Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does eating jello really help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
dude20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:25pm
Gelatin is found in supplements like Vitamin A and E.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:57pm
Thank you, eatgreenjello and Rini.  I felt very tired, very drained (well, I was), the remainder of the week (much more than usual).  I'm starting to feel a bit better today.  
maiseycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiseycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 3:18pm
Someone on another hair site I visit posted an interesting way to add gelatin to your diet - mix a tbsp of gelatin with a cup of boiling water to create a hot drink. It reminds me of hot Kool-aid. She started drinking this daily in order to increase hair growth. She didn't make any claims about its effectiveness, and hasn't reported her findings, not that I've seen, anyway. I thought I'd try it, though - it can't hurt. I've been consuming the "jello drink" for a few months, though I can't remember to drink it every day (my school/work schedule isn't very consistent). I have noticed a difference in nail growth and strength, not hair, though. I also added evening primrose oil to my diet around that time, so that may be helping my nails, also.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:19pm

I didn't read every single post so forgive me if this has already been covered. I found this info:

Gelatin is an incomplete nutritional protein because it lacks tryptophan, an essential amino acid. Jell-O itself has little nutritional value apart from energy--80 calories for a typical serving. For example, the list of ingredients on a box of strawberry Jell-O is sugar, gelatin, adipic acid (for tartness), less than 2% of artificial flavor, disodium phosphate and sodium citrate (to control acidity), fumaric acid (for tartness), and the colorant red 40.

I've always heard that it is a myth that Jello/gelatin helps hair and nails to grow. I assume it would be the protein in it that leads people to believe it is good for growth; however there is not a significant amount of protein in it. You're better off eating tuna or turkey, etc.

hairmetal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairmetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:08pm
Well I've been eating 2 servings of jello every day for a week straight,  and I'll keep doing it the entire summer.  If my hair grows more than the expected 1 1/2 inches for three months then we might have something here..
-JP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic