Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when are you ready for short hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ragdollragdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragdollragdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when are you ready for short hair
    Posted: April 02 2006 at 1:31pm

I love long hair and I have shoulder length hair. How do you know when you are ready for short hair. I have been constantly thinking back and forth on my hair. Most of the time I think about getting itt short. Then I go and say to myself I like putting it in ponytails .I am 40 years old. I find myself thinking about 3/4 of the time on short hair is that a sign that I am ready for short hair.I been thinking about for over a month now. Last time my hair was really short was when I was a kid and hated it.

Edited by ragdollragdoll
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 2:27pm

You may have been influenced by the old adage that you should cut your short when you reach 40.  Quite were this comes from I don't know but your age and hair length are not directly connected - all 20 or 25 year olds do not have long hair and all women over 40 don't have short hair.

I suspect that one main reason for women going from long to short is  when the effort of maintaining their long hair becomes more of an inconvenience and hassle than the finished style itself. 

At least you have not acted impulsively and cut it short.  It may be that you would like to change your style but that doesn't necessarily mean going short.

Inferring from what you have said it seems that you would miss you long hair at present - so its probably not the right time for you.

Edited by Heratic
Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 3:57pm
Agree with heratic.
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 7:18am

I feel that whne you are ready you will ask yourself no more "Am I ready to go short"? This is something that you must be willing to accept and not blame the barber or stylist  for taking it too short. Before I cut a clients hair short we both need to agree on what the final cut is to be. Then sometimes I would ask if they want the ponytail saved or if it can be donated will they do so.But let me say at age 40 most ladies have shorter hair styles. Most of them may not want to deal with longer hair or I had a few that had gotten perms and wanted all of the old dry hair cut off and then are willing to go short. I do agree that maybe you should go short in steps. Try a shorter bob, then a inverted bob. Next a wedge then go into layers. do this over a period of  a year and step into short hair slooooowly. All of the  those cuts have a grow out time and  could be less than four months if you don't care for the cut.I have cut lots of short hair on ladies both young and old and I must say there is no rules. But be willing to accept short hair is somthing you must want. 

Mike

bigtmyers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtmyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 12:46pm
I also have long hair for the moment. And just for the record I'm 47. For me, knowing when to cut it comes from "inside". It's almost like a burning desire. It's all I think about, I look at all the short hair sites and find a style and then can't get it out of my mind. It's like a "living thing that I have to feed" it eats at me till I can't stand it. Then I know that no matter how much I try to fight it, I can't. Almost like an addiction, I have to have my hair cut short. I have gone from long to short several times.  I am trying to fight the feeling right now...don't know how long I can hold out. When I do give in this time it will be a long to very short cut all at once. Hey, if I gonna cut my hair I'm going to make it a major change.  Good luck in you quest.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 12:57pm
I'm the opposite of "common knowledge" and think short hair looks simply astrocious on most older women. Short hair is a youthful thing for making young women look cute and beautiful. You can't just butcher pieces of youthfulness around like that and think it will make you look younger, anymore than dressing in the "Latest fashion" will. I think older women should keep their hair longer as not to draw too much attention to their faces.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic