Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Henna-ed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henna-ed
    Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:03am

After my friend got a fantastic result with the lush henna, I decided to have a shot myself. i had an idea it would be messy but didn't know how much! I've just finished scrubbing the carpets and such and my hands and nails are sea green. I'll post pics when i wash out.

PS: Any idea how to clean hands?

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:21am
Ooooh, I am curious about how that worked for you! Sorry about the mess. Maybe try some lava soap or Simple Green? Simple Green has always gotten out every stain I've ever had! (I get it at the super market here.....in the cleaning section).
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:58am
Oooh, I can't wait for pictures! Maybe try wearing plastic gloves next time? I henna my hands and it leaves a stain for about a week unless you wipe it off immediately. The longer you leave it on, the darker it gets. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:24am

Plastic gloves are definitely the way forward,  however, if desperate nail varnish remover and elbow grease (I had to resort to this a few years ago, no lasting damage as long as you wash it off and moisturise - I have really sensitive skin but it survived!).  If not desperate just scrub away (with exfoliator)

If you can't get gloves make sure you put vaseline on hair line and put nail varnish on your nails (front and back - remove when done).

3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:55am
I totally forgot gloves until I was wrist-deep in henna! The nail varnish remover sounds good. Usually I bleach my hands after stuff like this which isn't too good.
Karen26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:35pm

Oh I mixed this last dose waaaaay too watery.  It'd been almost a year since I'd henna-ed last and I had a heck of a lot more hair then.  So, I was completely discombobulated.   Talk about a messy mess.  Oh my goodness!

I usually lay down an old towel to stand on.  First removing any bathroom rugs or anything that might be in slinging distance of the sludge I'm getting ready to apply (using that term loosely).

Put on gloves.  Make sure you don't use anything metal during the preparation or mixing, or application.  Remove all jewelry.

Then I strip down to my undies, sometimes it's all off during the ap.  Having a change of old clothes nearby with a button up shirt. 

Make sure to have a damp old washcloth nearby to wipe up or wipe off with as you go.  That helps a lot.  I usually have my husband come in and wipe off any dribbles on my body first.  Then we wipe off the counter next when I'm done with my hair.

I've never had a problem with it staining the sink or floor.  I have tile.  But this most recent time, with my watered down disaster mix, I did end up with it on my nails.  It's been almost a week since I've henna-ed and it's gradually going away. There's hope!!!!

Post pics when you get the chance.  Can't wait to see it!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:02pm
It's mega greasy just now. I might CO in the morning just to make it a bit lighter. It seems very similar to my old colour as it was quite close to start with maybe the odd hint of red. The bottom layer is VERY dark and kind of mirror shiney. I'm not really impressed so far but I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:21pm

I loved the color I got when I used henna,but It made my hair feel dry?

How does it look on your dark hair HFO.I prelightened mine cause I was afraid it would look too dark.I'm really excited to see the after pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:52pm
I'll see how it develops and post some in about three days.
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:48pm
Cool, can't wait to see your pics!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:17pm
I remember Rini or someone else saying that it takes a few days before the true color if henna emerges on your hair....I also can't wait to see the photo!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:01am

How did I miss this thread???????

HFO....yay for you!!!!   I'm so glad you went the henna route, I'll forgive the fact that you used Lush henna this time....but only this time OK? hehe

Anyway, Lush is quite messy to apply and does tend to stain. When I henna, I always wear latex gloves and apply with a tint brush. I don't get drops anywhere anymore. I do it every 3-4 weeks, so maybe I'm just practiced? Also, I get staining on my ears/hairline for maybe 24 hours, then it's all gone.  I don't take any preventative measures for staining (ie..vaseline on skin) as it interferes with the colour uptake on my hair and I want MAXIMUM staining there!  I do use BAQ henna though.

The colour takes about 3 days to fully develop, so you will get a good indication then.  Just a word of advice, be careful not to over-condition your hair after you have henna-ed.  I can usually go a week without having to use conditioner and my hair is so soft and slippery that it's hard to wear in upstyles

Now I am HANGING OUT to see those pics!!!!!!!!!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:50am

It's getting darker and darker as the day goes on! Last night it looked just like it did pre-henna but now it's the same colour as my roots! I never maintain root colour because my hair naturally fades but now it's the colour I've always wanted! I'd be happy if it got a tiny bit darker but anything after this tone is great. My hands are a tad bruised still.

Rini: I know you advised against it but my friend's result was fab! She went from mousy brown to shiney, defined brown so I had to try it. Yes it was messy! I also put chocolate, coffee and paprika into the mix just to strengthen it.

EDIT: Okay I got a picture!

Edited by Hellfrozeover
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:43am
Wow!! I love your color! What did you say your natural haircolor was?
What is the color that you have now called? *jumping up and down* I also want that color

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:28am

My natural colour is like that at the roots, maybe a bit less red and fading down to light brown-red at the ends.

That was caca brun but maybe you'd be better using Caca-Noir dilluted a bit or left on for longer since you're quite fair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:59am
OMG, HFO!!!! That is such a beautiful color!!! Oh, the shine......WOW. I am so tempted.
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 2:00pm
So you recommend a black color (Caca-Noir)? I guess if i where to dilute it it would become lighter? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 2:30pm
Yep. I noticed a mistake in that bit. I meant leave it on for less time. Oh and cling-film wrap it or it'll come out more blueish than red. Good luck!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:05pm

HFO...that is some awesome, shiny, colour there! Mmmmmm...chocolate...

The reasons for me not endorsing Lush henna are: messy/hard to apply, can give unpredictable colour, can cause dryness.  Having said that, however, I would not say "don't use Lush".  Rather, try out some real BAQ henna some time and see the difference.  Your hair looks like it has done rather well with Lush, so stick to what works

Btw, that colour can be achieved with henna and indigo too (and for those who are interested, I now have my indigo so I am concocting an "evil" plan for my best friend's hair. Results should be in any day now!)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:51pm
Awesome color, HFO. 

caca-brun / caca-noir?  Erm, that's an unusual name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic