Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ban ear piercing guns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ban ear piercing guns?
    Posted: March 13 2006 at 4:05pm
Do you think ear piercing guns should be banned?
Have you been pierced with a gun?
Have you been pierced with a needle?

I have had my ear lobes pierced with a gun 3 times...the first time I was nine and my ears were severely infected - I had to let them close up.  The other times I was 11 & 12, and my ears were OK but took way longer than usual to heal.  The following information was put together by me with medical research and research on people's personal experiences:

My argument against piercing guns is this:
- They can not be properly sterilised because they are plastic, which means skin and blood particles are passed on from one piercee to the next = risk of contracting hepititis B & C.  However, Needles are thrown away after every client, and professional piercers are completely sterile, clean environments.
- The guns are more painful.  The gun uses the blunt earring to force through the lobe - this is traumatic to the ear and crushes/damages the skin tissues.  What's more, the butterfly fastening is pushed next to the ear so there is no room for the wound to heal and swell.  However, Needles are razor sharp and make room for the earring by taking some skin away -  this is far less traumatic and allows healing and swelling room for the new wound the heal properly. 
- People who use guns have had a few weeks training by watching other people do it.  However, Professional piercers have studied the art of piercing for years and are quick and knowledgeable, they know where to avoid nerves and know about infections.
- Professional piercers offer barbells and rings, these don't allow bacteria to collect like butterfly clips do.
- Sure, professional piercers charge more, and needles can be daunting, but why risk contracting blood diseases or getting a horrible puss-like infection like I did, when you can have it over and done in minutes by an experienced profssional?

-There are more arguments..why not add your own experiences?

I personally think ear guns should be banned.  Piercing is lovely, but also a serious business.  There is no room for cutting corners with people's health - and that is what your typical "mall piercers" with guns do all the time.  Sure, you may never get an infection like I did, but why risk it?

Tomorrow I'm getting 3 more piercings at a professionals.  By the end I'll have in total 3 on each ear lobe and one on the right cartilage....I'm looking forward to it!!!

Let me know your views

Louie

Edited by aubergine
moffpoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moffpoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 11:21am

I used the gun a few times aswell....and to tell the truth , the one piercing i did myself in my ear with a sewing needle healed up nicer then the one that i did with the gun!

I think it`s alrigth for the lobes, but LOBES only,....i`ve seen people use it on the cartilage! thats just sick , it will take 4ever to grow.

Piercing is bodyart, and a piercer should have more "feel" then just pull a trigger...! Needles and Kanula is best

12 Inch Wawa, Installed with Protac, i love hair extensions<3

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 4:25am

You can get an infection just as easily with a needle piercing, though.  One of my housies recently got an ear piercing with a needle at a professional body piercing shop. . . the next morning, the area was swollen and purple, and the whole left side of her head hurt!  She was too stubborn to take the ring out, however, so she went to her doctor and was prescribed antibiotics to knock out the infection.

More awesome than a manatee!
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:32am

OUCH! That sounds sooo bad Kuroneko!

I had my ear lobes gun pierced back when I was 10 yr.s old. I'm 35 yr.s now. I only use "Real" jewelry. Otherwise, my ear lobes swell and hurt.

I love the look of more ear piercings,...But am afraid of the needles, let alone another piercing gun!

So, I guess, I'll stick with what I've got.

I'm still torn about getting a nose piercing(a diamond stud,ultimatley!;)

I also, love Pink, so(sorry for getting off topic) but I would like, new pink streaks in my hair.

P.S. I never want a tattoo though.

Thanks,...;)

God Bless,...
Katie
SDOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:24am
You really shouldnt have anything pierced with the gun! gun bad! But I had quite a few done with the gun.. the shame
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 11:04pm

I think a lot of people are intimidated by the hollow piercing needles, though, so fewer people would probably get pierced if guns were banned.

More awesome than a manatee!
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 7:46pm
I agree with the person who said that ear piercing guns are fine for ear lobes, but not good for other piercings.
I had my ears pierced with a ear piercing gun, and have never had any problems with my earrings.
My ex-wife, and my two daughters also had their ears pierced with an ear piercing gun without problems.
A woman I dated got her nostrils pierced and wears nosestuds or a noserings. She also got her nipples pierced. For those piercings, she had it done with a needle.
Brent
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 1:58am
I should add though, that one reason I have never had a problem with my pierced ear lobes is that I always wear fine jewelry, usually 14 ct. gold earrings.
Brent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic