Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pre-natal vitamins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
girly4216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly4216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pre-natal vitamins
    Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:18am
Any truth to taking pre-natal vitamins to help your hair grow?  I'm desperate!!!!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:17am

Its actually the being  pregnant part that causes womens hair to grow so fast.

Vitamins do promote healthy hair and growth.You dont need a prenatal for that.There are vitamins made specifically for hair.

I know people take vitamins for everything.But prenatals have ALOT of extra stuff pregnant women need.And If your a healthy non-pregnant woman you could get too much of things you already have.And that can actually make you sick.

girly4216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly4216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:24pm
Thanks, what kind of vitamins are made specifally for hair? and where do you buy them?
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 4:33pm
Hair skin and nails vitamins are good. The have gelatin and extra biotin and you can get them wherever they sell any one-a-day type vitamins. I agree that it is pregnancy, not the vitamins that causes the hair growth. Your circulation improves and your hormones are raging, and hair grows super-fast. Sadly,once the baby is out, you lose that benefit. I've been there twice, and loved my preggo hair.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:21pm
Hi girly4216,

I answered your question in the Long Hair Support Forum.

Anais, a question... are dietary supplements within the scope of this Forum?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:11am
Hi Dave, I don't see why not.
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:20pm
okay, thanks Anais.   I may cross-post in another Forum here... 
younggirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younggirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 9:09am

Hi,

I have been using hair skin and nail vitamins for about 3 months and they did not seem to help my skin and nails, but oh my gosh! My hair never grows past my shoulders , but with these vitamins my hair has grown atleast 2.5 inches. I use any generic brand from Wal-mart.  As for the prenatal vitamins, they only make my nails grow super long.

Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:06pm
I seem to be the only person I know whose hair did not change during pregnancy, nor afterwards.  Having very fine, straight hair, I did worry about it coming out in handfuls after James was born.  But like I said, I noticed no difference at all.

There are vegetarian skin, hair and nails vitamins around but I find sometimes they leave an awful aftertaste behind them like copper (or blood taste).  Horrid!  I've only just started them.

I heard that prenatal pills would work as well, but now reading this post this appears untrue.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 2:13am
I just wanna add that taking pre-natal vitamins when your not pregnant can be potentially dangerous. It has extra iron and other nutrients that are meant for the mom AND THE BABY,so taking them if you dont need them can cause organ damage.
I unknowingly kept taking mine AFTER pregnancy.My doctor did some blood work and was astounded at how much iron I had. She said to quit taking the pre-natal vitamins right away.
I agree with the others that it isnt even so much the vitamins as it is the ACTUAL pregnancy that makes the hair grow.
A multi-vitamin is good,and biotin.
I have also found when I eat eggs my hair seems to grow faster.
dacrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dacrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 9:35pm
I use a simple multivitamin, magnesium, zinc, and biotin supplements and my hair grows pretty fast. (little above average). I also take soy protein.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 4:30pm
Nothing makes my hair grow faster :(  I've taken the supplements and it is without change.  I wish eggs would work for me, but like I said nothing does.

I think it has just reached its full length and that is it.  Fine hair like mine never reaches the lengths others can grow theirs too anyway.

Some people are very lucky with their hair and they don't realise just how lucky they are.
johannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 12:56am
I know since introducing folic acid 400mg is the recommended dose I have noticed a huge difference in growth. Pre-natals are more for pregnant ladies but they are safe to take if your not pregnant, I was told to take them when having fertility treatment for 3 years, but didnt notice any changes in hair growth, but then again i wasnt really growing back then!
nearly waist and growing to hip!
johnrambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnrambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 5:02am
Wow great information I like your reply thanks for share johannah
Flights to Dubai
Tickets to Hong Kong
Flights to Hong Kong

VeronicaM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeronicaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 8:14pm
I agree with some of the other comments that say that your hair tends to grow faster during the pregnancy and that is also the time when women are supposed to take a prenatal vitamin. However, I do believe a good multivitamin and a zinc supplement contribute to the health and fast growth of your hair. Healthy eating and a raw/vegan shampoo/conditioner combination are also a must. There is a rule that says not to put on your body something that you could not eat, so make sure you check the ingredients in your hair products.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic