Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haircoloring Introduction to Color....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:58am

Edited by Miffny - November 23 2007 at 6:11am
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:21am

Originally posted by Miffny Miffny wrote:

Hi Claude well hope you can help me here I am naturally a base 6 with red tones I had my hair foiled all over within a year to become a block blonde as I am 30% salt'n'pepper grey - I used Goldwell Topchic 10N  with P-Mix 30 vol for 2 years no problems went down in 30 minutes no yellowy gold.

This year has been hell as I went to a hairdresser for a few foils & ended up with huge slices of almost white blonde (Redken lightening crystals with 20 vol were used) as my hair goes down fast with bleach-I was horrified & used a Wella colour touch as a toner in 9/16 violet/ash which looked great but faded fast I am thinking porousity here.

Anyway my 10's were no longer working so I grabbed the 11N & 11P highlift series 2parts 30vol to 1 part tint Plus added P-Mix also added Violet & my re-growth is to my horror is still throwing gold.

I was thinking of going to a 9N & 9A hoping in going darker my hair will stop throwing gold so badly I am putting all this mess down to bleach as last month as a treat I went to a salon for my colour & the hairdresser used blonding cream to rid the band without telling me & I thought how great my hair looked until I used my Goldwell Tints at home (I am an retired HD) I can fix everyone elses hair but mine is giving me grief it is now a level 11 all over way too pale for my liking.

I am going today to get new tints do you think the 9's idea is ok or should I stick with 11's I love being blonde but not at the expense of my hair's condition.

I use all Redken Extreme products & love them so my hair be porous & slightly damaged but not terrible at all just getting the gold out from re-growth is proving a nightmare.

Any idea's??.

TIA Miff.

OK well first of all the white blonde is not a good sign. That means that the pigment was lifted past the so called safe range of pale yellow and even though you toned it and it looked ok for a few days it washed right out. That is because there is not enuff underlying pigment in that hair to even allow the color to grab plus the cuticle layer of the hair is badly damaged and blown open and the haircolor just washes right out. You could try a gold filler there to put that underlying pigment back into the hairstrand but once the hair is damaged that bad from my experiences no pigment is going to hold in that hair.

As for pulling warm the highlift series is meant to give maximum control without having to mix in more control like P-mix.

Decribing your hair without actually seeing it is difficult because you've done so many chemical processes to your own hair. Being a natural level 6 is ok to use with the Highlift Series. Instead of using 11N or 11p which are more suited for Levels 7 & 8 you should try using 11A. Like I said without actually seeing your hair it's difficult for me to tell but you shouldn't need to add P-mix ro any controlling color into that formula as the highlift series is formulated to give maximum control. Remember the 11 series are not colors they are just tints. I would also toss in a little blonding cream ash but don't exceed 25% of your color mixture with the blonding cream. If you doing 40mls of color use 80ml of 30 volume 30ml of 11A & 10ml of blonding cream in the formula. Using that formula on virgin regrowth your hair should result in a 9GB.

When it comes to Redken I will tell you my nutshell summary of this color line....

Redken Color is a horrible color line the gels not shades EQ. It isn't true to color it fades a ton and levels 5 and darker go 1 level darker than what the color really is. The end results typically have no sheen to them and they are very drab and they coat the hair to the point that it makes it hard to refresh the ends of the hair. It's not good at all it's cheap because it's a cheap hair coloring system. When it comes to haircolor you get what you pay for. Goldwell is second to none when it comes to color lines and I've used them all. Those people who think Redken is good is because they are comparing them to the boxed stuff they've used and personally if I had a choice...boxed or Redken I'd hafta give it some serious thought. REDKEN STINKS!

Hope that info helps you out....G'luck

Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:49pm

Thanks so much for the advice

Edited by Miffny - May 04 2008 at 12:54pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:21am

Edited by Miffny - May 04 2008 at 12:55pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 7:08pm

Will keep you posted

Edited by Miffny - May 04 2008 at 12:56pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 11:25pm

Foils for me Smile

Edited by Miffny - June 01 2008 at 2:45pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:47pm

Edited by Miffny - May 04 2008 at 12:57pm
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:30am
foils are the way to go for me wih the occasional tint toner with 10 or less % .

Edited by Miffny - June 01 2008 at 2:47pm
jesusluvsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesusluvsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 11:34pm
i was wondering if it was possible to us e an ash blonde dye to lighten and conteract the orange in light brown hair?

also if you want a color that has a blue violot tone would that b a ash color

Edited by jesusluvsu - June 09 2006 at 12:25pm
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by jesusluvsu jesusluvsu wrote:

i was wondering if it was possible to us e an ash blonde dye to lighten and conteract the orange in light brown hair?

also if you want a color that has a blue violot tone would that b a ash color

It is possible to use an Ash color to counteract the orange in light brown hair however it will not lighten it. Color over previously colored hair will not lighten it. It will only reduce that orange or brassiness. Also you better make sure that Ash you are using is a Blue Based Ash. I know Goldwell uses Blue base for their Ash color however several companies like Redken, CHI, Paul Mitchell all use a green base to their Ash series so please make sure you have it right otherwise you will have green mixed with orange and that might be one of the 64 colors in a box of crayola's but it will look like crap on your hair and you will not be happy. Then your looking at BIG BUCKS at a salon to have corrective color work done.
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:47am
Getting back blonder again without bleach I am seeing a great hairdresser who has managed to lighten the darker tinted hair (goldwell 11Ash previously) with Wella Koleston 12A(blue based)he slightly overlapped & the darker lightened up so that was 5 weeks ago as I let my re-growth go a week or two longer if not more now.Also no pain at all.
Scntillatedseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scntillatedseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 3:21am

Oookay, hair colouring's a lot more complicated than I'd of thought.  Well, here goes anyways.  I was curious as to what tones and shades I can go to that would look good on me(i'm a natural Asian black) but I coloured my hair a few months back to a dark brownish colour.  And I highlighted my own hair a little more than a month back(not very noticable). 

I was thinking of putting a medium reddish brown with a section of strawberry blonde in my hair or strawberry blonde high-lights, but I'm not sure it'd work with my skin tone and secondly i have no idea how to do it myself.  I do have a warm skin tone which is the reason i'm going with the warmer colours.  A good idea I think?

I woud like to know how I would get to to what I want with the haricolour i ahve right now.  Knowing the colour codes would be very helpful as well, since I can get some of the professional dye's and bleach from a friend. 

Chardonnay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chardonnay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 10:39am
Hi Claude.  I hope you can help me here.  Over 6 months I did colorfix twice after not doing color for months.  Then over the past 3 months I have done 3 bleach baths leaving on only 10 mins each time.  I think i started with a lvel 5.    My color is now light orange on top and a bit darker as it goes down the shaft.  I just want to get rid of the orange now.  Is there any demi I could use and should it be ash?  I was going to try clairol demi in 10G but I am not sure what that would do to the orange.   Later I plan to just add a few lite blond streaks b/c i have some grey in front which looks white!  I was hoping for the light golden blonde look somewhere between 7-9 and it doesn't have to be perfect.   I am most concerened with getting rid of orange with as little damage as possible.  I would prefer to stay with demi, but if not possible will do permenant.

Thanks so much!!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Chardonnay Chardonnay wrote:

Hi Claude.  I hope you can help me here.  Over 6 months I did colorfix twice after not doing color for months.  Then over the past 3 months I have done 3 bleach baths leaving on only 10 mins each time.  I think i started with a lvel 5.    My color is now light orange on top and a bit darker as it goes down the shaft.  I just want to get rid of the orange now.  Is there any demi I could use and should it be ash?  I was going to try clairol demi in 10G but I am not sure what that would do to the orange.   Later I plan to just add a few lite blond streaks b/c i have some grey in front which looks white!  I was hoping for the light golden blonde look somewhere between 7-9 and it doesn't have to be perfect.   I am most concerened with getting rid of orange with as little damage as possible.  I would prefer to stay with demi, but if not possible will do permenant.

Thanks so much!!

To neutralize that orange it needs to be a blue base ash. There are some color lines that are Green Base Ash....don't use those...make sure it's blue base ash.

Using 10G on Orange hair is only going to make it more brassy. 10G is a Yellow base....add Yellow to Orange and that's kinda what the result will be. You need to neutralize that orange with a blue base ash.

G'luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chardonnay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 3:20pm
Thank you Claude!  The ash demi won't darken it will it?  I like the lightness of the color just not the brassy orange.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 9:46pm

Thank you Claude!  The ash demi won't darken it will it?  I like the lightness of the color just not the brassy orange.

Do a test strand first before you do your whole head.....5 min possibly....rinse it, dry it see how ya like it. If it didn't tone it enuff put it back on for a little longer. As long as you are not a lvl 7 and using a lvl 5 or 6 ash it won't darken it. If you lvl 7 use a lvl 7 ash to tone it. What you are doing is changing the tint to get rid of the brassiness.

G'luck

Edited by Claude - July 14 2006 at 9:48pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chardonnay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

Do a test strand first before you do your whole head.....5 min possibly....rinse it, dry it see how ya like it. If it didn't tone it enuff put it back on for a little longer. As long as you are not a lvl 7 and using a lvl 5 or 6 ash it won't darken it. If you lvl 7 use a lvl 7 ash to tone it. What you are doing is changing the tint to get rid of the brassiness.

G'luck

You're brilliant!  Thank you. I will try tomorrow. 
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:07am
seems like a lot of people now what theyre talking about here, so i wanted to throw my question in... i have light orangish hair from dyeing it a light blond about a week and a half ago. i HATE orange. so i bought bleach today. probably the wrong move, but i used to bleach it white when i was younger and dug it.. though i am worried.. what if it just turns pale yellow, and what if i FRY it because i just dyed it?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Afakeleg Afakeleg wrote:

seems like a lot of people now what theyre talking about here, so i wanted to throw my question in... i have light orangish hair from dyeing it a light blond about a week and a half ago. i HATE orange. so i bought bleach today. probably the wrong move, but i used to bleach it white when i was younger and dug it.. though i am worried.. what if it just turns pale yellow, and what if i FRY it because i just dyed it?

Bleach will get that color out but it will also lighten the haircolor. Hair is in it's most fragile state when it's white which is lighter than you should ever bleach your hair. You certainly won't be able to color it back and have much success of any color holding in that hair once you bleach it past the pale yellow stage. If you just want to get rid of the orange or brassiness try using a blue base ash as your current color level to tone it. Try a test strand...leave it on 5 minutes rinse, dry and check it out. If you need to do it longer then you can if not then do the rest the same time and the brassiness will be gone.

Will you fry your hair with bleach? Anything is possible....if you don't know what you are doing please goto a salon and have a professional do it. You can get chemical burns on your scalp if you use bleach improperly or have a allergic reaction to it due to the strength. You could even incur breakage at or near the scalp if you leave the bleach on too long and permanently damage the cuticle layer of the hair strands so they break off...then your going to have hair that can't maintain a good balance of moisture in the cortex of the hairstrand and you will end up with dry, frizzy, brittle hair that will eventually break off.

My advice is seek a professional if you are attemping this....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! There are important factors that play into the hair's health before, during and after a bleaching process such as the hair texture, and hair density......also the current overall health of the hair before the process is important as well. A professional can properly evaluate this as it is what we are trained for.

Edited by Claude - July 16 2006 at 9:04am
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:53pm
Thanks Claude... ok I've been looking at Wella Colo Charms permanent conditioning gel. ... I want the orange out but would aslo like it.. pretty much as light as I can get. ... they have 4 ash (palest/lightest) blondes I can't decide between. 2 are violet/blue based ... one is violet based.. and the other is blue based... i know you said blue based, but would violet/blue be better?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic