Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To fringe, or not to fringe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To fringe, or not to fringe
    Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:16am
That is the question. I've been trying to grow out my fringe, but I was just
tempted by this picture...

Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:24am
I had that style last year, and I really liked it. I'm very tempted to cut my
fringe again, which is just to the tip of my nose now. In the future, I'd like
my hair to be somewhat like this:
'

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:24am
when do you guys think I should start growing the fringe out? Should I
keep it for a while? My hair is only to my shoulder blades. A fringe can be
fun and annoying at the same time... I'm up for suggestions.

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:40pm

I love the first pic.the second one is great too.I'm partial to side swept myself.Plus they grow out a little better when you bore of them.I understand about it being annoying.I hate having bangs in my eyes.  Plus bangs are harder to make look nice than a longer grown out length IMO.They seem to highlight when your hair is dirty.Plus I know for myself,I can  wear second day hair out.But If I have bangs I have to at least restyle those,since they get kinda crazy after sleeping on them.Maybe someone else can offer some good reasons on why to get bangs,I remember now why i have sworn them off.

letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:13pm
I cut chin length bangs into my hair in December. I look ridiculous with my hair pulled back without something to frame my white face.

I usually tuck them behind my ear, but they're a huge pain in the rear right now because they wrap around my ear and you can see them from the front now (they used to stop behind my ear).

So I guess that means I should cut them again.

I know having long hair sometimes makes you want to have it ALL long, but I dunno...I look stupid without them.

To me the bangs on the first girl are way too thick... I would never cut that much if I was growing my hair very long. The contrast would be too much as well, I think.

Edited by letmecount123
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:13pm
I guess it would depend on your face shape and whether you don't mind some of your length getting shorter. I'm growing my fringe/bangs out right now because I have fine hair and I want my circumference to be thicker for a bigger plait/braid! (I have quite a ways to go - they are at the tip of my nose).

Edited by SpecialKitty
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:28am
I agree with letmecount about the thick bangs in the first photo.  My fringe was a bit thick too (not quite that thick), and as my hair got longer it started to look a little strange (I guess because the hair lays flatter on top of and around the head), so now I'm growing out the back  portion of the fringe to make it thinner.  Its all up to you though, I think it can look good that way on some people (just not me).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:22pm
I only wish I had a pic of me when I had that style... it did look really cute.
but i'm making such good progress! As you can see from the pic below,
I'm just getting to the point where I can part them to the side, aside from
a few straglers that hang out in the middle.

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:24pm
the fringe was sassy, having no fringe feels very plain. I think I'm going to
wait a few days and sleep on it before I go for the sissors.

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:33pm
To me the bangs on the first girl are way too thick... I would never cut
that much if I was growing my hair very long. The contrast would be too
much as well, I think. - Lemmecount123

I agree, LMC(on the last part) about her bangs being too thick, and how
the contrast would be to much with long hair...this is my canundrum. My
hair is not that long now where the contrast would bother me...but
thinking for the future I want to grow my hair to my waist, and I wouldn't
want bangs when my hair is that long. Although, like you, "I look
ridiculous with my hair pulled back without something to frame my white
face." so I'll always have some kind of fringe, all be it a longer one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:40pm
Sugaree, you are very pretty. I think the wispy longer bangs you have suit you nicely. I envy your hair color and thickness - it's also looking very long.
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:13pm
awww, thanks!!!
Your waves in your new sig are quite lovely, SpecialKit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:21pm
Thanks Sugaree! I'm hoping as my hair gets longer that the waves and fluffy-ness will calm down a bit
MissMareeJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMareeJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 3:27pm
SK, (hi, it's Sug, I had to change my name - long story)

I think you're right, the weight of long hair will give you less fluff...but the
waves are nice...hopefully they will stay! I bet they will, they'll just be at
the bottom of your length
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 4:47pm
I would say let it all grow long,  but that's just me
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:36pm

Well the whole fringe issue for me is a biggy! That is to say, I grow it out, then cut it, grow it out, cut it....can never make up my mind.  At the moment, I have settled on this style: (this pic of me taken last week - yes I know it's weird, it was for a catalog, but it shows my current fringe well)

As you can see, my fringe is quite thick and swept off to the side. The other side of my hair has some shorter bits, but not as short as the fringe section.  I'm happy with this right now as it gives me something to play with when I wear my hair up (although it doesn't really need styling...just sits there nicely most of the time) and I can also blend it in a bit when I wear my hair down (which is almost never).

For me, I feel I need a fringe, as my face is just not suited to the no-fringe look.  I think it softens the whole thing and helps to hide some wrinkles!!   However, I do sometimes get annoyed with it, and I do agree that it always gives it away that you haven't washed your hair in 4 days.  I am starting to wash it on it's own now though, which helps with the oily look.   I also am not fond of always having to trim it.  But I've weighed up the pros and cons and am settling on this fringe for now.

Sugaree, I think you have the face for no fringe...nice big eyes and a nice size forehead. However, I think you need to consider how it makes you feel. More confident with or without? Do you get bored without something to play with?  Why not cut a longer fringe so you can wear it back and also down?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:24pm
Wow Rini your hair has really grown long and the color is awesome keep it up,  just think what it will look like at waist length WOW.

Edited by The Last Starfighter
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 8:02am
Hi

I think your current look really suits you and I would suggest not cutting a fringe into your hair...yes it can be fun to have a fringe sometimes to play around with but you really look awesome as it is now.

Just my thoughts!

Best wishes,

John
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 3:56pm
I think that the first fringe is very nice, i think it looks thick because her other hair is also thick, do you know what i mean?
The second one could be grown out bangs but also look nice.
I just cut my fringe again two days ago. When i have time to fix them and they are clean I really like them. But they do get greasy faster than my other hair..
If you want full bangs get them, they always grow out... and when they do you can have them swept to the sides...
I think you would look good in both..
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Sugaree Sugaree wrote:

"I look ridiculous with my hair pulled back without something to frame my white face."

MissMareeJane, I beg to differ.  You look good without a fringe, I'm sure as good as with.

MissRini, Wow, that's a great picture!  And I am amazed by how much hair growth you've had lately!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic