Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing Out Wavy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing Out Wavy Hair
    Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:52am
I've spent nearly twenty years trying to have straight hair.  Every style I like, every haircut I admire, all for straight hair.
And mine is not.
But it's not curly, either.  It's just wavy and unruly and I've recently realized that I've been torturing it for a long time.  First, by bleaching it for too many years, until I decided at age 30 that platinum blonde was better left to the youngsters.  Then I tried red, which didn't suit me, and then grew out my  natural color.  Which, to my surprise, is a rather nice light brown with reddish highlights. 
I've been learning about being nicer to my hair, ever since I decided I wanted to grow it out again.  I started with boot-camp-short hair, the way it's been for a few years, then tried to get a style I'd seen and liked on an actress.  Naturally, that required time and effort with a hairdryer and straightening iron, and my hair let me know it was unhappy.  The ends started to split, it got dry and brittle, and it didn't matter how much conditioner I put in it, my hair was cranky
Then I started doing research on taking care of hair, trying to keep it in good shape for growing out, and I learned that what I've been doing to my poor hair is absolute torture.  No wonder my hair was annoyed!

To be continued....

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:56am
This is what I'm currently doing:
An Internet-friend with hip-length incredibly healthy red hair recommended that I try Aubrey Organics products, so I went ahead and got their shampoo and conditioner.
And after using those a few times, I went back to the store to buy their no-alcohol gel and hairspray and anything else I could find.  It's great stuff, and very gentle on my hair.
Since most of the time I work from home, I've tossed the hairdryer and straightening iron in a drawer.  After I wash and condition it, I put in a little of the Aubrey leave-in conditioner/detangler and part it, then let it air dry.  This may mean - depending on the day and the humidity level - that my hair stands up in twenty different directions.  I've learned how to pin it back with hairpins, wet or dry, and to use barettes to tame it when it's dry.  I am determined not to heat-damage my hair any more than I already have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:03am
As I've been reading up on the care and feeding of long hair - which is what I'd like, eventually - I've learned a lot.  One of the things that I learned is that I shouldn't shampoo every day.  Now, this is something that's a new idea for me.  Taking a shower but not shampooing my hair?  There are lots of different ways  of doing this, from giving up shampoo completely to only doing it once or twice a week, but I don't know if I can do that.  I know that tomorrow morning, I'll skip the hair-washing and see how my hair looks.  The only person who will see me is my doctor, and I know he doesn't care how I look. 
I've also learned how to make an apple cider vinegar rinse and put one together tonight in a squeeze-bottle for the next time I wash my hair.  Eeeew, does that smell bad!  Still, everyone keeps raving about the results.
I'm at a stage in growing it out where anyone that looks at me can clearly see that I'm at an awkward stage of growing out my hair.  The prenatal vitamins that I'm taking (trying to get pregnant, hasn't worked out so far) seem to help with hair growth, but it seems to be going horribly slowly because I think it looks so awful like this.
I see my stylist about every five or six weeks to snip the ends and attempt to give a little shape to the mop.  I'm keeping my bangs..er, fringe, for those of you in the UK, because I'm so self-conscious of my high forehead. 
In reference to the first post, every picture I've ever brought in to my stylist has been of someone with straight hair.  So she's under the impression that I'm happy to torture my hair with heat implements as long as I get the look I want.  Not to mention that she says that the flatiron doesn't damage my hair, but I can't manage to grow my hair out, because the damaged ends have to be cut off every time I go in.  What's damaging them?  Oh, the flatiron.  Time for a new stlisht,  I think. 
My next step is to find some pictures of wavy-haired girls with cuts that I like, which is harder than you'd think.  All the pictures I find are of Meg Ryan, who's cute, but her hair and mine seem different.  You never know, though.   As she's gotten older, she's abandoned the "cutesy" short hair for medium length hair that actually looks good onher
We'll see how the lack of shampoo goes tormorrow.

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:43pm
Was so tired this morning that I was in the middle of washing my hair before I realized I was doing it.  Oh well. 
I did rinse with the Apple Cider Vinegar solution.  Pheew, what a smell!  I used about two tablespoons of vinegar mixed with two cups of distilled water, shook it up in a squeeze bottle, and rinsed with that after I'd gotten all the conditioner out of my hair.  I was very careful to rinse with plain water for a long time after the ACV rinse, because of the smell. 
After the shower, I sprayed in some of the leave-in conditioner/detangler and combed it out, then sectioned the top into three pieces and pinned them back with hairpins.  I've discovered that this makes those sections dry straight.  Now if I can just figure out how to get the sides and back to not flip out and look nutty, I'll be set.
I think that the key may be just letting the sides and back grow.  The longer it is, the wavier it is, but it's more manageable, too.

So tomorrow, shower but no shampoo.  I'm looking up recipes for baking soda shampoo, but they seem mostly aimed at oily hair.  And the conditioner-only rinses seems more for really long hair than for hair that only reaches my earlobes. 

I wouldn't mind this style, but my hair isn't curly enough for it:

Well, my hair might be curly enough.  I'm going to print the picture out and see what the stylist says.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:45pm
At a second glance, though, that cut is all layers.  Do I want layers?  What they keep harping about on the long hair sites is how layers are bad, but I think I might need layers - I've got really thick, wavy hair. This style might be better:

Yep, Meg Ryan again, but she and I have very similar hair, it seems.  What I'd like to do is have that medium-length layered cut to grow out to a longer layered cut. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 3:14pm
No shampoo today, but since I did put a little oil on the ends last night, I rinsed with the ACV/water mix.  And gave it a good rub-through.
Hair looks about the same, frankly.  Though my scalp is a bit itchy.  Prior to learning about hair/scalp care, I would have blamed it on not washing my hair.  Now I know that my scalp is itchy because it's dry and that not washing it will help it, not hurt it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:45pm
Also, I think I'm switching hairdressers.

For years, I went to someone who was good with color and bad with cuts and who gave me great blond hair and a bob with straight bangs that was okay to manage.  I could straighten the hair or not, it was up to me, but everything was one length and she was never very good at thinning my hair.  And since chin-length hair that's really thick needs thinning out, it didn't always look great.  But I'm lazy.  I stayed with Brandy.
Then, after I went to a short haircut that was absolutely disastrous with Brandy - how can a stylist at an expensive salon not be able to handle layers? - and left me with a friend and a pair of scissors out on my desk trying to even things out, I switched to Carrie.  She has pink and black hair and is into the Goth community and let me try a bunch of colors that she probably shouldn't have let me try.  Still, my hair was really short, so colors grew out fast.  After the dark red/maroon that looked awful on me, I decided to try my natural color.
Surprise!  Turns out I'm a brunette - with grey streaks.
I wanted to grow my hair out.  I told Carrie that.  Carrie kept cutting my hair short.  She's a bigwig in the Redken Hair Shows and travels a lot, so it was hard to get an appointment with her, plus she kept returning me to the same damn haircut. 
I went back to the expensive salon, to Karinna.  She's from Brazil and speaks with a heavy accent - interestingly, she's Chinese, as apparently many people in Brazil are.  The difficulty I've had with Karinna is that she's not willing to tell me what my hair will and will not do in order for it to remain healthy.  As far as she was concerned, I could blowdry and flatiron every day, if that acheived the look I wanted.  And since I wanted straight hair, the cuts she gave me were for straight hair and looked awful with the natural waves.  She also talked me into highlights, which I don't think really did anything.  I have a few streaks of lighter color.  Whooopee.  A little lemonjuice and time in the sun will get me the same thing. 

I need a hairdresser who is going to tell me what kind of hair I have - right now, it's allegedly "normal" rather than "dry" because I haven't been dying it.  I want someone who's willing to tell me no.  No, I can't have Kathryn Erbe's haircut, because her hair is straight.  No, I can't have Kathryn Morris' haircut, because her hair is straight and mine is not.  I need someone who is willing to cut the hair I actually have right now - not the hair I'd have after processing and straightening.
Karinna - the hairdresser I have now - talked me into highlights.  They're okay.  Nothing amazing.  But the parts of my hair that are colored are so much more fried and fragile than the rest of my hair.  The highlights look nice, but I don't think they're worth it.  I also don't think Karinna really understands that I don't want to straighten my hair every day.  Admtitedly, there's a language barrier of sorts.  And she's eager to please.  But I think she's so eager to please that she's cutting my hair into the style I want regardless of A) if it will look good on me or B) if my hair can handle it without a lot of styling products.

So next Wednesday I see a "senior stylist" named jessica at J. Gordon Designs for a consultation.  She'll look at my hair and scalp and I'll make sure shes not a pushover.
I don't mind paying $50 for a haircut.  I just want to like what I'm getting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 1:47pm
Massaged my scalp and the ends of my hair with the avacado oil last night, which is a lot heavier than jojoba.  This morning, I washed with the Aubrey Organics twice and it still felt greasy - unpleasantly so.  I've still got some California Baby gentle lavender/tea tree shampoo left, so I tried that and it got rid of the greasies.  I used the California Baby conditioner, too.  Left the ACV bottle downstairs, but apparently that's not an every day thing.  Only when you need to remove buildup. 
I did the pin-back thing again, only this time I sectioned it smaller and used more pins.  I also pinned the sides back, which meant they didn't wing up when they dried.  A definite plus!  Sectioning and pinning takes less time than the hairdryer and straightening iron, that's for sure.
To keep things neat - or as neat as I can get them - I've gotten some barettes.  After my hair is dry, I pin the top (the longest part) up in a barette.  Since my fringe is long, that gets pinned up too, giving me (oh no!) a naked forehead. 
My hair looks pretty good, actually.  As it gets longer, it's doing less of the weird winging-out thing.  Or maybe I'm just getting better at pinning it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:33pm
Took a shower last night - no shampoo, just an ACV rinse.  And then I scrunched my hair a little and let it dry curly.
WOW, do I have big hair when it's curly.  Remember how I said above that I couldn't have a certain hairstyle because it was curly?  I think I was wrong.  I don't have ringlets, but left to its own devices, my hair is wild.  Tousled doesn't even begin to describe it.  Here's a pic of my head, after my hair dried naturally without pins or any restrictions:
Front:

Left Side:

Right Side:

No wonder I pin it back when it dries, huh?  It's crazy-wild-wavy-curly.  Which, I'm told, is very in, but I'm not interested in that.
Just a few more inches and I'll be able to just let it be curly and not have to go through this routine of sectioning it out and pinning it back.  I still haven't decided on the fringe - that's one of the questions I"ll as the stylist this week when I see her.  Fringe or no fringe?  I have such a high forehead, and I hate the pictures of me with no fringe,  The problem is -  can I have there rest of my hair curly and my long, side-part fringe straight without using the heat products?
Have to see what the stylist says. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:38pm
And also, I shampoo'd last night.  This time I tried the ACV in between the shampoo and the conditioner and I think it made a difference.  My hair feels softer, even if it's sort of a rat's nest of curls at the moment.  I have it all pulled back into a bandanda.  If my hair wants to be free of restrictions - barettes, banadanas, etc. - it's going to have to learn how to behave.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:53pm
Oh dear.
I've just discovered that I could get hair extensions for under $200 that would last up to 6 months. 
Eeep. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:08pm
This afternoon I slicked a bunch of jojoba oil into my hair and left it there for about an hour.
Then I used the last of the ACV to rinse the oil out, and then washed it, which made getting the oil out a lot easier.  I used the Aubrey organics shampoo, and then the conditioner.  I put a shower cap on over my hair with the conditioner on it and did stuff like wash with the loofah while my hair sat in the conditioner.  I cool-rinsed off the conditioner, then dried my hair with the super-absorbent towel and sprayed in some of the conditioning spray.
Now I've got it all pinned back.  I mean, seriously pinned back.  There's probably about ten hairpins on my head.  I figure if I want to see if I can use the hairpins to really straighten it, I have to pin it everywhere and not just the few sections in front.  Hopefully this will keep the sides and back from curling up and I can take the pins out an put my hair up in a barette.
Which reminds me - this morning, when I was thinking I was going to leave early (I didn't end up going to breakfast, as my friend cancelled on me), I tried to put my wild-curly hair up in a barette.
It woudn't fit.
Seriously.  There was no way that I could put it up that it looked okay.  I ended up just pushing it all back with a bandana to get it off my face.
This length of hair is seriously annoying. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:11pm
The problem with the avacado oil is that it doesn't want to come out of my hair.
Seriously.
It took three shampooings before all the oil was out today.
Instead of going with one of the usual (Aubrey Organics, California Baby) conditioners, I tried a sample of this conditioner from Lush.  I'm wary of them, because I've heard some very bad things about their shampoo bars.  Of course, anyone can say anything on the intenet, but the descriptions of what happened to hair after being washed with a solid/bar shampoo  were all fairly similar, and none were good.  The conditioner is paraben free, but there's some cones in it.  I decided to give it a try anyway, and had to use so much of it that I'm convinced that Lush makes their money from forcing people to use a lot of product. 
My hair isn't nearly as soft today as it has been in the past, when I was using the Aubrey products. 
Speaking of Aubrey, I found out that rather than buying them direct from the website (Whole Foods doesn't carry everything I want), I can get things through the Vitaminshoppe Aubrey Organics section.
And it's at a discount, so that's definitely a plus.  I ordered a different Moisturizer, one that I heard recommened for curly hair, called "Island Natural Conditioner."  We'll see how it works.  The great thing about Aubrey is I don't think they have it in Canada, and my best friend is a big fan of organic shampoo.  I also ordered their brand of hairspray, as well as both kinds of spray-in conditioner. 
As a complete departure from the real topic of this blog, I was able to find what I needed and buy it at Vitaminshoppe much more quickly than through Aubrey because of the way their websites are designed.  Aubrey is very self-consciously "designed" and every type of product is in it's own little section.  Until I got to the Vitaminshoppe section, I didn't even know they made soap, and I've ordered direct from the Aubrey website.  That's bad web design, right there, speaking as a professional.
I'm reading through the posts at NaturallyCurly.com, finding out about curl activators and how you can get curls without killing your hair.  Since the waves really look more like curls, at this opint, maybe I'll give that a try.   I've always been a product whore.  Now I'll just be a hair-product whore, and I can always pass the stuff off to other people.  No one dislikes free shampoo and conditioner, especially expensive organic shampoo and conditioer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 1:04am
I just went over to Jessicurl, where I bought a "sample pack" of the lighter products. I like Aubrey Organics, but there's something to be said for hair products designed especially for people with my kind of hair.
As an aside, the Aubrey Organics website looks nice, but it's impossible to find anything on it.  It's organized in a very bizarre fashion. Obviously a case of a client not listening to the designer or the ecommerce consultant.  Much as I like to support small businesses, I've gone over to VitamineShoppe's Aubrey section and am making my purchases through there.  They had listings for Aubrey produts that I'd never seen or heard of and I looked at that website, searching out anything that might help. 

I'm tempted to oil my scalp again tonight because it's itchy.  I shouldn't, no matter how itchy it gets.  Oil won't help.  Oil is, in fact, part of the problem.

I know why my poor scalp is itchy.  I had to use three rounds of shampoo to get the avacado oil out this morning and I've dried out my hair and my scalp, nevermind that I put some conditioner on afterwards.  The damage was done.  I've found a recipe for a sort of mist that involves avacado oil that I'll probably try, because that oil has been proven to bee too heavy for my hair.  Maybe I'll send it to the Canadienne, but her hair is very thin, for all the curls it has.  Let's see...if Meesie is interested, it might be perfect fror her thick, coarse hair.  The bottle alone was $15.00 and i'm not letting that go to waste.
Reminder to self: do not wash your hair tomorrow.  Leave it alone.  I'ts unhappy wth you, which is not surprising.  Poor scalp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:49pm
No wash today.  Just a rinse with cold water.
Scalp is not itchy.  Hair looks a little greasy, but that could be because I'm interpreting "properly balanced with natural oils" as "greasy."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 9:36pm
Ordered the "Curly Girl" book that everyone over on naturallycurly.com keeps talking about.  It's expensive new, so I got a used copy.  Should come next week, so I can see what all the fuss is about.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:30am
Due to my husband watching a DVD of a television show called "Robot Chicken" that, despite his best efforts, I do not enjoy, I played in the kitchen tonight with hair stuff.
See, over at Natuarally Curly, people make up their own recipes.  And since anything curl-enhancing without horrid alcohol and smelly chemicals interested me, I tried making it.  The inventor of this recipe is a girl called music_al whose hair is much curlier than mine.  I don't know if it will work on me - I don't know if it will work on me, but it was fun to mix up my own batch of hair treatment.
Here's the recipe:
1 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. Conditioner
¼ tsp. Honey
2 tsp. Epsom Salt
1 Tbsp. Herbal Oil (or any oil)
1/3 cup gel

Put in spray bottle, shake well, and refrigerate.
----

I used the Aubrey Organics conditioner, since I have a second bottle of that, and it wouldn't dissolve fully in the water.  I finally ended up scooping clumps of it out of the mixture with a spoon.  So I have to admit that I don't have really high hopes for the mixture in my fridge, but that's due to my conditioner not being right, rather than the fault of the inventor.  I've written a note on that forum asking if anyone uses a certain conditioner and, if not, to make a note that Aubrey does not like to dissolve and doesn't work well in this mixture.

Part of my interest in leave-in sprays is that my skin is so sensistive to the sun that my scalp burns.  And let me tell you, a burned scalp is no fun, even if it's mild.  I've found some 45+  liquid sunblock that I think I could use in the mixture to protect my hair and scalp, which would be fantastic.

Normally I'd wash and condition tomorrow, because of yoga class.  However, due to the fact that I fell off a bench I was standing on and bent my ankle in a direction God never intended ankles to bend.  I was a bit worried at first that it was broken, but upon futher reflection, it appears to be a bad sprain.  So as I an barely walk, I'm not going to try to do yoga, and I'm fairly sure I'm not going to be doing much of anything else, either.
Muscle relaxants kicking in....must sleep....zzzzzz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:11pm
So due to the little accident I had yesterday - falling off a bench onto my ankle, ow - I went to the doctor today to be sure I wasn't broken.
Used California Baby shampoo and conditioner and now I'm convinced - that Lush coconut conditioner really sucks.  Bleh, Lush, on your hair products.  I like the skin products, but the hair products are awful.
After my shower, I tried the Aubrey spray-in conditioner, then tried the Tresemme Curl Definer that I picked up at Jewel last night.  Surpringly, it hasn't got 'cones or parabens in it. 
ETA: I was wrong.  It has 'cones - but very little, so I might keep using it.
And since it was cold and sleeting, I used the hair dryer with the diffuser very carefully on the lowest heat setting.
Then I tried the stuff I had in the fridge. 
Holy sh*t!  It works!  Kind of like a mix of spray-in conditioner and gel and you just spray it in and scrunch and you're ready to go.  Awesome!  I have to go buy cheap conditioner, because Aubrey's is too thick to dissolve in the hot water.  Other than that, though, I had no trouble with the recipe.
Waiting for my packet from JessiCurl.
Cancelled tomorrow's appointment with Jessica at J. Gordon Designs - hello, I'm on crutches and pain meds, I don't want to talk about my hair (only apparently I do) - and had a long talk with a friend of mine who also has the thick Irish wavy hair.
She says the only way to grow it out is to keep trimming the bottom - the hairline at the back - until the sides meet up, and then you have a bob and you can keep growing.  Until then, you just have to deal.  It sounds sensible.   She also agreed with me that thinning shears are for those who don't want to be wavy, or those who are afraid to take care of thick hair. 
I made another appointment with Jessica for next week, for a consultation and a haircut.  My rules will be that it's growing out and if damaged hair has to be cut, great, but the only part that needs actually trimming is the back - end of story.  And, more importantly, thinning shears will never come near my head.  Also that I am happy to have waves, but will not chemically alter my hair to get them.
Probably should also point out that half my hair-care regimine is homemade or organic, too.

Goddamned ankle. 

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:06pm
So yesterday I took some pictures of my hair - how it looked in the evening, after a day of x-rays and limping and misery.  I used the spray-on product three times.

Front view:

Left side:

Right side:

The front fringe:

Funny that my hair looks a lot more red these days - and no  chemicals or henna has been added.  Could just be the camera, who knows.

But it's not too bad, really.  Not crazy-wavy in every direction, mostly under control, and easy to handle. So that's a plus.

What's not a plus is an air splint for four weeks and crutches for a week.  That SUCKS. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:21pm
Didn't really wash today.  I'd mixed some baking soda with water and sprayed some of that on my head, then rinsed it out with ACV.  I've had more trouble finding the right kind of holders for home-made shampoos and rinses than I have had in actually making them.
I wanted to see what the length of the sides of my hair actually is, so I didn't tuck it behind my ears while it was drying.  I just left it down.  And it's grown quite a bit - I remember in January, needing hairpins to keep my hair behind my ears because it wasn't quite long enough.  NOw it's just a bit longer than my earlobes.
So here's the plan:  hobble into J. Gordon Designs and tell Jessica no thinning, no flatironing, and blowdrying only if she really has to do it.  I'm going to get the back, which is over my collar, cut up to my hairline.  That way, the sides can grow to meet that and the majority of my hair will be one length.
Sadly, there was so much thinning and razoring and chopping going on over the last few years that my hair isn't all one length.  There's bits and pieces sticking out, curling up haere and there, sections no long enough to just stay put.  My idea there is to keep getting my main blunt cut trimmed - chin length actually looks good on me - until the "thinned" sections grow out.  Might be a long time, but I"m willng to wait.  I want to see, for once in my life, what my hair really looks like.
When I was freshman in high school in 1986 (at a ritzy boarding school where I didn't belong and I hated them and they hated me and I was a day student so I didn't fit in anyway), it was just me and my dad and neither of us knew anything about hair.  Mine was puffy and wavy and not at all the sleek, straight style of the Muffys and Buffys at my high school.
Ever since then, I've been trying to get it straight.  Except for a period in 2002 when it was so fried from bleach that I just let it curl,  I've been forcing it straight since 1986.  That's twenty years.
I'm interested in what Jessica will have to say.

And I swear to God, if anyone comes at me with thinning shears, I'm going to hobble out as fast as I can.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic