Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

growing out damaged hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akasara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing out damaged hair?
    Posted: February 27 2006 at 9:40pm

My question. Can you grow damaged hair long?

my hair was damaged (with bleach) about one and a half years ago.
It was mid back length. I had to chop it up to my shoulders and have
been getting it cut. It's still at my shoulders still, a year and half later
and I am tired of it!

I want my long hair back, but I still have about 3-4 inches of damage. I'm
just feeling down because I got another cut yesterday and she chopped it,
she said it was broken. Anyway, I just wonder if all these cuts are
necessary, Maybe long hair damaged is better than shorter hair (which is
still damaged, but growing out)? URgghhhh

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:29pm

Well it is really up to you.  Some ppl grow their hair out with the damaged parts still there and just gradually trim it over time and so keep the length, but diminish the damaged parts.  Other ppl prefer to chop off all the damage and start afresh.  Your hair will still grow (if the roots aren't damaged).

Stick around here and you can learn some ways to "baby" those ends and make them softer and appear to blend in with your good hair a bit better.  You may then find you can go longer between trims.  You might also want to do your own trims so that you can judge for yourself what is damaged and needs to be cut off.  You might save some length this way.

Don't worry, it will grow long again...it is just going to take some time and some TLC.  Good luck!! :)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:34pm
I agree with Rini, Akasara. I opted for doing many small trims over several years to grow out a lot of damage, and I'm still working at it. But I didn't want to cut all my hair off to start fresh. I think it is definitely possible to grow out damaged hair, you just have to stop whatever is causing the damage entirely (drying, straightening, wind, friction, hair bands, brushing, combing, coloring all cause damage). Be very gentle with your hair. Lots of great recent advice on this board for taking care of damaged hair. You can do it!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 7:09am
It sounds like you don't really have much damage left.  You'll need to keep it trimmed to the point where the damaged parts don't cause splits that split up into your healthy hair, but you're so close to the end now you sound like you'd be happier if you let some length grow in and just take care of the last few inches in smaller trims (that way you get the best of both worlds).  Then if you get sick of the damaged parts later, you can always decide to be rid of them.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic