Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haircoloring Introduction to Color....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:58pm
oh and one of the violet/blue based is a level 10, the other violet blue is 12, the blue is 12 and the violet is 11 ....  i keep thinking ill go for the frosty ash, which is blue based and a level 12 .... my second choice is palest ash blonde, which is violet blue based and a level 10. i guess im just not sure which one to get
Scntillatedseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scntillatedseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 3:53am
Hi Claude, I have dyed brownish to black hair, how would I get to an auburn red with blonde streaks? 

Since I did dye my hair, getting to auburn and blonde would be a bit of trouble right?  Would I have to bleach first, and then put on the colour-- and then if I want high-lights I'd have to bleach and add the colour again if I want another colour on top of the yellowish orange, bleached hair right? 

If for example I wanted auburn red, figure the number would be about 45B and for the blonde it would be about a 8b or RB, if I wanted warmer colours correct?

Edited by Scntillatedseed - July 18 2006 at 4:29am
Chardonnay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chardonnay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

Originally posted by Chardonnay Chardonnay wrote:

Thank you Claude!  The ash demi won't darken it will it?  I like the lightness of the color just not the brassy orange.

Do a test strand first before you do your whole head.....5 min possibly....rinse it, dry it see how ya like it. If it didn't tone it enuff put it back on for a little longer. As long as you are not a lvl 7 and using a lvl 5 or 6 ash it won't darken it. If you lvl 7 use a lvl 7 ash to tone it. What you are doing is changing the tint to get rid of the brassiness.

G'luck

Hi Claude. I tried a strand test and it seemed to be ok.  but then when I did the rest of my hair for 5 mins, it didn't seem to do anything to the orange.  It is not the light orange is so bad, it is just wrong for my pale white skin.   I want something more beigy or golden tone.  I used  clairol demi  10A. 
Any other ideas?
Thank you so much!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:46am
Did you mix all the color...do a strand test let it process for how long then put the rest of the color which was already mixed on your hair? What was the time in between? Color oxidizes as it sits....which is why it might not have done anything. What is your current haircolor level? I'd need to see a picture to better help you.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Scntillatedseed Scntillatedseed wrote:

Hi Claude, I have dyed brownish to black hair, how would I get to an auburn red with blonde streaks? 

Since I did dye my hair, getting to auburn and blonde would be a bit of trouble right?  Would I have to bleach first, and then put on the colour-- and then if I want high-lights I'd have to bleach and add the colour again if I want another colour on top of the yellowish orange, bleached hair right? 

If for example I wanted auburn red, figure the number would be about 45B and for the blonde it would be about a 8b or RB, if I wanted warmer colours correct?

You would hafta use bleach since your hair is previously colored. So you want 2 colors...auburn red then blonde highlights....well you can do a 2 step process and throw in some foils with bleach to lighten the areas to be red....then tone them to the red or auburn color with a semi-permenent auburn then dry the hair with your new red highlights then go in and do more foils with bleach to go blonde....you might need to tone the blonde slightly because as bleach lightens the hair pulls warm with something like a 9N for a few minutes.

I dunno what 45B is what color line are you using?

I would think maybe a 6RB or 7RB which is Red Brown and then 9GB or 10GB which is Gold/Beige for the blonde highlights after lightening to tone it.
Chardonnay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chardonnay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

Did you mix all the color...do a strand test let it process for how long then put the rest of the color which was already mixed on your hair? What was the time in between? Color oxidizes as it sits....which is why it might not have done anything. What is your current haircolor level? I'd need to see a picture to better help you.

I only mixed enuff for the strand test and left on for 5 mins like you said.  It is so hard to tell with my hair but it seemed to 'darken' it a bit so I thought it worked.  So then I mixed a whole fresh batch and proceed to do just the bangs and the top where it is most orange.  While it may have toned it down a teensy bit it is still bright bozo orange.  maybe even a little lighter.

The color is more orange than the light in this picture shows

Edited by Chardonnay - July 18 2006 at 5:56pm
lucy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:18am
I have been coloring my naturally dirty blonde hair for over 18 years using Clarol Torrids 101B Breathless blonde w/ a 40 vol processor. This color turns a bright violet / blue on my hair, so does a good job at toning down brassiness.
The problem is, as I get older, my hair is getting a bit brassier, especially in-between colorings. Also, my hair is very long -- to my lower back, so ends are brassy since I only get my roots touched up.
My hair is very healthy, especially for being long, and I don't want to screw it up, but I really want to do something to lighten, brighten and counter the brassiness. The purple tinted shampoos really don't do much for me.
I read that I need to use a toner, and purchased a pale blond clairol toner that says it counters yellow / brassy undertonds, &  requires a 20 vol processor. I was on the verge of using it, but noticed that under the toner name, it said it was a yellow based toner. Now I'm nervous, since I feel certain that I need a blue-violet base.
I was thinking of mixing my color (the clairol torrids), processor and some conditioner and running it all through my hair, but it sounds like you feel that this is a bad idea? Help! I really want a nice, creamy pale blonde, and it's getting downrighty goldy!
Butterflies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterflies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 2:00pm

I've been using Redken for about 4 years in my pryer salon. The owners of the salon were not that good in teaching the color line. So I'm still not very confident with Redken.

I wanted to know if Goldwell is easier to understand or learn than Redken , as I've heard better things about Goldwell.

Edited by Butterflies - November 15 2006 at 3:13pm
Autumn42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 4:59am
Would like information to put more honey, beige etc into my hair.  At the present ive used the violet base color and its just to white.  How do I get some little darker tones and not turn green or some other odd looking color.  Few weeks ago used a base gold color and looked terrible.  Thanks for any help.
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 8:01am
Goldwells GB colours are just beautiful I filled my friends white over bleached blonde hair with the gold beige it looks fabulous not a brassy gold but a clear golden with enough beige to give it a pretty pastel hue.I used 9GB .Also comes in darker GB's 5-7-8 being the darker tones & -9-10 & 11 GB's being the lighter.

Edited by Miffny - November 19 2006 at 8:05am
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 12:05pm
Hi Claude!
I'm a newbie and use the Goldwell Topchic color line on my own hair. Your "Intro to Color" posts have help me tremendously! My former stylist used to do a glazing after color (all Goldwell line, but once using Redkin glaze), which really seemed to lock in the color and help my fine hair stay "healthy". But, I cannot seem to find an online source to order clear glaze and since I'm not a "professional" stylist, I don't seem to have accesss to all resources. Any advice and also, any thoughts on glazing in general?
Thanks!
SoFine
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 8:17pm
Use a sahmpoo for color treated hair like L'ANZA. Their Magic Bullet hair therapy really helps to preserve haircolor. Or you could try something like CHI's Silk Infusion as well. Anything to smooth down that cuticle and prevent it from drying and breaking off will help preserve the haircolor but all haircolor is artificial and it will fade regardless of what you do.
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 11:30am
Thanks for the info. Have you used clear glaze treatments after haircoloring? My former stylist said it's basically a hair color formula, but it's clear. Loved the result on my fine, straight hair. I'd like to try it at home but not sure what it's called within the Goldwell line (Topchic number?). I've tried some over the counter glazes (like John Frieda color glaze) and it's terrible. Makes the hair feel brittle but at the same time is difficult to rinse and leaves scalp greasy. Ugh...help!
SoFine
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by sofine sofine wrote:

Thanks for the info. Have you used clear glaze treatments after haircoloring? My former stylist said it's basically a hair color formula, but it's clear. Loved the result on my fine, straight hair. I'd like to try it at home but not sure what it's called within the Goldwell line (Topchic number?). I've tried some over the counter glazes (like John Frieda color glaze) and it's terrible. Makes the hair feel brittle but at the same time is difficult to rinse and leaves scalp greasy. Ugh...help!

I'm pretty sure the Goldwell Clear Glaze is a Colorance called Colorance Clear which is their semi-permanent line of color. It doesn't do much more than a shine serum like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny or Chi's Silk Infusion. I actually think Chi's Silk Infusion is superior and also far less expensive.
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 6:48pm
Thanks! I'll try the Chi. Have you ever used Goldwell Trendline Spun Shine Extreme? Or Pureology Nano Glaze Styling Cream? I just ordered these products, hoping for "glazing" results.
SoFine
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 6:49pm
Thanks! I'll try the Chi. Have you ever used Goldwell Trendline Spun Shine Extreme? Or Pureology Nano Glaze Styling Cream? I just ordered these products, hoping for "glazing" results.
SoFine
LLJones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 12:59am
I just wanted to post and say it is great to see your first posts Claude.  I've been using Goldwell for the last 20 years and am a GTA for the company also.  Your formulations are bang on and your advice is great.   
ariana79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariana79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 8:05am
Claude, do you know of any other companies that do the blue based ash in addition to Goldwell?

I have some #4 hair extensions that have an orangey/reddish tint to them  and I wanted to add some ash colored highlights. Is this something I can do at home or would you suggest giving it to a professional to color?

TIA
Foxyloxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxyloxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 12:13am
Ion has blue based ash.
Linda :)
HANNELIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HANNELIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 3:43am
HI CLAUDE

Your so good with hair colouring, which colour best suits green eyes and tanned skin?  I have been struggling to get the right haircolor to bring out my eyes but I do not seem to get it right?

ANy suggestions??Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic