Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I shampooing too much???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
millepetroza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millepetroza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I shampooing too much???
    Posted: March 08 2006 at 4:23pm
I am a guy, and I have naturally curly hair. I was told (for quicker hair
growth) to only shampoo evey other day. Is this true?

I have also heard many people give up on shampoo and just use conditioner
or something, does this speed up hair growth?

and last but not least...After a shower I usually put a snow-cap on over my
somewhat wet hair, does this help anything with keeping heat on my head?,
or does it hurt my hair by not letting it breathe?

thanks, any help would be perfect...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millepetroza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 7:35pm
ok........are there any links from this forum regarding any of these
questions??? (i've been looking for ever, can't find anyhting) help!!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 10:59pm

Hi and welcome

There is a thread directory at the top of this forum which is worth exploring.

Hope that helps you!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 7:44am
None of what you are doing will speed up or slow down hair growth.  If you are not getting good nutrition, a multivitamin a day may help, also if you drink too much coffee, laying off a little may help some.  Getting more exercise may also help.  Some people also have luck with hair vitamins, others do not.

The snow cap (if that means a winter knit cap?) won't hurt or help, the heat from your head is not hot enough to damage your hair, and your skin can still breathe through a knit cap (its not totally airtight).  Some people do forgo the shampoo for a conditioner only wash, it won't effect hair growth (but may keep the hair more moisturized).  Shampooing every day can be drying, so every other day is considered better for the drying effect, but again, no effect on growth.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 10:35am
You cannot slow down hair growth by what you do externally. What people often mean when they say you slow down hair growth, is that the damaged hair is breaking off, meaning that your overall length gain will not be as great. Shampooing too frequently could dry out your hair and as you said you were curly, your hair probably needs all the moisture it can get. I personally wash once a week whilst others wash 2 or 3 times. It's up to you.

COing might be a good experiment for you but it is not vital.

Hair does not breathe. It is dead. I suppose if you tried really hard it might go mouldy though...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millepetroza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 12:38pm
excellent, thanks you gals.  Im tryng the everyother day shampoo/conditioner and water washing in between those days.  thanks again
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 11:34am

If you have curly hair, your hair will be somewhat drier than straight hair. If you MUST shampoo so often, use a shampoo for dry hair or do more CO washes. Since you wash your hair so often, I would suggest you only use shampoo once a week, and the rest of the time use CO.

These don't speed up growth, but it will cut down your breakage rate, which is very important. A lot of people want to know how to "grow" their hair, but they haven't yet learned how to keep it from breaking off at the ends, which, IMO, is more important.

A cap won't necessarily keep hair from growing, but be careful of what kind of material the cap is. Some materials pull the moisture from the hair, and some materials cause too much friction against the hair, both of which will cause the hair to break. I don't typically wear caps at all, since I wear ear muffs and don't go out much anyways, so I can't suggest what material is best for a cap.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 12:46pm
Hey Millepetroza, what length and type of hair do you have? What are you shooting for in terms of length? I think your washing routine sounds fine, as long as you don't blow dry too often.....Glad you're on the Board - it's good to hear from a few guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic