Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ann Curry - The Haircut (revisited)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ann Curry - The Haircut (revisited)
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:42pm

Since Dave has moved the original Ann Curry - The Haircut to the hair politics board, I revive it here to strictly discuss the way she looks. When I see her on TV in the morning, on her evening news show and even in still shots on gogomags, I think of her as "Ann Curry, the news reporter who cut off her hair." I am reminded of how I felt when Alanis cut off her waistlength hair and how she has struggled finding a look anywhere as nice. At the time, Alanis was an icon for longhair lovers and I thought I might never come on this board again. In the case of Ann, I ask you, help me "let it go." Anybody, please, tell me how this is a good haircut -- an improvement -- for Ann Curry. (And please, no comments about LoL or anything else political. I thank you.)

http://www.gogomag.com/cgi-bin/tvheads_viewer.pl?tvheads5969 7&59697&Ann

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:11pm
I myself didn't think it was one. Maybe the first cut Kate did wasn't that bad but then it was fixed yuck. I didn't like it at all.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:41pm
I agree the hair she has now doesn't look near as good as it used to.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 2:24am

Hi,

I personally always thought Ann Curry was a great repoter. I usually didn't think of her hair, until you started posting.

God Bless,...
Katie
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 5:25am
It's everything but an improvement...
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:18am
[QUOTE=Kramer]

Since Dave has moved the original Ann Curry -
The Haircut to the hair politics board, I revive it here to strictly
discuss the way she looks. When I see her on TV in the morning, on
her evening news show and even in still shots on gogomags, I think
of her as "Ann Curry, the news reporter who cut off her hair." I am
reminded of how I felt when Alanis cut off her waistlength hair and
how she has struggled finding a look anywhere as nice. At the time,
Alanis was an icon for longhair lovers and I thought I might never
come on this board again. In the case of Ann, I ask you, help me "let
it go." Anybody, please, tell me how this is a good haircut -- an
improvement -- for Ann Curry. (And please, no comments about LoL
or anything else political. I thank you.)

Ah, a CHT thread about hair! Looking forward to it.

Kramer, I have to challenge your assumption here. We don't know
that Alanis has "struggled finding a look anywhere as nice." All we
know is, she cut it short, and she's experimented with a lot of styles
and color combos since. I personally like all of them more than her
former long hair, which I thought was dull and lifeless and made her
face look long and plain. I think these new styles are considerably
sexier, lighter, and more fun, and has turned her into something of a
hottie.

So I would interpret her style moves as breaking free of her long
hair rut, and having fun exploring new looks. But neither of us knows
how she feels, do we? Still, can't we allow the possibility that since all
style changes are her choice, she might actually like them?

Anyway, in Ann's case, I agree with you partially. I don't think this
new style is fashionable, flattering, or overall better than the long
hair, and I've posted that before. I'm always disappointed when
women cut length but don't change the style to match, so the new is
just a shorter version of the old.

Still, I DO like that she cut it, as I thought (like Alanis) that her hair
was overwhelming her face. I just think it's a matter of finding the
right cut and style for this length she has now. Why she couldn't do
that on the first round after all this attention is beyond me, but then
I've given up trying to find logic in TV anchor hairdos. :-)

Thanks for the return to a hair focus...
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by Curlyfan Curlyfan wrote:

Kramer, I have to challenge your assumption here. We don't know
that Alanis has "struggled finding a look anywhere as nice." All we
know is, she cut it short, and she's experimented with a lot of styles
and color combos since.

Whoops. I probably should have said "struggled finging a look anywhere as nice -- at least in MY eyes." LOL. I guess I have struggled since her original haircut, obviously more ways than one.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 10:31am
     I think Ann looks OK now, but OK is a long ride down from fabulous and captivating. As for "easier", as someone mentioned in the other thread, she has her hair done *for* her every day. And don't tell me that her awesome long hair was difficult, please! DW's hair is about 8" longer than Ann's was, and it was *not* hard to manage.
     The truth is that she liked her long hair, but she made a deal she felt compelled to honor. One cannot be "mortified" about a haircut, as Ann admitted, if one truly hates one's long hair.
      Now, I don't know if Alanis is "struggling" to find another pleasing image for herself, but I find it*ironic* that when she releases new music, extensions are added. Even with So Called Chaos, the close-up obviously disguises the fact that her hair had been severely shorn. NOT a coincidence, methinks. She *knows* that a sizeable portion of her fans hate the fact that she has cut her hair. IMO, her decision to discard her Rapunzelesque locks was a career blunder. She, like Ann Curry, lost much sensuality and looks soccer-momish with shorter haircuts. Best, Bob

Edited by Bob S
LisainCalif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisainCalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 11:10am

I think it looks lovely on her.  Her long hair was very pretty too, but I can see how this would be a little easier to control.

The cut is a classic bob--higher in the back than in the front (affording it front swing) and a little undercut so that it turns under naturally.  This cut has been a classic for years, and is always chic.  Jackie O, Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn--they all had a similar look--and it is just as fresh today.  The bob will never go out of style, and has that "Chanel" fashion forward look.  It frames her face beautifully and will look good polished and dressed up for a fancy affair, or dressed down in jeans.

She is such a pretty woman--her features are really delicate, and she looks good no matter how she styles her hair.  The long hair was beautiful and thick, and this is just a different look with that same thick, lusterous hair.  She is also much more than just her "hair"--she is a loving mom and wife and great newscaster.  She was "moritfied" by the haircut because she felt embarrassed that so many people were paying attention to her "outside" rather than more serious journalist matters. 

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 11:16am

I thought Alanis looked a bit horsey with long hair.

This is OK on Ann Curry--but I don't like her past super short cuts.

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:33pm
I really see no difference.  I too am disappointed that when she got her hair cut that she didn't try a DIFFERENT style but in the overall scheme of things, she looks about the same.  The long hair didn't make her look better or worse - it was just a different length.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:08pm
Bob S who is DW? Thanks.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 3:19am

DW is Arthur the aardvark's annoying little sister, of course!  No, wait, that might be the wrong one. . .

I'm not very fond of Ann's current style, but I'm guessing her mom would be-- I've heard Ann tell stories about how her mom was always sending her tips to look more like Connie Chung.  If the current puffy bob doesn't pay homage to Connie, I dunno what does.

More awesome than a manatee!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 1:38pm

DW is my Dear Wife, Mike, who, yes, has incredible hip length hair. It was TB a month ago! God bless her heart!  Bob

No Kuronenko, she is not a member of the aardvark family, and neither am I!  Just teasing! I always like your posts, even though I often disagree, BTW.

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:27pm
Thanks Bob here I'm going nuts looking on line for reporter with DW. Thanks for enlighting me. Luck you. I hope she keeps it long for awhile. Mike.
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:55pm
Surprised no one mentioned this - Ann's hair on Friday was "done up" a
bit, side part and lots of soft curls/waves that (I think) gave it some
much needed playfulness and style, a big improvement.

This pic isn't from Friday but it's pretty close:

tvheads61635&61635&Ann">http://www.gogomag.com/cgi-bin/
tvheads_viewer.pl?tvheads61635&61635&Ann

I hope sometime soon she adds lots of layers, which would enable her
to try more style like this more easily.
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:57pm
Sorry, link apparently doesn't work, here it is, you can find more on
gogomag.com if you search for Ann (it's the top link):

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:14pm
I like that better then just there.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:15pm
One more thing just for the heck of it did Today's rateing drop? Just like when Keri Russell cut her hair.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

One more thing just for the heck of it did Today's
rateing drop? Just like when Keri Russell cut her hair.

The biggest myth in hair related TV news.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic