Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
berrycharming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berrycharming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice?
    Posted: April 20 2006 at 3:32pm

I need some advice about my current hair color situation.

My hair is naturally an ashy blondish-brown that tends to look gray or non-color. I've been getting blonde highlights since I was thirteen, and when I was seventeen I dyed it bright red. It faded to an awful pale, orangy blonde, and my hairdresser gave me blonde highlights to blend the terrible color with my roots. That was in August.  In October, I dyed it a medium golden brown, which quickly faded to a light brownish-red.  Then in January I dyed it to a very dark brown. Horrifyingly, the bottom of my hair was black, so I had to get it cut. Since then, it has faded to a medium reddish-brown, and I have about an inch and a half of grayish/non-color hair roots.

Now I have a dilemma -- I don't think the dark hair looks very good with my complexion and the roots are a disaster. I would really like to dye it a strawberry blonde, which would go much better with my skin, but I'm very hesitant to use bleach or have it stripped. I have 3a curls and I'm afraid that I would be left with a dry, frizzy mess. And what color would my hair turn if I did strip it?

Basically, I need help deciding if I should just grow my hair out despite the very light roots, or try to take care of it chemically.

Help!

Edited by berrycharming
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 4:52pm
Colour stripping dark brown will leave you most probably with a blonde/orange/red colour fading downwards, especially because you've dyed your hair red previously (your roots won't be affected) - but all in all a nice clean base for you to work with.  If you want strawberry blonde after stripping then you may have to bleach it as well to get rid of the darker parts which you will likely be left with i.e. it sounds to me like you have porous tips like a lot of people (me included) and your hair may stay darker at the ends when stripped.  However if the stripper works very well and gets rid of all that dye down to your natural blonde (or close enough) then you won't have to bleach at all. 

NOTE: Use a gentle colour stripper like Colorfix (or Goldwell if you can't get to Sallys) to minimise the trauma to your hair.

Others will help you with the blonde dyes and toners etc....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic