Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

conditioner problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conditioner problems
    Posted: April 07 2006 at 8:03am
For about three months, I was using a Matrix sleek.look conditioner that my sister gave me for Christmas. I had very smooth, easy to comb hair with few troubles.

After I ran out, I started using Redken Extreme conditioner that my roommate got me for Christmas. The outcome is pretty much horrible. I can't get a comb through my hair for the life of me, even with a ton of leave in. It just doesn't seem to help.

So I was just wondering if any of you ingredient smart people could tell me if there was maybe something in the ingredients that could be causing the drastic problems. I already did the research, but I know nothing about hair products so if you could give me some insight, that would be superb.      Thanks!

The one that worked - Sleek.look Smoothing System by Matrix
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007CXXO6/102-8544284-6284 154?v=glance&n=3760901

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance/Perfum, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Shea Butter Fruit/Butyrospermum Parkii, Silk Amino Acid

This one isn't working - Redken Extreme Conditioner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007CXYFE/102-8544284-6284 154?v=glance&n=3760901

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentsiloxane, Stearalkonium Chloride, Isotearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Guar Hydropropyltrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Fragrance(Perfum), Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Arginine HCl, Disodium EDTA, Taurine, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Oleth-10, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Lecitin, Phosphoric Acid, Trehalose, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:57am

Hi Holly, good to see you on the board. I hope you went back to the Matrix! I guess the thing that jumped out at me is that the one that didn't work has cones. The one that did work does not have cones but has some shea butter. I think some hair really does not like cones - maybe you are one of those?

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 5:31am
Perhaps the silicones in these products is building up?  You might want to try clarifying to see if this sorts out the problem.  Baking soda might help.  I think that the dimethicone in the Redken could be the culprit.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Rinny86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinny86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 5:25am

Hey Holly!

Did you know that the Redken Extreme line is designed for people whose hair is weak and damaged? It is a protein conditioner, so its main purpose is to give your hair strength and resistance, not to make it smooth and silky. I know the ingredients seem pretty similar, and both contain hydrolised wheat protein, but I am pretty sure that is what the problem is. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong! By the way, DEFINATELY go back to your matrix conditioner, if it was working for you.

Hope this helps, Corinne 

.:*``*:.~*CoRiNnE*~.:*``*:.
      *Long Hair Lover*   
      Hair type- 1c F ii
noeyangel77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noeyangel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 6:59am

Hi Holly,

Corinne is right.  Redkin Extreem series are protein reconstructers. Which one did you use?  I have used Redkin Deep Fuel and CAT and they both made my hiar similair to what you discribe.  In your past posts you were concerned that you might have a little damage in your hair.  It looks healthy in your pictures - but only you can see your split ends and if you have breakage.  If you do then using the Redkin conditioner can help your hair and reduce damage from getting worse - but only use it once every 2 weeks. - BUT you have to follow up with a deep conditioner after you rinse out the redkin one.  The Redkin conditioner just acts like a "treatment" and does not say on the bottle to use a deep conditioner after, but from research on this site I have found that most people have to use a deep conditioner after any kind of protein treatment.  You will also have to clarify your hair twice a month as well because the proteins will build up and can also make you hair break if there is too much protein in your hair!  These products can be tricky - I only discovered them because my hair was fried by an incompetent hairdresser

Hope this helps!

Noelle

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:24pm
Good points by Rinny and Noelle.   Holly, your hair doesn't look like it's in need of a deep conditioner (It looks so healthy already!).

BTW I like the collage you've constructed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic