Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haircoloring Introduction to Color....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
jotheblondeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotheblondeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 9:20am

Hi, thanks Miffny, yes it certainly is a better colour than it was last week.

I might give the blondor a try next time....what would you recommend?  They do the powder bleach and developer, they also do granules, and the WELLA BLONDOR LIGHTENING SYSTEM  which says it can lighten up to 5 levels (is that enough) cox contains 1 tube hair colour base and 2 sachets of booster powder (do I still need developer).  I want to achieve creamy/white highlights

Anyone with experience of the blondor range care to advise? Smile
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 2:00pm
I think it looks beautiful Jo! Nice job. I've never seen at home highlights turn out so well.
jotheblondeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotheblondeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 6:28pm
Thank you PerfectBrunette Smile  I was very nervous about doing them, as I had not used the cap before.  I had only used Loreal Experte where you get that mascara type brush to use, which is ok, but I tended to get some colour on the hair underneath the highlights.
I found this a much neater finish!
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 2:40pm
Hello everyone!

Can someone please give me advice about what color (mixture of colors) should I use to solve my problem? Here is the thing :

My natural color is medium blonde (7) ... Few years ago I started going grey so I decided to dye my hair to my natural colour. I bought Goldwell 7N and dyed my hair and I taught it worked fine but on daylight my hair wasn't medium blonde but it had some red tones in it. I guess I have underlying red pigment. So then, I dyed my hair with 7NA Goldwell hair day and my hair also on daylight had some red tones in it. Then I did stupid mistake and dyed my hair in  Goldwell 7A ( I though ash will kill red tones) but my hair was more reddish than ever...

Now I really don't know what should I do, and any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 9:12pm
angel84 I would try a pearl instead of ash my hair is a level 7 too & has a huge amount of red underlying, when I was tinting I used a pearl as the ash would always see some reddish coming through but not with the pearl ,   using a low level peroxide will help too unless you want a lift or two than the red will show even more.

Good Luck.
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:10am
Do you mix pearl color with for example 7N or put it by itself? And if you mix it what ratio you use? Also will pearl cover up my grey?

Thank you

Edited by angel84 - March 13 2008 at 9:26am
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 10:31am
I've found on this topic that goldwell ash is blue based...and blue counters orange right? Since I have red tones should I use ash with green based tones as neutralizer for my red pigment? And do you know which companies produce green based ash?

Thank you!

Edited by angel84 - March 17 2008 at 12:10pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 3:44pm
This is my all time fave article from William here at The Hair Boutique explains hair colouring to perfection.

To answer the question I used to mix 20grams of tint I used 10N blonde to 2cms of Pearl mix I found the 10P to be too blue the 10 lightened my greys to a blonde but the P-Mix gave a subtle hue of blue gold hard to explain but it looked very pretty as you are with a level 7N the pearl Mix may add more depth to your greys.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip095.htm
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 3:54pm
But do you think that green base would neutralize my underlying red pigment?

I am not that grey...10 % maybe...

Can you explain to me if I for example want to neutralize red with green...Do I use only for example 7A or I mix 7A with 7N and in what percent?

If that with green base doesn't work out I will try pearl.
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 6:38am
Green & Blue both neutralise underlying red pigment :) I prefer Pearl it's softer more smoky looking.

Sounds as if you like ash so try a 7Ash & if there is not enough ash you will at least know to get a Ash or Pearl Mix & add more to a 7N .

Edited by Miffny - March 18 2008 at 7:00am
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 7:35am
Pearl will not eliminate red tones in your hair. Pearl is violet based color that is sometimes used to neutralize gold tones on blonde hair.

With Goldwell you should use their Colorance Demi Permanent line of color and mix a Ash Series and Gold Series in equal parts to get a green base. That will neutralize red tones. The mixing ratio for Colorance is 2 parts developer to 1 part color.

So when mixing you would use 20 mls or Developer and 10 mls of color....5 mls Ash & 5 mls Gold if you want a green base.

Make sure it's Colorance and not Colorance Plus or Colorance Soft Color. You want the regular Colorance color. Mix 7G & 7A and try a test strand. As for you getting back your original color I can't see your hair so I can't help you there. Is your natural color lighter or darker than the previously colored hair? If it's darker then yes perhaps if it's lighter then it would need to lightened via bleach then recolored because putting more color over previously colored hair will not lighten the hair. It's one of the fundamental laws of color.

Edited by Claude - March 18 2008 at 7:37am
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 8:13am
No..7 is my natural color...I'm just dying it to cover grey.

I will try Colorance. 
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 8:34am
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 8:45am
I will have to agree to disagree with you on this one in my 22 years of hairdressing I found P-Mix to tone down red /brassy 99% better & cooler than ash ever has seems I am not alone .

http://www.behindthechairjobs.com/forum/displaythread.aspx?DID=2166

http://www.goldwellusa.com/products/haircolor/_images/Topchic%20Haircolor_2005.pdf

Edited by Miffny - March 18 2008 at 8:54am
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:24pm
There are no red tones in gray hair? Now your confusing me. You made mention you wanted to eliminate red tones in your haircolor. Gray hair is unpigmented hair....there is no pigment in gray hair. You can't use Colorance to color gray hair it's a demi permanent color which means it will only blend gray not cover it.
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 5:33am
In all honesty I would just use a permanent tint with 20 vol in a 7N that will cover your grey. If you want a translucent look that will deposit only enough to blend the greys go with a colorance.
I am totally lost about the red tones now as greys/whites have no pigment as Claude mentions above.  
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:57am
I am only 10-15% grey...Can I use Colorance if I am not completely grey?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:07am
Colorance will blend gray, not cover it. To cover it you need to use Top Chic Permanent HairColor.
angel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 11:03am
I will then mix permanent Goldwell 7A and 7G in equal parts (to get green base) and try that, as you suggested
Katyavp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katyavp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 12:20am

I hope you can help me, Claude.  I moved over a year ago and left the best hair colorist behind, and now am having one hell of a time finding a Goldwell colorist who knows what he/she is doing!!!

Since moving, my hair became very over-highlighted, so I have made the difficult decision to stop highlighting my hair (I previously had 8GB roots at 20 vol. and highlights.... it turned out to be a very pretty strawberry blonde until the new stylists made it almost completely blonde). 

I believe my natural hair color to be between a 6A and 7A (although my stylist claims that my regrowth looks lighter than that), but I do have red highlights and my hair naturally got gold highlights in the sun.

I now use 8A on my roots and it ends up a reddish dark blonde/light brown... the result looks very close to 7GB on the Goldwell chart.  My hair seems to pull a lot of red when it is colored, and the hair stylists in my new state doubted the formula my former stylist wrote down (TopChic 8A at 20 vol).

Anyway, as I grow out the highlighted ends (I cut off as much as I could, but there are still several inches), the ends and the roots are drastically different.  The latest stylist I visited used a filler and used 8A on my roots and mixed a bunch of colors for the ends, and they came out too ashy without any warmth at all.  I am so frustrated and hesitant to experiment any more with these stylists!

I am tempted to just get a few highlights again to balance it all out, but my hair is so pourous naturally, and the bleaching just damaged it so much.  What can I use on the previously highlighted ends to match a 7GB result on my roots (using 8A)??  Many thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic