Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dry scalp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cassie_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry scalp
    Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:48pm
Hi. I was wondering what the best course of action would be to getting rid of my dry scalp. In the past I had used P & S Liquid but I read the ingredients and found that it has salt and alcohol in it. Both of which I thought were drying. I would greatly accept any advice.
1b/1c,M,iii Now:23" Goal:33"
Member of Benign Neglect Club
Memorial for my Uncle: www.acsevents.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=feIO LOOnGlF&b=1365123&sid=elKYKhPUImI3IcMPJpF
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 9:36pm
Depends what kind of alcohol. Fatty alcohols aren't drying, but if your scalp
is dry, it could be the salt. Could be some other ingredient, for that matter.

Have you tried massaging oil into your scalp?
cassie_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:33am
What kind of oil? Could I use mineral oil?
Memorial for my Uncle: www.acsevents.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=feIO LOOnGlF&b=1365123&sid=elKYKhPUImI3IcMPJpF
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:42am
I think mineral oil is petroleum based and would be very bad for your hair. I use coconut oil with good results (a little goes a long way). Others use shea butter, lavender oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, apricot oil - there are lots of choices. But i think you should stay away from mineral oil. Oh, and you might try adding a bit of oil to your diet or supplement program. I've been taking evening primrose oil and fish oil and my scalp, hair and skin have all benefited.

Edited by SpecialKitty
cassie_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:25am
Alrighty. Thanks so much.
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:16am

I get a dry scalp from time to time; I think it's stress-related although the doctor has said that it's linked to not eating enough fat so I keep an eye on my diet too.

To eliminate the dryness, I massage my scalp before washing to stimulate blood flow, then use a moisturising shampoo such as the Aussie one for dry hair, followed by conditioner, of which I rub a very small amount onto my scalp (to moisturise it).  Then I rinse out.  I try to use only lukewarm water when washing and then intersperse this with cooler rinses (as cold as I can stand for as long as I can stand!)  This really helps to stimulate bloodflow to the scalp and also has the added bonus of making my hair really shiny!

Diet-wise, I try to ensure that I'm eating "good" fats like olive oil, oily fish and a few unsalted nuts and seeds (flaxseeds are particularly good), avoiding alcohol (I don't smoke or have caffeine) and drinking even more water than usual (still - sparkling can have a high salt content).

I hope these tips might work for you - good luck.

p.s. I also try really hard not to get any rainwater on my scalp as I find that is the real killer! 

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
cassie_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

I get a dry scalp from time to time; I think it's stress-related although the doctor has said that it's linked to not eating enough fat so I keep an eye on my diet too.

I have had it on and off ever since I was little and my grandma has it. Plus it usually doesn't happen when I'm stressed. I think my scalp is just trying to irrate me.

Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

Diet-wise, I try to ensure that I'm eating "good" fats like olive oil, oily fish and a few unsalted nuts and seeds (flaxseeds are particularly good)...
Maybe I'll have to start making my flaxseed wheat bread again. And eating it more regularly.

I went to the local health food store today and since I couldn't find any jojoba oil, I picked up a new conditoner that says it has soothing herbs and helps the dryness. I'll just be kind to my scalp right now as it is very sore after having the P & S Liquid on it. It didn't like it at all this time. Which I find strange because it always worked in the past.
If the conditioner works in a few weeks, I may update.

Edited by cassie_g
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:04am
Originally posted by cassie_g cassie_g wrote:

I have had it on and off ever since I was little and my
grandma has it. Plus it usually doesn't happen when I'm stressed. I think my
scalp is just trying to irrate me.

Are you sure it's just a dry scalp? Flaking is a symptom of several skin
problems, not just dryness. The fact that your grandmother has it, too,
means that it might be a genetic condition.

I have psoriasis on my scalp, for example, and all the moisture in the world
won't do a lick of good because while it LOOKS like it's just dry skin, it's not.
You can't fix the problem until you know what it is, IMHO, so you should
check with a dermatologist.

Edited by dancingbarefoot
cassie_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:48am
Thanks for the advice.
ataraxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataraxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 10:54am
there was one winter when my scalp got so dry and flaky that i actually had sores on my scalp, and flakes through my hair. it drove me NUTS because i had never had that problem, and was extremely itchy...i was also under alot of stress at the time now that i think about it.

i used Biotin shampoo at the advice of my boss at the time, who was a hairdresser on the side. i went with Sally's Beauty Supply generic Biotin shampoo. she told me once i lathered it into my hair & scalp to leave it and not rinse until i couldn't take it anymore, usually about 5 minutes. i noticed positive results immediately and used it until the problem went away. haven't had any issues since. good luck Cassie, let us know what works for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic