Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lighten and Remove Orange?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighten and Remove Orange?
    Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:30am
Hi,

Your hair is left with orange in because you tried to put blonde dye over brown dye...this doesn't work - dye can't lighten dye.  Blonde dyes are made for people with already blonde hair who want a different shade.  So what you should have done was stripped the brown out of your hair with Colorfix to remove the permanent brown (you'd have been left with a  blonde/orangey colour) and then bleached/toned to get it back to the blonde you want.

This should pretty straightforward for a professional hairdresser to do, people do it at home with good results.  Make sure you tell him/her exactly what you want - no orange!
honey1244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honey1244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 12:48am

i think ur hair looks best in the first pic. i am really blond too. what i do to make sure i dont get any orange in my hair is i have my stylist do a honey blond base color all over, then i add very whit/blond highlight (partial). but it all depends on the stylist, you need to find someone who is not afriad to use bleach!. bleach is how you get that platnium/white blond.

as far as something u can buy in stores, i havent ever tried anything, i dont like to domy hair myself, for fear i will mess it up, but my friend told me she used this thing called "get red out" and it took a lot of the oragne she had in her hair. she has a similar problem to you.

but to be honest i think u need to find a good colorist that u feel comfortable with.. i have learned that just because they are expensive, doesnt mean they are great. have a consultation with them and tell them ur problem and what u want. talk to them, once they get you to the color u want, maintaining it is simple.

hope this helps...

Yoshiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoshiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:42pm

I am sorry I cannot help you... but you look really good in the first pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XoNikchick04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XoNikchick04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 7:16pm

Hi there - Hoping somoene can help me out with a hair color situation.  I've got naturally light brown hair that I've been getting professionally lightened for years.  I've always had my hair about a medium neutral blonde color, and I've always loved it.  In about early November, I got a little bored with my hair and came up with the genius idea that it would be fun to go brunette.  I purchased a permanent light brown haircolor (similar to my natural hair color) from the drugstore - I believe the brand was Herbal Essences.  The result was a horrible bright orange color which I covered over with a darker ash brown semi-permanent.  The color was nice, a darker brown than my natural color, but no orange, which was great.  I left it alone for a couple of months and got professional highlights in early January to give me a little bit of my blonde, which I had missed.  About a month ago, I decided that I wanted to go back to my old blonde, but couldn't afford a trip to the salon (I'm a poor college student!).  I bought a permanent drugstore color (Feria) which again turned my hair a bit orange. (I don't know where this orange keeps on coming from - I have no warm tones in my natural hair color).  Again, I went over it with a semi-permanent ash color, which toned things down quite a bit, although there are still some orangey tones present.  Since then, I've been using lots of deep conditioning treatments since my hair has been through so many processes.  It isn't in terrible condition though - My ends are a bit dry, but I think I just need a good haircut.  I've made an appointment at the salon for May 9 - Originally I made the appointment for highlights and a haircut, but I don't think highlights are what I really need.  Ideally, I would like to have the orangeyness removed from my hair, and have it lightened to a medium neutral blonde, similar to the way it was before I messed with it.  Here are pictures of before I touched it, the dark brown, and the way it is currently.  What should I tell the hairdresser to do to my hair to get it back to the way I want it?  Once I get my hair back to the blonde that I like, I promise never to touch it myself again! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!  :)

Nikki

Before (Blonde):

http://www.picfury.com/d/nikkibug-1.html

Dark Brown:

http://www.picfury.com/d/shanshoot-1.html

Now (Darker Blonde w/orange tones):

http://www.picfury.com/d/nikniknak-1.html

Edited by XoNikchick04
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic