Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

America’s Next Top Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Katie C Lover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie C Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 11:59am
Kyle didn't get her hair cut like a boy. She had her long blonde hair dyed to a chocolate brown and kept her length. You must have her confsed with one of the other models...
utopiaschild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utopiaschild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 1:41pm
I just wanted to comment on the article, "Reality Hair Makeovers - America's Next Top Model" posted on Feb. 27, 2005 (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip11016.htm). (Yeah, I know I am a tad late, but I just ran across the article.) I agree with most of the article concluding that to be in the modelling industry, it takes versatility and a willingness to change with little reaction. However, I don't agree with the poster's comment that, "The reality of the situation is that neither anti-curlism or racism was involved." Black Racism is very much alive in that show just as it is present in our everyday society (as pointed out in the court cases presented in the article). The fact that African American women have to be pegged as having attitudes is even more racist; there have been others that have not enjoyed their makeovers. But, I don't wish to go into a long message about my views over the problems with the changes that women of color have to undergo to be made "beautiful" in America's eyes, but i will pose this question concerning "hair makeovers," do you ever think that Tyra will have a contestant be made over from having long, voluminous shiny blonde straight hair to having a large, voluminous, shiny black kinky afro???
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 9:01pm
Racisim, stereotyping, and prejudice are alive everywhere in society, and I agree with you that to deny it is not present would be a false statement.  But I wouldn't consider it a racial stereotype as much as I would argue that it's a cultural stereotype.  No matter if a person is white, black arabic, etc there are general stereotypes for each, but people generally tend to follow cultural ways where they live (which many times can be areas of predominantly a particular race).

When choosing a model who will be in the public eye, the judges have to choose a girl who is easily likable and presents herself in a professional, courteous manner.  I don't think that African American women are pegged as having attitudes in general...there have been many African American girls without obvious attitudes and many non-African American women with attitudes on the show.  But once again, speech and values are generally a cultural thing...people of lower income levels or people who have to defend themsleves more often have developed stronger, more defensive personalities that can often be received as having an attitude.

I also believe that women have to undergo changes to be made "beautiful" in America's eyes (just look at reality show plastic surgery makeovers)... however, I don't believe that only African American women are expected to change to be beautiful for model standards...every women regardless of color is expected to change, and (as you said) to be versatile in the modeling field.

In response to your question, I think that it is very possible for a girl to be made over with an afro..however I think that it is unlikely because it wouldn't allow for much versatility with the photoshoots.  It wouldn't be for racial reasons, but rather because the show is searching for a face who can pose and look different for each shoot.  It's easier to create an afro for one shoot and a then have a different hairstyle for another.  Having a single hairstyle in every photo would make the girl appear less versatile.

In my opinion, I think that stereotyping and racism in America is evident, but Americans only continue the stereotype by segregating themselves, whether it be by race, income level, etc.  And I find it funny that people try to claim that everything is racist...while there is an underlying base for stereotyping people by race in the show (sub-conscious or not), the final decision will mostly have to do with the girl's personality, public perception of her (which can indirectly be affected by race), and her versatile modeling capabilities.

Edited by meli - May 17 2006 at 9:04pm
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 9:47am

I appreciate your views but I think you are taking a small amount of the article "out of context" and making it about your viewpoints and feelings against perceived racism.  Certainly the author of the article is expressing her viewpoints about what it takes to be a reality star on that particular show and she has nailed it very well.

Although there is mention that the models "had attitude" about their makeovers, it wasn't just the African American models.  In fact, a blonde model was actually sent home in one of the ATNM editions because she refused to go Twiggy short.  Whether Black Racisum is alive or not in the show is not the focus of the article.  The article is simply reporting the fact that to be a success in the modeling world, whether you are African American, white, Japanese, Hispanic, thin or fat, you must be willing to do whatever it takes to be "marketable" to clothing designers. 

The topic of the article is NOT about racism.  It is about what it takes to be a success on a reality show and that means being willing to have your teeth fixed, your gorgeous long blonde hair shaved off, posing bald or have painful extensions added.

Whether black racism is alive and well in the show is NOT even remotely related to the topic presented in the article, which is simply reporting the facts that in reality TV you do what you have to in order to win.  If you wanted to, you could hang the title "racism" on every reality show from American Idol to The Apprentice to America's Biggest Loser. 

I thought the article was just reporting the reality of what happens to the hair of super model wannabes and buyer beware.

If we want to, we can find racism or anti-curlism, or anti-agism or anti-fatism on every show on Television whether a reality show or not.

God Bless,...
Katie
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:21am
Huh...I don't want to be part of that talk Big smile
What I find horrible is that after size 6, you're considered a plus size model. WTF?
Oh well...
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
SupaFresh208 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Royal Rumble 07 Champ.360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupaFresh208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:17am
ok
"FOR BETTER CONNECTIONS BRUSH SLOWER WITH LESS PRESSURE"

WOLFING COMPLETE = MY WAVES ARE UNTOUCHABLE
citygirls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citygirls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 8:26am
Americas Next Top Model is my favorite show and I really love to watch it. Actually, I am also trying to become a model and this show has taught me a lot of things about modeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic