.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:41am

Hi trophywife!

Thank you, I'm very happy. Our Honeymoon, was just as much fun as our wedding!;)

It was a first airplane ride for me, plus I finally was in the Ocean(Pacific Ocean). Plus I was first out of the USA!!!

I've tried to crosss country ski,..but I kept falling down. I'm sure You go down hill right? That would scare me, but I am better at dancing,...

Tropywife, I must say, I appreciate all your posts. I'm wishing you all the best, and keep posting, we all love ya!;)

Love, Katie

God Bless,...
Katie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic