Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haircoloring Introduction to Color....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
babygyrl799 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babygyrl799 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 11:59pm
This is good info but i am new to the "at home colouring". I used Pure White 20 and a powder lightener. My roots turned very blond and the rest and orange rusty color. can i put color over it to correct it ( i dont want to go too lite) or ????
**babygyrl799**
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 2:43am
I trying to digest all this information wich is very helpful for me.
But I am going to ask for you advice because I did it again!
I had a very light brown and a month ago I used a temporary hair dye in chocolate. It came up as something red. After a month I ended up with a light redish almost blonde.
I used Natural Match NO ammonia from L'Oreal in medium Ash brown and it turned out the Darkest Brown possible.
What can I do now to bring my hair to a Light Brown OR

I have washed my hair with baking soda and sulfite soap but the colour will not fade out.
I will try tomorow with Prell shampoo if I can find it. Until then I just look at me in the mirror and my husband keeps telling me I look good because he knows how much a colour correction it would charge his account:))

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Lizura Lizura wrote:

I trying to digest all this information wich is very helpful for me.
But I am going to ask for you advice because I did it again!
I had a very light brown and a month ago I used a temporary hair dye in chocolate. It came up as something red. After a month I ended up with a light redish almost blonde.
I used Natural Match NO ammonia from L'Oreal in medium Ash brown and it turned out the Darkest Brown possible.
What can I do now to bring my hair to a Light Brown OR

I have washed my hair with baking soda and sulfite soap but the colour will not fade out.
I will try tomorow with Prell shampoo if I can find it. Until then I just look at me in the mirror and my husband keeps telling me I look good because he knows how much a colour correction it would charge his account:))

Without me actually getting my hands into your hair it's hard to give proper advice.  You keep using boxed haircolor which is 32% ammonium. It's very drying and damaging to hair. You could have cuticle damage to the hairstrands which is why the semi-permanent hairdye has remained in the hair. If there is no protective layer of hair (the cuticle layer) the color would go right to the cortex and stain the hair. This might be more noticible on the ends of the hair which might be a little darker. Signs that your hair is damaged is that it takes forever to dry with a blow dryer. Feels cotton candy like, tangles easily, etc.

Corrective color is big bucks and typically starts at $90 for short hair and goes up to as much as $250. If you can't afford that goto a beauty school. Regardless don't attempt anything like stripping or bleaching your hair unless you are willing to risk further damage to possibly already damaged hair where the end result could be a much shorter haircut that you have now.

Leave it to the professionals.
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 3:14pm
Thank you Claude!
 I will not go to a professional now because I am short on money and I will have to go to someone really good. I actually heard about someone really good in Chicago.
When I went to someone else 3 months ago unfortunately I had the same problem...darker ends, almost gray and brown top.
I am really a disaster...I am changing my hair colour too many times a year...
I will attach later a photo of my hair so you can maybe see better what's happening. My hair is really dry with split ends but no cotton candy like and I can detangle it pretty easy. I have always used a good shampoo like Fekay the one with proteins and condtioners after every bath and also olive oil .
What conditioners can I use now to save what is left of my hair?
And another question: can I make my hair turn to a more brownish reflection using conditioners for blond hair ( in time, like inhttp://beautyexclusive.stores.yahoo.net/ted-gibson-glimmering-gold-conditioner-for-blond-hair.html a few months maybe)while the initial colour it fades out.Maybe something like this:

Thank you so much again.
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 3:18pm
Thank you Claude!
 I will not go to a professional now because I am short on money and I will have to go to someone really good. I actually heard about someone really good in Chicago.
When I went to someone else 3 months ago unfortunately I had the same problem...darker ends, almost gray and brown top.
I am really a disaster...I am changing my hair colour too many times a year...
I will attach later a photo of my hair so you can maybe see better what's happening. My hair is really dry with split ends but no cotton candy like and I can detangle it pretty easy. I have always used a good shampoo like Fekay the one with proteins and condtioners after every bath and also olive oil .
What conditioners can I use now to save what is left of my hair?
And another question: can I make my hair turn to a more brownish reflection using conditioners for blond hair ( in time, like inhttp://beautyexclusive.stores.yahoo.net/ted-gibson-glimmering-gold-conditioner-for-blond-hair.html a few months maybe)while the initial colour it fades out.Maybe something like this:

Thank you so much again.
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 3:21pm
I will re enter the link for the product I want you to see:http://beautyexclusive.stores.yahoo.net/ted-gibson-glimmering-gold-conditioner-for-blond-hair.html

Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 3:32pm
I have one question on here.I used Colorfix about a month ago to get my hair ends lighter.Well, it turned it dark again,so I colored over like 3 diff. times.It looks ok,but is still not what I want.I know, i'm gonna have to wait to do anything.I just want to know what I should do next when I do color it.I wanna color it again in about 2 months.I wanna try colorfix again.My hair is now red,but it looks redder in the sun.I want a really red, not a red that looks kinda brownish red.My natural hair color is light golden brown.I don't want a fake ass color.The color I used was Lightest Auburn.I love that color.My roots r the color I really want.Which I know why they r that light.Because it's my new hair growth.What's so funny is.My hair is growing fast.Even though I color the hell outta my hair.My sister-in-law bleaches hers & it still isn't growing like mine.I must tell u, I really color it alot! I need to stop.I'm obessed with iIt.I can't even go anywhere near a haircolor ale,lol! I'm sure glad u guys r here to help my crazy ass!
johnhills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnhills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 1:11am
Hair Colors(haircolors) – Hairs are Beauty Women  Buy all Quality Hair Colors(haircolors) at HerbsMD.See hair color with the power of plants. Our original formulas leave hair essentially damage-free—infused with conditioning plant oils for shinier, healthy-looking color.

http://haircolors.blogspot.com/
kallard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 11:25am
I am considering changing my hair color. This is not unusual, as I have been changing my hair color since I was 13 and I am now 41. However, this is the first time that I would be making the change that I am considering...from a level 1-2 to about a level 5-7 RED. Let me start from the beginning...

My natural color (if I can really be sure because I have dyed as soon as it shows up) is probably a level 3 with 25% grey. This is a huge guess. I cannot tell you the tone, because it does not get long enough. When I was a child, it had red gold tones, but it darkened from a 6 or 7 to the present 3 with age.

I typically dye it to a level 2, but right now I have a semi-permanent level 1...which I can tell is fading. In the sunlight it has a red brown tone. The previous permanent color underneath was a burgundy color.

To make it more complicated, I have bleached sections in front, to about a level 10 that I often dye with Special Effects color...right now, a very faded purple that looks lavendar/pink. This gets a lot of compliments, but I'm tired of it...have had it this way for almost a year.

I was considering a color close to this:

I know I have to go through a series of steps of removing color, bleaching, etc. But would like some advice on this...especially since I have the already bleached parts...that's my biggest concern. How much do I need to lighten it to be able to get this color? What color should I use after bleaching, and does the tone matter as much since I am already going red?

My hair is fine, of medium density, but holds up fair well under all of this. It is cut just a little shorter than the picture above as well, so is not a huge undertaking as far as length goes. I have had reds before and know that they look good on me as well, so am not concerned about this either. I have 2 daughters with ginger hair.
sima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 10:33am
Hi Claude,
thank you so much for the incredible amount of info! I have been dabbling with L'oreal's Majirel now for years (essentially similar to the system you describe, except it uses numbers). I have dark brown hair (I suppose in the 3-4 region, maybe more like 4) and have yellow/ orange undertones. My question is this (I am not sure you will reply, but I can but try given that you are the ultimate information mine!):

I have for many years now used 6.1 (this means level 6, and the 1 means "ash") with a  20 vol. developer. This has always given me a pleasant warm (but not brassy) light brown which has generated compliments from professional hairdressers... BUT: because my hair has recently become finer (due to an iron deficiency - long story), the colour looks not only lighter, but more orange. SO: I have thought of going blue-violet and opting for 6.12 (so, level 6, with first ash (1), then violet (2). I assume the ash is in a higher proportion than the violet, which is probably a good thing).  However, 6.12 does not exist. They have 5.12 and 9.12, and I could mix them in different proportions to get to level 6.12, but it is such a pain).

So - I came across 6.23, which is a mystery to me. 2 is violet, and 3 is gold! The 2 and the 3 would cancel each other out, thus probably producing a "perfect" brown (although the 2 comes before the 3, so perhaps the smaller amount gold merely "buffers" the violet to make it look less purple). But I would have my yellowy/ orangey undertones to contend with, and have a feeling they would come through because of the yellow in the colour. Most importantly, it doesn't contain any ash (1), and I think I need ash more than anything! My last option would be to mix my original 6.1 (lighest ash brown) with a smaller proportion of the 6,23. What do you think? I have both colours to hand but I just wanted to see if I could squeeze some advice from you before embarking on a risky mission.

...or, by thinking out loud, have I just answered my own question? Don't know. I don't feel confident about this one....

All the best, and even if you don't reply, I am thankful for all the help you provide in your original thread. Hugs from Sima X
squeezy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 3:22am
Hi Claude,

Thank you so much for your insightful tips! So far this forum has been the most informative. I have been getting my hair colored professionally for my hair red for a few years now, but in light of the recent down spiral in the economy I can't really afford to continue with the expensive trips to the salon. I know that my colorist uses  the formula  6k, 6KR and 6KG, which seems from my research that she uses goldwell coloring (based on the letters). Unfortunately I don't know the ratio, but I'm guessing that she uses less of the 6kr (pomegranate color) since thats the darkest color and my hair is more coppery than purple. At any rate, I was wondering what number developer I would use with this formula. My natural hair color is a a light brown/reddish highlights so probably a level 5?

I also wasn't sure which line of goldwell to get, so I purchased 6k, 6kr, 6kg of the colorance line and did a strand test, but that clearly was not the right choice since when I mixed the color with the "lotion" it was very watery and not the creamy mixture that I get at the salon. Also, the root of the tested strand didnt take the color, so its clear that the formula used in the salon is permanent color, not demi like colorance. Do you think I can use the same formula with the topchic colors?

Thanks for you help!!
melll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 5:45pm
Hiii

i need your help, at the hairdressers i have 11A and 11N goldwell topchic high lift on my hair with 40vol and was wondering cause now im going to start doing it myself, how much ml's of 11A and 11N would i use? i know the ratio is 2:1

thanks mel xx
blonde411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blonde411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 8:12pm
Hi Claude,
Ten years ago, before I had kids, I used to live in Philadelphia on the main line and I went to a salon which used Goldwell color.   The girl there used to use Goldwell 11N on my hair. I loved the color it would be and the soft blonde buttery highlights that I had naturally (when I was little) were back. I have not had such a good experience with highlights since, no matter how fancy the salon I have tried and how much I have paid. I know that my well water is partially to blame for this as well (and I have become a slave to Redken Pre Art treatments).

My mom is one of those people that is just "good at hair," period.   Had she not become the fabulous teacher that she is, I think she could have been a tremendous colorist of hair cutter. At anyrate, I have now not had my hair highlighted in months, I just cannot get there anymore. She has finally given in and said that if I can get the right product, she will do it for me, as apparently, I look lifeless and washed out without my highlights (only a mother could tell you that).

I have been on Goldwell's website and I have looked up the fact sheet on the Top Chic color for 11N. My base has only gotten darker after each child and with age, and so I think I need to mix the 11N with the Topchic lotion 12% (40 vol).

I would say that I am definitely lightening my hair four shades.

I would be so grateful if I could ask you some questions.

*The Goldwell fact sheet also talks about the possibility of using a blonding creme mixed in as well. I do not know if my old Philadelphia stylist used this. Can you tell me if this is something you would recommend?   I like my highlights to look more cool, think butter. I do not like any warm toned or brassiness at all.

*In addition, do I need to use what I think you called a color controller (maybe in the P or V family in order to make certain that it is not brassy? Goldwell says the 11 series is a highlighter and toner in one.   What do you think?   

* Lastly, I think that the end two thirds of my hair is a little solid looking and I read under the "Tips" section:

Tips: • Use Colorance Demi-Permanent acid shades to color balance
midlengths and ends after highlifting

What does this mean? And if this is to correct that "solid" look that I have, which demi permanent acid shade would I use?

They also say
• It is not recommended to pull highlift color through pre-lightened hair
Does this mean that they only wnt me to put the 11N on my roots and leave out the hair that is the midlength portion that has old blonde color in it?

• When highlifting, always treat the darkest parts of the hair first
Does this mean do the roots first?

• When using the highlift series, apply to the hairline for the last
15–20 minutes of processing time
What does this mean? I thought the roots took the longest?

• Processing time is 45 minutes (without heat) or 30 minutes
(with heat – open air system only)
Do I set the timer for 45 minutes for my whole head? or do I rinse out the first part that I highlighted first? Should I highlight from bottom to top? or top to bottom?

Shel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 10:51am
Hi Claude, and thank you so much, you're the best - hands down!Clap

Here is my question.

I am naturally about a Level 3/4 (more 3).
My natural shade is neutral - not heavily gold, or blue, but if I had to pick I'd say my natural is closer to the ashy shade.

I am targeting a Level 8 (Light Blonde), I'd go lighter, but I don't think I can achieve without bleach, and don't want to do that. 

I am also targeting a color/shade that is the furthest from gold I can get - it is very unflattering on my skin tone (which is med/light wth pink tones).

So I'm looking for that beigey, pearl tone blonde, sanding, beachy, you know the shade!Big%20smile

From what I can tell from reading your blogs, I would use 40 developer + bleaching cream + a color + a controller.  Correct?

If I want to end up 8, do I use 8 color, Light Beige Blonde or Light Ash Blonde?  And then I would use a Pearl or Blue/Violet Controller in the same number?

I'm confused over the 11 numbers and such, thinking maybe I should pick a higher number than 8 to get to 8?

And one more thing, you say to use no more than 25% of controller to color.  I am assuming you mean color only, not 25% of color + volumizer right? 

I'm getting there, and thanks, I'll away your response Confused

Shel
Shel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 5:09pm
If not Claude, can anyone help me?
Shel
emdee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 3:28pm
Very informational post! However, I'm still not expert at hair Sleepy

I have a question. So, I'm planning to have my hair colored. My natural color is dark brown almost black (level 2-3) . I have light/pale skin tone with rosy cheeks.. sometimes too pink, and brown eyes.

If I were to dye my hair all black (I've done black before, and liked it), what color highlights would be best? Or, if I had dyed my hair brown, what color highlights would you suggest??

I'm desperate for a new look and I honestly have no idea in mind. So suggestions would really help, thanks much Smile

Edited by emdee - July 01 2010 at 3:31pm
johns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 2:01pm
Hi friends, Thanks for sharing some good information about haircolouring i am also using hair colour 3.6 burgundy for my hair because some of my hair is white. It is really helpful to me

chemist

Thanks

Edited by johns - August 08 2010 at 2:02pm
jenius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 10:54am
I'm a newbie as the salon I've had my hair colored at closed after 15 years.  Cry  My stylist gave me the color formula she used on my hair and I'd like to try coloring my own hair. 

I have dark brown  (almost black) and about 30% gray hair.  My stylist used Goldwell's Top Chic 6NA + 20Vol for 30 minutes.  It gave me a nice natural brown that's just a little lighter than my natural color without brassiness. 

How do I know what ratio of developer to use?  Any help is much appreciated
jenn
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 9:25am
If you ask at Sally's they should be able to tell you the ratio. Or check Sally's on line. I think if you bring up Top Chic you'll find the ratio.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by jenius jenius wrote:

I'm a newbie as the salon I've had my hair colored at closed after 15 years.  Cry  My stylist gave me the color formula she used on my hair and I'd like to try coloring my own hair. 

I have dark brown  (almost black) and about 30% gray hair.  My stylist used Goldwell's Top Chic 6NA + 20Vol for 30 minutes.  It gave me a nice natural brown that's just a little lighter than my natural color without brassiness. 

How do I know what ratio of developer to use?  Any help is much appreciated
The mixing ratio for Goldwell Top Chic is equal parts better known as a 1:1 mixing ratio.

Hope that helps ya.

G'luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic