Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Use Shampoo on Curly Hair??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NeedsHairHelp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeedsHairHelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Use Shampoo on Curly Hair??
    Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:40am

As my previous post stated, I have always blown my hair straight. After a recent visit to my stylist, I've decided to try letting my hair dry to its very curly state. I've been reading that some naturally curly women don't shampoo their hair often, or in some cases, not at all.

Do any of you not shampoo or shampoo minimally?? Just lookin for some input. THANKS!!

Jen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 6:08pm

I don't shampoo at all.

It really takes some adjusting.. I think the most important thing is to gradually transition from shampoo to shampoo-free, should you decide to go shampoo-free. It's not the absolute requirement for healthy hair, either. Most people do fine with a shampoo that is simply gentler than usual.

This was my transition, in a nutshell:

• Shampoo, Conditioner
  • Diluted shampoo, Conditioner
  • Lightly condition with Suave, Diluted shampoo, Conditioner
  • Lightly condition with Suave, Diluted shampoo and conditioner mixture, Conditioner
  • Diluted shampoo and conditioner, Light conditioner, Normal conditioner
  • Diluted conditioner, Light conditioner, Normal conditioner

Here is the thread directory and an explanation of washing methods

Hope this helps
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeedsHairHelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any tips for using a diffuser? I let my stylist dry my very curly hair w/ a diffuser this weekend and it looked great. I'm 24 and had never left the house w/ my hair curly so it was a great improvement. I tried using the diffuser myself tonight & ended up with frizz. The hair that wasn't frizzy had that wet look and was very stiff. I used Tigi's Curls Rock, which is what she used. She just wasn't very thorough in showing me what to do....
Jen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:00am
I don't think curly hair needs a diffuser... Have you had luck with airdrying?
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeedsHairHelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:54pm

Nope. Despite all mine and my stylist's (along with others in the past)best efforts, air drying just results in frizzy, crazy hair. We've tried every imaginable gel, cream, spray, you name it.

When they use a diffuser, I get great curls. They aren't frizzy and turn out very uniform. When I try to use the diffuser, it ends up frizzy and the curls are extremly inconsistent, as with air drying.

Jen
Brad_Zemlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_Zemlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 8:29pm
What's the purpose of not shampooing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeedsHairHelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:50am
From what I have been told shampooing too often strips the hair of natural oils and could dry it out. The people who I have talked with say they usually wet their hair, add some conditioner and rinse. I don't really think it would be for me.
Jen
Brad_Zemlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_Zemlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:04pm
Thanks! This is great I love learning about how to improve my hair, I was
totally clueless before I found this place.
jmfnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmfnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:47pm
You might be moving your hair to much when you are drying it with the diffuser (and curly hair needs a diffuser).  Flip your head upside down and gently scrunch it as you blow it dry with the diffuser (have your hair product on first, I have been using Bumble and Bumble for fine curly hair, or Devashon gel).  Don't dry it all the way, and use the low setting so you don't get to much movement in your hair. Also, DO NOT brush it.  Another thing you can do (this is what I have been doing lately, haven't used the dryer in weeks) is use metal hair clips and put them in your hair at the roots, to 'lift them up' while you air dry your hair.  I used to do this in my 20's while sitting under a dryer, but now with 3 kids, forget about it.  It takes at least an hour to dry, but it seems to help tame the frizzies and give more body at the crown of your head.  I happen to have curly, extremely fine hair, and it is straight near my scalp (curl evolves as it gets long) so I need the lift at the roots.  I get a spiral perm every few years to try and even out the curliness of my hair, but the latest one really dried out my hair.  First bad perm I have ever had.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeedsHairHelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:01am

Thanks for your tips!! The thing that keeps getting me is this. My stylist put two squirts (or whatever) of the Tigi Curls Rock in my hair and dried it, it looked great. When I tried using the same amount (and even less the next time) all the curls were hard as a rock, stiff and had that 'wet look.'

Maybe it's too wet when I try to dry? WHen you get out of the shower, do you just blot your hair?

THANKS!!

Jen
thathrlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathrlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 11:25pm

I also read several articles on not shampooing, but the whole idea of the transition to this type of maintenance and the smell "Ugh!".. .it is totally not appealing.

Anyway, curly hair tends to be dry and moisture is an important factor. I wash every other day and I use the Purology line for my long thick curly hair. I air dry and use Curl Rock and a styling gel. As my stylist said, healthly hair (even with my long curly hair) dries fast.

1. Don't by cheapo junk products from the store. Since salon products like Purology are concentrated, my shampoo and conditioner bottles have lasted over six months.
  2. Do not use anything metal in your hair (snags and pulls)
  3. If you choose to dry your hair, do not it all the way through (big hair and big frizz)
  4. Since you have curly hair, do not dry it upside down (big hair)
  5. Never brush your hair with a hair brush, it will ruin your curly hair (curly hair is fragile).
  6. Use a wide tooth comb to comb in your conditioner.
  7. Gently bound your hair up or drape it over your pillow to prevent tangle (easier to restyle in the morning) for sleeping.

There are a lot of things you can find on the internet about long curly hair from the extreme (not washing your hair) to something more reasonable. So take it all with a grain of salt, but most definitely look for a stylist that knows how to work with curly hair.

Good luck!

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:03pm
You can also try detergent free shampoo. Lamabeauty.com has pretty good ones. All natural and no detergent.
Porpoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porpoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:04am
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

I don't think curly hair needs a diffuser... Have you had luck with airdrying?

Curly or wavy hair definitely needs a diffuser when blowdrying. Otherwise all the curls and waves will be blown out and the hair will poof up.
DANGER! I drive like you do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic