Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dye/ Color tracks to look like roots?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dye/ Color tracks to look like roots?
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:34pm

Hey...I dont think Ive ever seen this postd here...but it was something I was thinking about trying.

My natural color is dark blonde/light brown. I used to use bleach alot on my hair to get to the #613 color. Well after years of doing it I decided to quit doing it and am living with a little darker blonde. Nowadays I color my roots with a blonde dye and occasionally highlight. Mostly just highlight the top area and a few highlights throughout. The underneath of my hair and the roots have a strawberry blonde #27ish color while the length and generally what is visable is about #22 and #613.

I always match the extensions to the length...and it looks very good. But at the root area with the extensions in, its a sharp contrast. The #22 or #613 extensions are very different from the root color of my hair.

What I was wondering is if I used say... a strawberry blonde or a dark blonde hair dye and  colored just the track area making it look like roots...has anyone tried this? Was just thinking it might make for a more seamless/natural look....any opinions on this or am I being silly???

kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:46pm
i havent tried it but it sounds like it would be VERY successful in blending the light hair into your darker roots :)
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:00pm
Thats why I used to like that 2-tone outre hair so much. The quality isn't
amazing, but I could put in the one that was light blonde at the tips and
dark at the track and I could put it in right up to an inch from my parting
and they still didn't show through because the track matched my roots. It
worked really well for me. I just wish the quality was better. I think your idea
sounds perfect. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing with my
boyhme 613 so that I could put blonde closer to my parting and hairline
without the tracks showing up.
Let us know how it works for you!
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:36pm
this could work sheri- do a test spot underneath or something to see if u like the color match
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:03pm
I was taught to do this in a hair extension class, I think it was Invisible Hair.  You're right, if the 'roots' of the extension more closely match your roots, than it won't be so obvious when the roots grow out.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:56pm
OK time for some experimenting! I bought some hair color. In the following colors. Light golden brown, strawberry blonde and dark blonde. Just some cheap Revlon hair color that I had success with back in the day when I used to color some #613...but sheesh thats been along time ago! I have my Bohyme wefts that I took out from my last install that are in excellent condition and have them all cleaned and ready to go. So if I f 'em up I wont cry over it since its not new/unused hair! Any suggestions for applying the color, or how to achieve the 'root' look that I want?
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 10:11pm

come to think of it i once tried this. lay the weft on some foil, mix the color in a bowl, use a brush( color brush to apply color) and just brush the top of the weft with the color. brush it on from the top down to where u want the color to end. make small strokes so it doesnt look like a stripe, like feather out the color.

FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 10:20pm

Sherrie, if you like the 613 light blonde color but you dont wanna bleach why  not try a highlift? it's much easier on the hair compared to bleach, you could even use it to highlight with. Try wella bp (blonding plus) you can get it at sally's it's great!

fyi I know my spelling sux!
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 10:24pm
you can use it to highlight? Eventually I want to get back to light brown with 'some' highlights...right now Im just adjusting myself to something a little darker! A little at a time....cant do it cold turkey!
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 11:28pm
you can do highlites actually- low lights with any color, just apply with foil! process for about 30 mins- if u use a darker color, u could also get away with using a lower develp like a 10 volume as opposed to 20 or 30 you mainly want to deposit the color to the blonde hair right>??
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 6:12am
right now my project is just to use the color to dye the track of the wefts darker to imitate roots.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 7:41pm

OK....Im gonna cry... I cant get the track thread to take the dye! Ive got one more experiment going, but Im not getting my hopes up! The actual hair looks great and would give me the result I want, but these stupid tracks wont take the color! As soon as I rinse the dye, the track thread is BLONDE again! Im trying one more experiment. I carefully put the dye on the track only and Im leaving it on longer than the recommended timing...so Im waiting patiently for the results!

Any other ideas? I wonder about fabric dye?

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 8:38pm
Nope...last experiment..same thing. I left the dye on the track for 50 minutes...double the normal timing and still....blonde thread!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic