Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coloring Over Processed Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
grits375 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grits375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coloring Over Processed Hair
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:51am

To say that my hair is over processed is an incredible understatement. 

I have kept my hair short for about 8 years and now would like to grow it out.  A few months ago, I had the great idea to highlight my own hair after coloring it.  Well it didn't look so good, so I thought I could color over all of it again.  Bad bad bad bad idea. 

My great hairdresser colored it for me and got my color back on track, but all the chemicals left my hair's texture like straw.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago.  I called my hairdresser and told her that my hair in its growing quest was at an awkward state and I wanted to go back short.  She suggested a perm.  So in for a perm I go.  I cried when I saw how my kinky my once straight hair was so we decided to straighten it right then. 

Now my hair is like straw and little wires.  It's so hard for me to style it with my round brush and hairdryer.  I am thinking of cutting it all off because I've tried deep conditioning, hot oil treatments...you name it and nothing will make it better.

My roots are now my problem.  Because my hair is straight and the way I style it, my roots look horrible.  My question is this, is there a color I can use that won't add more chemicals to my hair?  Is there a temporary color that I can use without further causing damage?

Thanks.
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 10:08am
I think your hairdresser stinks. I cannot believe she did a perm on your already damaged hair. Even a semi-permanent color will further damage your hair, and you are at serious risk of either frying it off or having it fall out. It MAY work and not kill your hair, but you would be taking a risk. If I were you I would get a good cut, deep condition regularly, and get your hair grown back out without so many chemicals on it. You can visit the bloopers board. There are tons of posts about helping to improve the condition of damaged hair. Also, there is a Lanza(?) 5-step deep conditioning process that some salons offer (they do the treatment in the salon) that has been widely recommended here. I'm just afraid that any more chemicals on your hair will bring the heartache of major breakage/fallout. And your stylist NEVER should have permed your hair. You might want to consider switching.
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 11:10am
I must agree with hannebash and I find it quite incredible that a hairdresser would even suggest a perm on such damaged hair let alone do it. Hairdressers are a bit like doctors...we trust them and sometimes its not always the right thing to do. I would say that your hairdresser obviously doesn't care a hoot about your hair or your emotional welfare and I would not go back to her again. I think the suggestions that Hannebash made are absolutely the way for you to go and I would not be risking more colour at all if I were you. As you don't seem to mind your hair being short it won't take too long to rid yourself of the damaged hair.  I would suggest regular trims until all the damage hair has gone. Good Luck.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 9:53am

well chemical processes whether they are perms, relaxers or haircolor are all very damaging to hair strands and when you already have overprocessed hair it's like using gasoline to put out a fire....it's only going to make it worse. Sure it might cover or mask the damage for several days or even weeks but after that it's only going to look worse.

Unfortunately damage cannot be repaired but it can be managed. Find a salon in your area that specializes in the L'ANZA 5 Step Deep Conditioning Treatment it will cost you about $20 but it is the best thing you could do for your hair. I'd suggest 6 treatments once a week for 6 weeks...at a cost of about $15-$20 per treatment. Goto this site and use their salon locator and call to make an appointment to have this done...

http://www.lanza.com/news-pr15.htm

In the meantime use professional products only.....get yourself a nice moisturizing shampoo and condition the hair daily.....also get yourself a spray on leave in conditioner as well. In no time your hair's condition will improve enuff to the point that it won't look like it's fried, dyed and thrown to the side. It will look healthier and have shine and beauty to the hair.

G'luck

Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 6:51pm
I honestly think you'll need to cut it very short... let the roots grow out a few inches and get a very short cut, then grow that out. Get extensions if you have to.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:13pm
It takes a little time to get the hair back to looking healthier. I wouldn't give up after a couple of weeks. Just keep on treating it. That is just shocking that a hairdresser would do all that to a person's hair! Perm AND THEN straighten??? WOW! I do hope that you never plan on going there again! That place is headed for a lawsuit for sure!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic