Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! I ruined my hair!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! I ruined my hair!!!
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 2:01pm

I always color and highlight my hair but it was still really healthy.  I had been growing it out for the last three years.  Two weeks ago I bleached it, colored it, and highlighted it; but it was still in really good condition.  Well two days ago I decided to chemically straighten it (stupid idea) and it started breaking off even while I was doing it.  It is overprocessed and breaking off really bad.  I can't even get a comb through it unless it is really wet.  It looks fried and I've already lost a lot.

I have tried several deep conditioners and I don't know what else I can do to help it.  The damage is all over it and cutting it will not help.  Is time the only thing that can make it better??? 

~Summer~

DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 3:16pm

Hi

I don't know much about chemical straightening but it sounds as if you did too much to your hair in too short a time. My best advice to you would be to use a really good intensive conditioner and maybe a leave in conditioner and continue to treat the hair in this way for some time. Hopefully, you may see some improvement soon. I dare say that maybe someone more qualified could give you better advice. good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 5:29pm

My hairstylist said that I overprocessed it because I put the straightener on top of bleached hair.  She didn't really give me a lot of advice as to whether it will get any better.

Right now it is really dry in some areas and in other areas is has that "gummy" sticky feeling.  It is past my shoulders but the damage goes almost all the way up to the roots.  At least right now I can pull it back...but I would have to shave it all off to get rid of all the damage....that won't be happening.

I got all the Joico K-Pac products and have been using them for the last couple of days.  I "think" the reconstructor has helped a little....maybe if I keep using it over time my hair will get a little better so that I can get a style that is a little shorter than my shoulders.

I read somewhere that once your hair is overprocessed and is "gummy" that you have stripped the cuticle and that nothing can repair it except cutting it off. 

I hope it can get better

DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 3:54am

Hi Summer

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened to your hair and as I said earlier...I'm no expert but when I have damaged my hair in the past I've always found that good intensive treatments help and if your seeing some improvement then thats got to be a good sign. Maybe someone on these boards will be able to help you out with advice. For now, I would continue to use the Joico K-Pac and see how things pan out. Hope things improve for you real soon. Good luck.Thumbs Up

goldlady66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldlady66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:58am
I know how you feel. My hair is now all shaved off due to a Certified Color Tech she left during my hair being processed under the dryer dur to her daughter being sick and left me with one of her employees to finish me after an hour and a half under the dryer my hair was like spaghetti it was mushy and falling out.The best stuff that I used before I went and had it shaved off is Sebastian Laminates Masque Reconstructive Treatment, Goldwell Definition Dry and Pourous Conditioning Treatment and Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer the can not repair your hair but they do contain Silicones that will make your hair feel much better.And when leaving it on your hair as a deep treatment ( leave it on for as long as you can) it will make a difference. I tried the Joico K- Pak but it did not hold a candle to the others.After you shampoo and condition your hair use a wide tooth comb to brush out your hair it will keep it from falling out more. I wish you the best of luck.Too bad there is no miracle cure to grow you hair faster.I would also do the deep conditioning atleast 2 times a week.And use a good hair serum for a leave in conditioner.John Frieda frizz ease is one of the best just because a product cost less does not make it a poor selection.I wish everbody could read the book Don't go shopping for HairCare Products Without Me by Paula Begoun then you would find the right products for your hair.Just remember just because a product is expensive it does not make it any better than Drug store products most of the BIG Companies also have products in the Drug Store. LOL
Just be glad we are not getting all the Goverment we are paying for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 9:13am

Hey everyone thanks for your posts!

Yesterday I finally went to my salon because I just couldn't stand waiting anymore.  I had scheduled a deep conditioning treatment and went their prepared to cut most of my hair off.  But the salon manager said that not long ago she had messed up her hair and it was just like mine....she said she used the deep conditioning treatments at the salon and then redken extreme products.  Her hair is really long and pretty now.  They told me I didn't need to cut my hair off just keep coming in for the treatments (yes i know...more money for them...but if it works I don't care) and use the redken extreme treatments everyday in between. 

Anyways after they did the treatment my hair was a lot better and she only snipped off my ends.  I definately notice a difference today so Im going to keep using the redken extreme treatments and then on Friday I am going back for another deep conditioning treatment.

I am so happy I don't have to chop it all off!!!  I plan on just slowly getting it trimmed until all the damage is totally gone.  I don't ever plan to bleach or straighten my hair ever again, lol.

DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 10:42am

Hi Summer

I am so pleased that things are looking better for you now. Its a horrible experience for you to have gone through, still the outcome was not as bad as you feared it would be thankgoodness. Its really sad to hear about what happened to goldlady66 isn't it? what a terrible thing to have gone through, hair is so important to us ladies isn't it? I wish you both well and hope that everything works out well for both of you. Your hair will soon grow back goldlady and at least then  you will have a glorious head full of healthy hair....it will have been worth it in the end. Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 3:46pm

Thanks Dulcie,  Im so releived that my hair is doing better.  Im so lucky because I was about to go to one of my old stylists...and she wanted to cut it all off.  But I changed my mind and went to the salon I had been going to and they said it was fixable.

Goldlady~

I am so sorry you had to shave all your hair off.  I never realized how much my hair meant to me until I about lost it all.  On the bright side short hair always grows fast and your hair will be so healthy again!!!  I've really learned a lesson to not do so much to my hair anymore. 

I have been doing the Redken Extreme treatments everyday and I can tell my hair is really improving.  It is still in a delicate condition but much much better.  Redken Extreme products are a miracle product!! Thats just my opinion.

DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 4:07pm

Your most welcome natasha, I wish you all the best.

DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 4:08pm

Sorry, should have been Summer not natasha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:44pm

He he he, too funny...I've been called a lot of things but not Natasha....that is a first, lol ,

Summer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:35pm

Edited by summer*22*
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:05am

Hi Summer ( got it right this time )

Lucky you....Both colours suit you very well and you could wear either and still look good.

Personally, I like the blonde on you best but thats just my opinion, if you feel more comfortable wearing the brunette then do whats right for YOU. Hope this helps.

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 9:35pm
I'm glad your hair is getting better. Speak with your stylist about your reconstructor, especially if it has protein in it. According to my stylist, protein overload can make your hair break off also. So, if you're using a protein reconstructor a couple of times per week, it may be doing more harm than good. But whatever your stylist is using on it must be doing a good job, so that may be enough.
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Tisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:35am
Ouidad Deep Treatment, is the best.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 9:36pm
  What you need to get is a PROTEIN FILLER probably from Sally's beauty supply store  (or your nearest beauty supply store)  They have clear neutral ones and colored ones. Start by letting the protein sit in your hair about 15-20 minutes a day. Also,next time you color,ADD the PROTEIN in with the dye.When the hair cuticle opens up,it will take in the dye and THE MUCH NEEDED protein,making your hair softer,shinier/stronger. Make sure to get a trim (I know this sucks,but it's the only way)
 Also,a good product to try: Nexus hair emergencee. This is a life saver,just make sure to FOLLOW the drections. Believe me,you are not the only one to do this! Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic