Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long or short - which is "me"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long or short - which is "me"?
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:58am
I posted this on the short-hair forum, I just don't know what to do. I love my long hair, but I feel I would like a change, maybe I should just stop straightening it and go back to being a curly-head .
Originally posted by redhairedgirl redhairedgirl wrote:

Here's a piccie of me when I had short hair

And you can see how I am now in my signature. I'm really tempted to go short again, I miss the convenience and the "look" of short hair. I felt I had more attitude with short hair. I'm just scared it's taken my like over 2 years to grow it out now and if I don't like it I'm stuck. Oh and I don't wanna look like a boy

Edited by redhairedgirl
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:17am
I'm betting everyone here is going to tell you how great long hair is, and everyone on the short board will tell you how great short is.  You look great in both, it will just have to be up to you which you prefer!  I'll just say take your time with the decision, and take at least 2 weeks to make up your mind, since it does take so long to grow if you wind up changing it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:58am

Maybe take about four inches off of the length if you're not quite sure but want enough of a change. That way, you're not loosing *too* much and it's enough to be a new look. Maybe go curly at the same time so your hair will also be healthier with no more staightening and the loss of four inches of old hair.

Good luck in your choice! You look gorgeous either way.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:56pm

Did you not mention that you were a model and the longer hair got you more jobs - or something?

Regardless, although you do not look like a boy with short hair, that close-cropped hair style in the picture looks rather severe on you and ages you a bit.

Your long hair style looks all one length?  If you are tired of it, maybe in stead of chopping it all off - why don't you get some long layers?  They are currently in fashion right now.  And do stop straightening your lair.  I bet you would look fabulous with a layered long curly hair style.  And with that color red - it could be a cool, sexy tousled look.

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:57pm

Wow...Wasn't red-haired girl the one who has been saying for the last two years that she hated short hair and even wore extensions while growing out? I am sure she has also said (paraphrasing here) that she felt unsexy with short hair and was talked into going short against her wishes.

Anyway, it's true she looks good both ways--and it's her decision. The sudden conversion just seems a bit odd.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:20pm

Some people cannot stop fooling with their hair.  It is this reason I think that so many of us have a tough time growing it out.  Perhaps redhairedgirl is going though something similar?

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Tyranna Tyranna wrote:

Some people cannot stop fooling with their hair.  It is this reason I think that so many of us have a tough time growing it out.  Perhaps redhairedgirl is going though something similar?

Sums me up!

I remember thinking it was you who said you hated short hair like Fatmoogas remembers. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be gorgeous!

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:38pm
Hi Redhairedgirl, I think probably long hair is more versatile. You can always make it look "short" with updos, but not the other way around! If you are spending lots of time straightening it, maybe just let it go curly/wavy and just spend that energy really taking good care of yourself and your hair. Red hair looks gorgeous with curls/waves! Check out MissRini's hair for inspiration Good luck whatever you choose.
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:15pm
I think that long hair looks good on you!! I would go with it if I were you! ~Lisa9232
Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:31pm

All I can say is that the "long" photo drops my jaw. If "attitude" is what you seek, the truth is that I admire people with  *gracious* demeanors. Those people spoiling for a tiff, walking around with a chip on their shoulders, I just ignore if possible. There is nothing about wearing beautiful long hair such as yours that will fail to earn you respect, except among idiots, perhaps. Why cater to the angry and stupid?

If by "attitude", you mean "confidence", I fail to understand why extra length would make you a shrinking violet. Aspire to be proud of who you are, regardless of your hair length. God bless, Bob

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:01pm

Can't help it, I have to post this and be in the minority.....

I think you look fabulous with the old short cut.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 1:31am
Only you can decide.

There are too many possible hairstyles for you to get long, medium, or short. Seeing one picture of one short or long hairstyle on you isn't enough for me to say you should or shouldn't do something.

I'm of the belief that if someone feels like they want a change then they should go ahead and do it. However I also think that giving yourself a few weeks to be sure is best.

Take the next 2-3 weeks and gather information. Find pictures or magazines with more than just one or two options. Unless you know what you want if you make the change. If there's a cut that you know you liked then that makes things a bit easier.

Get a piece of paper or a text file or a journal entry and make yourself a list of your reasons for and against long and short.

Ask yourself if you are wanting to change your hair because you want to change your hair or if you are wanting to change your hair because something else in life is happening. Things like stress, breakups, weather changes.

Are you at a stage right now where you always seem to cut back? Was there a length perhaps a few inches shorter that you were happier with? Or were you happier with shorter hair?

Ask yourself are you wanting to cut your hair to get short hair or are you cutting it to not have long hair? Either way you need to find a short cut that you will be happy with. There's a big difference between that pixie type cut and a chin length cut.

Is your color bothering you? Maybe you like the length but not the color?

Is your hair damaged? I can definitely understand wanting to get rid of damage. It's a valid reason to make a change.

This is a pun but I always prefer to get to the root of the hair problem.  I always said that if I became a stylist I would always give my clients multiple options. I've always hated watching makeover shows and seeing someone sit down in the chair and be told "We're going to do this" without any other options given.

Think of it this way. Your long hair is on trial. You are both the defense and the prosecution. Make the arguements so that after the trial ends you won't have to appeal.

I hope that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 2:44am
That is so cool PurpleBubba, I will do that. Long hair on trial . You're right there have been a lot of changes going on in my life recently and I feel uprooted . I have changed jobs, I don't model now (lack of time) and I have moved house.

I do soooo appreciate everyone who's taken the trouble to reply. Love you! And yes it was me who said she hated short hair and all that stuff

I will have a "cooling-off" period like everyone said. What I will do is leave it 'till the end of this month, in the meantime I will stop straightening it and let it get back it's natural curl. So by the time 28th Feb comes along you won't be able to see me for my big 1980's style hair .

Anais - that's what I thought looking at the pic, I thought I looked better with my old cut.

I'll post again and let you know what I've decided.

Love

Sarah-Jane x
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:15am

Sarah-Jane darling, sweety, luvvy......you are so much like me!!! Besides the red hair......I too go through stages of "curl repression" and am really ashamed of my hair.  I also grow my hair for a while, then cut it all off, then grow it, then cut it....you know how it goes. I am using long hair support groups this time so that I dont cut again, I have also told my husband to really talk me out of cutting when I get the urge.  The reason is.....I KNOW I will regret it.  It's happened countless times before.  It's like being really hungry and then going to McDonalds and INSTANTLY regretting it the moment you've swallowed your last moutful of cheeseburger....well, OK, it's not the same and I'm digressing..   Back to my point...I usually get to the cutting stage when I'm bored or feeling unfulfilled in some way (or one of my friends gets a WAY cute short cut and it gets me thinking).  For you, it's not a matter of either one looking better....frankly you look GREAT with short and long hair.  I think it's more about you looking at how you are feeling right now.  And last time you cut, how long did it take for you to regret it? Why did you regret it? Ask yourself those questions. And sleep on it OK? For many nights...

We're here if you want to talk

PS: SpecialKitty:

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:11am

DON'T CUT IT PLEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZE!!!!!

You saw that coming, didn't you?  Really, I think it would be a pity to cut off all that nice hair. If you really wanted to cut it, I would suggest going for a straight (I.E. not layered) classic bob instead of that really short cut. But I think it would be great if you kept your hair long.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:23pm

Quote I will have a "cooling-off" period like everyone said. What I will do is leave it 'till the end of this month, in the meantime I will stop straightening it and let it get back it's natural curl. So by the time 28th Feb comes along you won't be able to see me for my big 1980's style hair

Before you cut (or restyle) can you pst a picture of your long hair with its natural curl?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:47pm
I think you might have to wait on that one Tyranna, I have been straightening it for soooo long now. I think the only curly piccies I have are me as a kid .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:12pm
Do you chemically straighten or use straighteners?
lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:28pm
   Sarah, we are here anytime you need support.  Really hope you keep it long but thats your decision.   As Missrini said, ask yourself those questions before doing something drastic.  Also, whats wrong with big 80s hair?   lol   I`m sure you looked great with it big!!   Big hair is a great style and really liked my former classmates in school that had that style. 
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:17pm

Ah, Sarah-Jane, now I think I get you! When life is spiraling out of control, it's tempting to do something that makes one feel that you still have *some* power over your life. Hair can seem like a splendid target! However, I submit, the limited power we humans have comes through disipline, such as what you've shown in growing back your inspiring flames over the past two years. The feeling of control that a cut would give is at best illusory, IMO. If you cut today, your ability to have model quality long hair ceases immediately. You will have *no* power to bring it all back tomorrow.

I remember that you were tricked by phony friends into cutting your hair last time. Don't fool *yourself* this time! Any reason other than that you truly are craving short hair for yourself may be deeply regretted by you, based on reading some of your past postings. Hugs and Best Wishes, Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic