Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shedding Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shedding Question
    Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:58am

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could "shed" some light on shedding for me. I know that around 50-100 shed hairs a day is normal. I think I am actually under that range. But one thing I have noticed is that my shed hairs are different lengths and ages. Some hairs that are shed are long and healthy looking, some are shorter, some are newer grays, some are older hairs. Does anyone have a good explanation for why this is the case? Does shorter shed hairs mean shorter terminal length? (I guess this is really two questions, hehe). Thanks!

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:49pm

Some hairs on the head will naturally have a shorter terminal length... this usually includes hairs on the nape, the hairline, by the ears, etc... essentially, the hairs that are on the "edges". Kinda like different people growing at different rates, dying at different times.

Um. Bad analogy.  

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 3:20am
Hey SK...all of my shed hairs are completely different lengths/types too.  I think it's normal and doesn't really indicate the whole terminal length thing.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:12am

Whew! Good to hear, Anais and Rini! I was a bit worried there for a bit. Thanks for the info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:13am
Ooooh, nice signature photos Anais! What a pretty braid, and the waves are amazing!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:34pm
Thanks SpecialKitty
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:47pm
Wowee, that's a great new picture, AnaisSatin!  Your braid is so thick! Gah!

Anyway, SK, I get the same thing, too.  Fallout of all lengths of strands, even short ones (more lately, as I recently discontinued a prescription medication specifically used to reduce hair fallout).  So, don't stress it.  (um, bad pun not intended )
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 9:06pm
SpecialKitty....I like your  new sig pic!!!  I think we have a very similar wave pattern

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:18pm

Thank You Rini. You're right! When I was showing my sister the photos on the board, she pointed at yours and said "isn't that you?" She thought the waves looked just like mine (despite out difference in color). I think your shine and color are great - that's what I'm shooting for over the months to come....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic