Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seriously considering going short again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seriously considering going short again
    Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:29am
Here's a piccie of me when I had short hair

And you can see how I am now in my signature. I'm really tempted to go short again, I miss the convenience and the "look" of short hair. I felt I had more attitude with short hair. I'm just scared it's taken my like over 2 years to grow it out now and if I don't like it I'm stuck. Oh and I don't wanna look like a boy

Edited by redhairedgirl
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:02am

I actually prefer your long-haired look to the short haired version -but thats not to say with a different style that you wouldn't look great with short hair.

I can understand the dilemna that you face and one way of looking at it is that a 2-3 year grow out period isn't really that long in the scheme of things and it would give you the chance to experiment with different syles on the way.

You could take it shorter in stages but then you run the risk of it being neither long nor short and therby increasing you frustration.  It may therefore be better to take the lot off in one go - if you decide that the short haired look is one that you want to sport at the present time.

I don't suppose I've been much help - but as it says in my signature - its your hair.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:54am

Hi Sarah,

I know what You're feeling. I had almost the long hair you have now, in June 2002.

Ofcourse everyone has thier reasons for LONG VS. Short Hair!

However, back in 2002, I simply wanted to be free of long hair, because it reminded me of the bad relationship. So I bravely cut my long locks myself. I literally got so many compliments, I felt Great!! ;)

However I now sport a medium short hair style.

I love my hair as is.

Sarah, I think You look great with Short hair as well as long. You have a pretty face. I look pretty average, LOL, ok I am pretty, I like poking fun of myself,...

So if I were you I'd look at lots of hair mags, and decide(when you're ready) to go slow, with a stylist whom you trust. You could go gradually short, so you don't get shocked(if you will).

Believe me, just last Friday I wanted a shorter style, but with my wedding, I'm trying to be a "Good girl" so my stylist has some length to work with for the updo, with my tierera, and veil.

But I just may chop it(at the salon, as of March, to a shorter bob style, plus I want more violet red lowlights/and highlights). I'm 35, and not worried to experiment some more.;)

But that's my fickle nature with my hair, Sarah.

Good luck, no matter what you decide. I know You'll look gorgeous, no matter what you decide! ;)

Take it easy,...

God Bless,...
Katie
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:19pm

I know how you feel, I am forever growing my hair out and then cutting it off!  I get so bored once my hair is long!

I don't think you would look like a boy, you have a feminine and pretty face. And remember if you don't like it you won't be 'stuck' forever.

It's your decision, just make sure you can enjoy whatever you decide

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 8:09am

Hi Sarah,

I hope You are well.

I know you're busy, so I hope to hear from you soon. I speak for everyone, we want you to be happy with whichever hairstyle you should choose.

You are so cool, and attractive, theres no stopping you, so go for whatever makes you happy, God Bless You too, Take it easy,...

Katie ;)

God Bless,...
Katie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:06pm
Thanks everyone who replied. I'm going to leave it until the end of the month and see how I feel then. I know it's only hair and it will grow back, it just takes so flipping long to if I don't like it.

Hey Katay, do you fancy running my fan club, you're pretty good for a girls' ego

Oh and by the way I'm not a troll! Just undecided, okay?!!
HairStyleDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:46pm
I think whatever you decide will look great. good luck
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 12:40am

Er, well, you seem to enjoy wearing skirts most of the time, so that should cut down on the gender confusion fears ^_^;; . . .  *shrugs*  If it's any help, I wear pants almost all the time, and rarely wear make-up, yet I'm almost never taken for a guy.  (Though I'm one of the weird ones who likes it if I am, so I wish it would happen more. . . but that's really beside the point ^_^;;; )

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Er, well, you seem to enjoy wearing skirts most of the time, so that should cut down on the gender confusion fears ^_^;; . . .  *shrugs*  If it's any help, I wear pants almost all the time, and rarely wear make-up, yet I'm almost never taken for a guy.  (Though I'm one of the weird ones who likes it if I am, so I wish it would happen more. . . but that's really beside the point ^_^;;; )

annem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:43am
hi...
i also do have long blonde hair, but i do consider a change within the next weeks..
any help, tipps, pics welcome..
new mail-pals welcome as well..

anne
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:29am
No offense but you look very dykish with that haircut. If you do go short, get a more feminine cut, and maybe not quite as short.
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:56am

It is an interesting point that Rosalie mentions.  Are the majority of women with very short hair (i.e. like traditional "boy" hair) lesbians?  Or perceived to be so by onlookers?  Or is that too stereotypical an approach? 

I only have one close female friend who has properly short hair so it's difficult to know.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 9:43am
Are we ever going to live in a world where people can wear their hair any way they want without other people putting labels on them?

Why can't we just look at it as a short haircut without saying it makes the person something?

I just think about how for all those years of growing up how I saw all kinds of different people with all different hairstyles. I never looked at someone and thought they were something because back then I never heard of those words. My dad's nickname was Butch. Never conjured images of a short haired female. When is it going to end?

Sarah-Jane your short hair looked good. It may or may not look that good now. There might be other styles that will or won't look good. Your long hair looks good. But it doesn't matter what I think looks good.

I only want you to find what you like. I know you as Sarah-Jane who participates on a message board. I don't know you as gay, straight, or anything else otherwise. And unless you share that information on your own you'll never have to be anything else.

Edited by PurpleBubba

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:26pm
Thanks Robert . It is kinda like saying every girl who has very short hair must be a lesbian, which is a gross generalisation. I'm certainly not going to talk about my sexuality on here thanks very much, but I have my own reasons for not wanting to look like a dyke. If my short hair had that effect back then and funnily I did actually have a bf at the time who liked it looking that way, then I guess I'll stick with it being long for now.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, I welcome ANYONE who takes the trouble to answer a question I've asked and I DID ask for opinions on if I looked like a boy
cyhairctr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyhairctr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:38pm
There is no way that you look like a boy! Go with what you like and your comfortable with.  Boy?!?!?  NO WAY!
send me a pic I will see what I can do!
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 2:35pm

[QUOTE=PurpleBubba]
Why can't we just look at it as a short haircut without saying it makes the person something?

I'd totally agree - a male friend of mine has his head virtually shaved through choice due to a severley receding hairline.  Given that he is quite well built he often gets mistaken for being "thug" like both in this country and abroad.  It severely confused the waiters in the restaurant whilst he and his wife were holidaying in France when he entered and spoke fluent French.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 10:55pm

You remind me of a girl I met 25 years ago (yes, I'm showing my age) when my unit flew into Machrihanish, Argyll, Scotland.  We ended up spending more than the one night planned (we were on our way to Bodo, Norway).  We went on liberty to Campbeltown, the closest city and frequented a few pubs and had a few pints.  I met her in one of those pubs.  We talked and danced most of the evening.  At one point in our conversation, she said she was going to cut her long red hair.  Being the short hair lover that I am, I encouraged this.  Two weeks later, we passed back through Machrihanish on our way to the Azores.  Again, we spent more than the one night planned (due to weather again) and I saw her at the same pub sporting her new haircut.  She looked awesome!!!  I had not seen many transformations this dramatic in the past; I have seen many since then but she stands out as one of the top five of my favorites.  I fully understand this is your choice but like you have said, you have asked for opinions.  Judging from the previous picture of you with short hair, I think that you too will look AWESOME. 

My two bobs worth

HAWG
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:07am

I'm kinda antisocial IRL, so I may not have as wide an experience as some people.  But the lesbians I've known often had long hair (either consistently, or more often than not), even the ones who identified themselves as "butch" or played the dominant role in relationships.

Also, I am a lesbian with short hair who generally wears pants and seldom any make-up, yet the majority of people seem to assume I'm straight unless told otherwise.  Although once, when I was trying to tell a hairstylist I wanted more androgynous hair, he did ask whether I was a lesbian. . . but I think that was the only time I can remember anyone ever questioning me on orientation based on my hair.  *shrugs*

Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

It is an interesting point that Rosalie mentions.  Are the majority of women with very short hair (i.e. like traditional "boy" hair) lesbians?  Or perceived to be so by onlookers?  Or is that too stereotypical an approach? 

I only have one close female friend who has properly short hair so it's difficult to know.

More awesome than a manatee!
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 3:13am
Thanks for that, Kureneko, an interesting perspective.  So it does seem as though all these ideas of judging people by their choice of hairstyle, or other aspects of their physical appearance, ARE totally outmoded and nothing more than stereotypical.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 8:29am
Because it does make someone look that way. I'm only being honest because I doubt you're going to get a lot of that here. I personally think it doesn't look nice at all.
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

Are we ever going to live in a world where people can wear their hair any way they want without other people putting labels on them?

I just think about how for all those years of growing up how I saw all kinds of different people with all different hairstyles. I never looked at someone and thought they were something because back then I never heard of those words. My dad's nickname was Butch. Never conjured images of a short haired female. When is it going to end?

Sarah-Jane your short hair looked good. It may or may not look that good now. There might be other styles that will or won't look good. Your long hair looks good. But it doesn't matter what I think looks good.

I only want you to find what you like. I know you as Sarah-Jane who participates on a message board. I don't know you as gay, straight, or anything else otherwise. And unless you share that information on your own you'll never have to be anything else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic