Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Hair Care Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Hair Care Update
    Posted: April 15 2006 at 1:35am

Like Rini, I've been interested in natural hair care for awhile. I did some reasearch and some experimentation, and want to share what I've found out and maybe learn from those who know how to do it! So feel free to add to this thread to post your own experiences.

I'm defining natural to be herbs, produce (avocado, or???), honey, seaweed, teas, and any product that doesn't contain extra chemicals or additives like Sodium Laurel Sulfate. Please add to this definition if you like

I have rosemary and lavender growing in my garden and decided to crush these herbs and boil them with some honeybush tea (an herbal tea from Africa that has antioxidants and other good properties). Rosemary is supposed to help with greying hair. Lavender just smells great! Also lavender is supposed to be cleansing.

I used this infusion to wash my hair all last week (didn't use anything else). My hair felt a bit strange (kind of sticky), but I just braided all week. After a week I did a CWC with diluted natural shampoo and conditioner.

I've also been doing cassia treatments once a week, this last one with avocado and honey.

So far I've got nice shine and thicker length, but somewhat drier ends. I'm avoiding oils for now because I usually have to remove them with shampoo, and I'm trying to minimize shampoo use right now.

Oh, and I've ordered some samples of Chagrin Valley shampoo soaps to try out.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 6:07am

Good on ya girl!! You certainly have been a busy little bee  

I am hoping to get into the herbal thing big time. Unfortunately, where I live, there is NOTHING around so I have to get everything online.

At the moment I'm just reading and reading and reading. I want to get as many different herbs as I can, then start concocting my own brews.  Of course I already concoct henna brews every 3 weeks and am always trying different additives there.

SK...when you used the infusion to wash your hair, how did you do it? Just pour it over? Any rubbing/scrubbing or just letting it sit?  The sticky hair you describe sounds like sebum building up, so maybe the wash doesn't dissolve sebum?

As for oils, do you use Jojoba? I find that this is the only oil I don't have to shampoo out (CO on the  length works fine for this). I wondered if it would work for you, seeing as we are hair twins!!

Keep us updated!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 11:03am

Thanks Rini for the info. I did pour the infusion over, and then do a very small bit of rubbing so it reached my scalp. I agree with you, it was probably not dissolving the sebum. Once I did a CWC at the end of the week, the stickiness was gone! I think I'll use this concoction as a rinse instead of a cleanser.

As for jojoba, I haven't tried it yet because I can't seem to find it in my area. I think I may have to order it online.....

When you CO, what conditioners are you using? I am trying to phase out my favorite, which contains SLS

Thanks Twin!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 5:28am

Well CO alone does not work for me.  I CWC using a cheapo conditioner to start with (sun kissed raspberry) and another slightly less cheap condish to finish with (Pears brand) mixed with honey. I use jojoba oil as a leave-in after every wash, and it never builds up and comes out just great with CO.

The rinse idea sounds great   Tell us how your hair feels this week while doing this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:07pm
Hair still feels a bit sticky with both the rinse and the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars I'm using. I've ditched the CO for awhile to try this natural thing out. I'm not sure I like the outcome though. I may go back to good ole shampoo.
Nastasska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nastasska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:22am

I love all natural products too These are my particular favourite

www.puristusa.com

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/fuseli_nightmare-1.jpg" />
Cats may have staff but dogs have slaves, tired ones
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 3:23am
I must say, Kitty and Rini, you do both have gorgeous hair! I just love it!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 4:45am
Thank you Alayney......we think we might be hair twins!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:56am
Thank You Alayney!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic