Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red, curly hair - Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Locke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red, curly hair - Advice?
    Posted: April 14 2006 at 3:03pm
Finally, after  a half hour of searching  I stumbled across this site.  I  came to this site hoping that I  could get some advice on  what to do with my hair.  I am a 16 year old guy and  have  curly  red hair. I  have never liked my hair color and the curls, but  ever since  this one movie came out (guess which one) , I have gotten the nickname  'Napoleon.'  Unfortunatly, I have fair skin (part of the red hair deal) so Ive been told that dying my hair would be  a mistake, as whatever color I would change my hair to would probably not work well with my complexion. I have tried short hair,  that doesnt work well, because my ears stick out and  now Ive grown it out  to a point where people say it looks like a fro' .  I want to  have shaggy  hair that curls slightly upward around the neck, but I dont know if this is possible.Is it possible to get rid of the curls alltogether?  I d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 5:36pm

Nope, curly hair will stay curly unless you damage it with chemicals. but your hair sounds fabulous so I don't know what you're talking about, boy!  

I say keep it curly and give it double-doses of condtioner.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
oddlots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddlots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 2:11pm
I know how you're feeling right now!  I've got curly, red hair and I've been growing it since I was about 12 or 13.

I can see where a redhead's skin tones wouldn't work with most other hair colors.  I've seen some people who look ridiculous after dying their hair a shade that didn't take their skin tone into account at all.  What I've had luck with is getting highlights and lowlights to make my hair a bit less Ronald McDonald red, and more of a textural, multi-dimensional auburn (I already have fairly auburn hair to begin with).

As was mentioned, the only way to really get rid of your curls is chemical straightening.  It can be damaging, although when I had it done I was lucky and never had bad results.

What I'd recommend instead of straightening it is to learn how to style your hair so that it's curly, but not afro-ish.  Use a hairpolish to cut frizz and boost shine.  Scrunch it when damp using gel, mousse, or a scrunching spray that will help hold your curls and make them a bit less like Napoleon's.

The popular shaggy look would be possible, though it may take a bit more styling than if you had straight hair.  If I were you, I'd find a way to have the shaggy look while leaving your hair curly.  Curls might actually make it easier to have a slightly messy, longer look, though it may be a bit different that you'd originally hoped for.

EDIT: I know that it took me years before I really loved my hair.  I was constantly told my by mom, my stylist, and all the girls I knew how lucky I was to have curly auburn-red hair, but all I wanted was thin, straight, jet black hair!  Now I'm unbelievaably glad that I have the color, curl, and body that I do.  Once you learn to control the frizz and curls I think you'll feel the same way.

Do you have any pictures of the exact style you'd been hoping to acheive?

Edited by oddlots
Locke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 7:19pm
Thanks for all of you're help. I'll post pictures as soon as I find them!!
Locke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 11:35am

sorry that it took me so long, but thats pretty much the hairstyle im looking for. Any Ideas?
SupaFresh208 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Royal Rumble 07 Champ.360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupaFresh208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 8:44am
dye ur hair
"FOR BETTER CONNECTIONS BRUSH SLOWER WITH LESS PRESSURE"

WOLFING COMPLETE = MY WAVES ARE UNTOUCHABLE
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:21pm
if you do that style its going to look like a mop of curls just a big afro of curls that look is best on straight hair, but you could pull something like this off for culry hair or wavy  http://newwoman.ru/pic28/120105_men_hair_025.jpg
Babycheeks
Porpoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porpoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:19am
You'd have to straighten your hair to get that look and it may be more than you want to achieve. Many people would kill for red curly hair. Work with your curls instead of against them. Curly hair is hot.
DANGER! I drive like you do.
SupaFresh208 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Royal Rumble 07 Champ.360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupaFresh208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 11:11am
true story
"FOR BETTER CONNECTIONS BRUSH SLOWER WITH LESS PRESSURE"

WOLFING COMPLETE = MY WAVES ARE UNTOUCHABLE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic