Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
crisssy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crisssy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair tips
    Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:26am

Hello all, this is my first post!

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but I've read a couple of threads in here asking for help/advice growing out your hair.  So here's what worked for me... a product called Cortexx.  It is no longer available but it got me passed my shoulders (damn near impossible hurdle for me to overcome before I started using it) 

The active ingredient is--don't laugh--gelatin.  Yeah.  I know, it sounds dumb, but the same stuff that makes your nails hard and healthy... (and, yes, the stuff you eat) helps your hair grow.  Now, I'm not sure if Jello per say will do much for you--although there are women who will swear by it--I will tell you that applying it to your hair works wonders.  If you can find it as an active ingredient in a shampoo or conditioner, use it.  It's one of those little quirky tips that you just have to try for yourself for you to believe.

Today, my hair is down to the small of my back. I found that once I was able to get my hair to grow passed my upper shoulders the rest was cake.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/printthread.php?t=9027

Hope this helps!

I live like I type, fast with lots of mistakes.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:30am

Hi Chrissy and welcome

Gelatin huh? Hmmm....so do you eat it or put it on your hair? What is it supposed to do....speed growth or thicken hair..or both?

Sounds interesting

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:31am

Wow, Gelatin!?

I never knew,...

I know a balanced diet helps, along with vitamin and mineral supplements. I know putting beer on your hair before you rinse, adds body,..but I have yet to try that tip.

I personally don't get all caught up on hair length. I'm very patient, in many ways. I only want hair touching my shoulders. I've got about3 inches to go. In the mean time, I think my hair looks pretty, and healthy;)

Thanks,...

God Bless,...
Katie
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:30am

My mum used to swear by eating a cube of jelly(/o) a day to help with nail growth and strength.

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 11:52am
I'm interested in this also - but wondering why Cortexx is no longer available. Anyway, I will try to add some gelatin to my diet and maybe try putting it in my hair!! Thanks.
MissMareeJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMareeJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by katay katay wrote:

Wow, Gelatin!?

I never knew,...

I know a balanced diet helps, along with vitamin and mineral
supplements. I know putting beer on your hair before you rinse, adds
body,..but I have yet to try that tip.

I personally don't get all caught up on hair length. I'm very patient, in
many ways. I only want hair touching my shoulders. I've got about3
inches to go. In the mean time, I think my hair looks pretty, and
healthy;)

Thanks,...

And waste a perfectly good beer? I dunno about that hahah
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:05pm
I don't eat gelatine as I am vegetarian (who wants to eat boiled animal fat anyway, bleeurgh!) but I remember AnaisSatin mentioning something about gelatine once. Chilled cheesecake has gelatine in. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:09pm
Ooooh...cheesecake....mmmmmmmm

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:27pm

I'm not sure what gelatin really does for hair when applied through a shampoo or conditioner. My best guess is that it makes the hair more elastic (which could also make the hair seem longer).

Hmmmmmm

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
crisssy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crisssy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:03am

LOL  What can I say, it sounds ridiculous, but it really did work for me.  Someone asked how, or in what way, it helped?  I had a real problem with breakage, and it seemed my hair was growing super slow once it hit a certain length just above my shoulders.  At the time I didn't immediately think, "Wow, this stuff is the holy grail of hair products."  (It wasn't like that)  It was only later, in retrospect, I was able to look back and figure out what caused the change... and it basically came down to this:  One day I'm spending way too much time and money on products that didn't work... and then next, it just stopped becoming an issue.  My hair was growing, I was happy, life was good.  Even then I might not have paid attention to what caused my good fortune if it hadn't been discontinued.  It took about 3 months of NOT using it before I noticed my hair was shedding badly again, and even after a trim, my hair looked uneven and seemed to be getting shorter not longer.  It was one of those "Aha!" moments. 

As to why the company is not making it anymore?  Who knows.  It came in an ugly purple bottle and advertising was non existent.  If it hadn't been on sale, I doubt I would have tried it.  The makers of V05 are who made Cortexx.... that's all I really know about it. 

Here is a picture I took of the detangler spray which I still have.  It's really the shampoo I would've recommended, but the detangler isn't bad.   

http://home.comcast.net/~crisssy101/CORTEXX.jpg

Picture of Cortexx

Hope this helps!  BTW: I love reading everyone else's tips on this board, you guys give great advice.  ;o)

Edited by crisssy101
I live like I type, fast with lots of mistakes.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 2:21am
I didn't know that gelatin was an animal product. YUCK. I think I will stick with coconut oil and vitamins
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:17am

I know beer on your hair, that is a waste LOL!

I like the pic of the leave in in Cortexx(gelatin formula). Is that availble at walmart, or walgreens?

P.S I wish I could get a scanner by now, My husband and I are financially stable, but I'm not sure if he wants us to get a scanner. If I had a scanner I'd post pics of my hair by now, so sorry everyone! Thanks,...Love, Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 8:31pm
Katie....you might be better off getting a digital camera instead, much easier to get images on the web for all of us to see.

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:15am

Thanks Missrini!

Duh, I'm totally lost in this digital age(if you will). Here I thought a scanner was necessary,... By the way, Steve and I have considered buying a digital camera. So far the best ones are $300.00 or more. Soooo,...I'm not sure when we will get one.

Lets just put it this way, I'd like a digital camera for many reasons(as I'm sure Steve does too). But, we are Newlyweds, and trying to have fun, and live on a budget.

It's not easy,...

Rest assured by the time I'm super Happy with longer hair, then by then we'll have a digital Camera. I feel most people who post pics are so generous with sharing, and I love to share too. So I'll shoot(so to speak) for uploading pics in a few months.

Maybe I can borrow my sister in laws digital Camera for now,..I'll work on that, Thanks,...;)

Love, Katie

God Bless,...
Katie
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:38am
To hijack the thread for a minute:

Katay-a scanner is a piece of equipment that lets you put a piece of paper, photo etc. on to it which it will then copy and put on your computer. A digital camera is a camea that will plug in to your computer and download photos and film clips from. You can get cheap ones for as little as 15 quid.

end hijack.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
ataraxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataraxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:48pm
not so sure how i feel about gelatin.. i don't eat much meat, and would be vegetarian (again) if i wasn't lazy. being vegan for a year + being lazy = not very healthy. regardless, i ate alot of jello cubes from the buffet at dinner sunday night lol. anyone else use cortexx? i'll be on the lookout for this stuff. thanks Chrissy

[hijack]Katie, my boyfriend just bought his 2nd digital camera, and i think he paid about $150 for it. you can sacrifice some quality (like not being able to take pictures at a fast rate) and save even more. i don't know what your budget is, but there are great cameras out there for much less then $300. you'll actually save money (no film or developing), and have endless pics on your computer for as long as you own the camera.. one of the best electronics in our home, and highly recommended for newlyweds![/hijack]

Edited by ataraxy
MsSerenity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsSerenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:26am
For me, calcium helps me get a full inch a month (if I take it daily). Everyone's needs are different and therefore, exploring what works for you is always a wise idea.

(And you could always try Ebay for a camera. Good deals can be found.)
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:02am

Thanks to all Re; a digital camera!:)

I'll look into a cheaper digital camera.

God Bless,...
Katie
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:31pm
Gelatin supposed helps keratin, which our hair and nails are made out of. So
including some in your diet wouldn't hurt.

You can get non-animal-derived 'gelatin', too (not true gelatin, but close in
texture and taste). Don't know any brand names, nor whether they have the
same benefits to hair as true gelatin. I know the Japanese food konnyaku can
be used to make gelatin-like desserts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konnyaku

It's pretty good, but when I lived in Japan I found konnyaku-based Jell-o
strange because it doesn't dissolve in your mouth.

Edited by dancingbarefoot
Karen26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:28pm

Crissy, I remember Cortexx.  I found it at a WinnDixie about 10 years ago and thought "huh, think I'll try this".  My reasoning was that I lose hair in the shower in clumps, but I have massively thick hair so the loss isn't that big of an issue....but still.....so I tried it and man!! it rocked!! In about a month (maybe less, hell it's been 10 years I can't remember) I noticed that my hair wasn't coming out in the shower anymore. 

I remember when they quit carrying it, I nearly cried.  It was just awesome stuff! I've never seen it since......

Possibly check some overstock stores online.  It might just be one of those hard to find things, but not yet extinct. 

And if you do find it please let me know immediately!!! Thanks! and good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic