Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only natural products on hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only natural products on hair
    Posted: October 04 2002 at 3:00am
I am a guy, a former rock musician, who has worn my hair long for years, it is about half way down my back, and I have very healthy hair, because I have never colored my hair or damaged it with chemicals, I only use natural products. I have two teenage daughters, and I tell them the same thing ,(they both have medium length hair), to never color or bleach your hair and to use natural products, and never overuse any product. Also a healthy lifestyle , a healthy balanced diet and exercise creates healthier hair as well, not to mention the other benefits! I`m convinced that perming, bleaching, coloring hair, using harsh products, etc. is unatural and therefore unacceptable. Do others with long hair agree with this?I am interested in others opinions and experiences!
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2002 at 7:51am
yer i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after havin overprocessed my georgious hair ive vowed never to do anything to my hair again, im in the process of growin it all out...

i reckon everyone should beautify or improve the condition of their natural hair instead of changing it into something its not...it only brings hassle onto urself
---------------x
:Liz_Naz* (",)
hey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2002 at 8:55am
What natural products do you use?
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2002 at 5:50am
i dont use any....... but yer....to the person who started this topic...what do u use?
---------------x
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2002 at 10:59am
Dear Liz Naz, There are many good natural, organic types of shampoos or conditioners. I often use EO products or Giovanni products, Avalon products are also good, but it doesn`t matter what kind you use, just as long as they are natural products that are not harsh with alot of unnecessary stuff added. Your local health food co-op often sells natural hair care products, or will know where you can get such products. Other stores sometimes carry these products as well.
Tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2002 at 4:24pm
I agree Johan with everything you have said, I am 35 years old, and I have already hurt my hair some with perms, bleaching and coloring! I got my hair cut fairly short, and have returned to my natural brunette color, and I won`t perm it again. Whether I cut my hair short or grow it long I am going natural!- Also I love long hair on guys, and it is so great that you can talk to your two teenage daughters about stuff they are interested in like their hair! Are you married at present , and if so, what does your wife think of your long hair ?
that is a hair DON'T
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Johan Johan wrote:

Dear Liz Naz, There are many good natural, organic types of shampoos or conditioners. I often use EO products or Giovanni products, Avalon products are also good, but it doesn't matter what kind you use, just as long as they are natural products that are not harsh with alot of unnecessary stuff added. Your local health food co-op often sells natural hair care products, or will know where you can get such products. Other stores sometimes carry these products as well.

huh? where r these products from? r u in America?

coz im form the UK, and ive never heard of those products...

oh does the Body Shop`s stuff shampoo etc have natural ingredients in em?
---------------x
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 2:09pm
Liz Naz, To answer your question , yes I live in the USA, and these products are easily found here. However, Avalon and Giovanni products are international, you should be able to find them in the U.K. . But it doesn`t matter what brand you use as long as it uses natural healthy ingredients, just call around to beauty shops,, stores, health food stores, whatever, Britian is a modern country, you have many good products there, just ask around. Best wishes !
Brittiany L. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittiany  L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 6:33pm
I really ruined my long brown hair with perms and hair coloring, it was somewhat thick and unmanageable to begin with and it became a worse mess, and not nice to the touch! So two weeks ago I had my head shaved, and I`m starting over, this time I will go all natural!
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 8:07pm
Chemical processing can be very damaging to the hair if it is performed incorrectly and especially if you do more than one process. However, I know many women who color their hair or perm their hair and they have not problems and their hair looks very healthy. We are all different and what works for one person may not work for some one else. I use natural and unnatural hair products and some are great and some just horrible for my hair. I once tried an Abba conditioner that is supposedly all natural, a vegan product. My whole head started tingling and then burning and it left my hair very dry and tangled - my hair is never dry after I condition it. I thought maybe I got a bad bottle but when I searched for information on Abba I found Karen Sheltons review on this site and she hated it also and had the same results. Hopefully by sharing our product knowledge and experience we can help each other out.
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2002 at 12:38pm
To Brittany and Lissa, Thanks for your replies! Brittany darling, since you shaved your head and are growing your hair back you can still look attractive with very short hair! My beautiful wife Monique wears her hair ultra-short and is stunningly beautiful! With the right makeup, earrings and jewelry, and clothes you can make yourself look very sexy and chic! Look at all the gorgeous fashion models, actresses, and female rock stars who are bald or have short hair!----------And Lissa, you are right, not all products that advertise themselves as "natural" are good or even natural, they are plenty of hucksters out there selling garabage! I will avoid ABBA products if you say they are bad. Major, proven,, established natural products like Avalon or Giovanni are good products. I also met Paul Mitchell in person one day, he was real nice guy, and while I haven`t tried his products, I have heard good things about them!------------ A hug and a kiss to both of you ladies! Keep us informed, Thanks!
Italian Darlene View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italian Darlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2002 at 10:08pm
Dear Johan,

I wore my hair nice and long for years Johan, as long as yours, and like yourself, never permed it or colored it, just long straight hair, in my case brunette. I used only quality products, Giovanni has wonderful products, I agree with you. I eventually cut my hair to my shoulders after I married, and then went to a cute short style when I had my kids, but even though I have very short hair now, I still use Giovanni products, my hair may be short but it is healthy! My teenage daughters ( who both have longer, past the shoulders hair), also use Giovanni products! I believe good products do make a difference! Now if I could get my 18 year old daughter to quit dying her hair blonde, and go to her natural darker hair color!

I bet you have beautiful hair Johan ,if you have taken care of it so well, I`m sure your lady must enjoy it !
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2002 at 11:18pm
i have always been quite the environmental person- making sure i was trying to be not only good to nature but natural myself- so i was suprised that i had never thought of natural shampoos and conditioners before. I have never done bad things to my hair before and i don`t plan on starting any time soon. I simply wash and condition my hair and let it air dry; it has no hair dye, no chemical processes. Anyways, i am now on the search for Avalon Lavendar Shampoo and Conditioner- which i have not found as of yet but will continue looking:) I am excited to try them, but i was wondering:I have heard that shampoos with out sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates don`t really lather as nicely as ones that do- does that mean they don`t clean as well- or is lather not that important in the cleaning? thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2002 at 11:20pm
oops, the face in the upper left hand corner was suppose to be smileing!(but the blue face has his smile upside down) hehe
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 1:48am
Dear Turquoise girl,
Natural hair products clean your hair just fine, the amount of lather isn`t the most important thing. I`ll be honest with you though, I don`t shampoo with natural shampoo or conditioners every time, we have some of the usual stuff at my house too, just like I don`t eat healthy food every time, I sometimes eat junk food. As a rule however, it is good most of the time to go natural with shampoo, and to eat natural food or at least healthy food, fresh fruits and vegetables, skim milk, yougurt, lean meats and fish if you aren`t vegetarian, etc. That also is good not only for your internal organs but also for your skin and hair. If you are going to have long hair, like I do, and maybe you do, it might as well be attractive and healthy, since it is a chore to take care of very long hair. But whether a person has no hair, long hair or anything in between, the most important thing is health and reltivel clean and active living! Much love Torquise girl!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 8:15pm
Johan, do you use the NON-natural shampoos because you need to or because you just happen to? do you find that you start to get build up if you use the natural shampoos all the time? Thanks:)
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 10:00pm
Dear Turqouise girl,
My daughters use Clairol or whatever brands that aren`t necessarily natural, so we have both around the house, I try to get everyone in the house to only use natural products and eat healthy all the time, but unatural products and junk food get into the house anyway, and I am the only guy in a house of female people, so you can guess how much they listen to me! If we run out of natural shampoo, I just use the other stuff until we buy some natural stuff again. I don`t really plan it!

Maybe what you should do turqoiuse darling, is to use the natural shampoo one day, and the other shampoo the next, if you are worried about it; you know experiment a little, it shouldn`t hurt you or your hair any!
Much love !
natural Ann View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 11:55am
Turqouiose ,

I used all natural products when I wore my hair long, (waist length), and never had any problems, my hair is cut in a short crop now, but I still use natural shampoo, for the environment and my hair! How long is your hair now?If it is real long you can still use natural products!

P.S-Natural food too, as Johan mentioned, whenever possible, look for organically grown stuff.

Best wishes!
natural lady Ann

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 7:05pm
my hair used to be at mid-back but i have had lots of health problems lately so now it is at my collarbone(and pretty damaged) but i`m definitely growing it back long if i can. i not only got interested in the natural products because of people mentioning it on here but i researched it and have heard people say that ones without sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate are gentler on your hair(and my weak hair could certainly use a gentle touch). It`s funny how just this one topic on hair boutique has changed so much in me- i`m getting really into natural foods and all that stuff lately (excited) :) thanks everyone...
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 2:33am
whats the different effect the natural and chemical products have on ur hair?

is there really any difference? does it leave your hair silky smooth... or is it just that its more healthy or?

Johan, do u also use some foods on ur hair as a deep conditioning treatment.... eg. olive oil, or Avocado?
---------------x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic