Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to achieve shaggy/seperated layers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leipei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leipei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to achieve shaggy/seperated layers
    Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:05am
Hello all.

Well, I've recently JUST cut my hair and it now looks like this

The cut is the same, but I have no idea how to style it like that. So, what do you guys suggest? Wax? Pomade? ... Specific name products would be REALLY helpful. Thanks in advance :)
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 3:18am

Firstly, I think your new style looks fantastic! 

Products that say they give "texture" and "definition" will help you here.  Do you know which ones your stylist used?  If not, some examples include: John Frieda's "Chunky Munky" (part of the Sheer Blonde range, but suitable for all hair types, as it doesn't contain any colour deposit) or Bumble + Bumble's surf spray.  There is also an Umberto Giannini product that uses sea salt to give that great chunky, layered effect and a TIGI one (sorry, I can't remember the exact names!)  Just shop around and look at what's on the shelves in your price range.

To get even sharper definition and hold in the very ends of the layers, I would recommend clay rather than wax, or a combination of wax and clay (just mix a little of each in the palm of your hand, then rub over your hair: don't overwork these kind of products as it will just look greasy).  The Sebastian range has a very good clay and also a good wax; they come in little metal pots.  Charles Worthington's is a cheaper alternative.

Good luck...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
leipei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leipei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 8:13pm
Thanks, trophywife!

Your help is going to be greatly appreciated tomorrow when I actually go shopping for them :) Would you suggest blow drying the hair as well?

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 3:09am
That depends on how your hair dries naturally.  If your hair's naturally straight like mine and doesn't go "poofy" without blowdrying, then you should be okay to leave it to airdry (or just use the hairdryer right at the very end, just before your hair's completely dry, just for a couple of minutes).  Experiment...and enjoy!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic