Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Braids - Good or Bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xreds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xreds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids - Good or Bad?
    Posted: April 20 2006 at 7:05pm

I am planning on getting human hair braids in a couple of weeks. Do you think they provide a much needed break for stressed tresses?

What would you recommend as a good pretreatment?

Do you have any tips for maintaining them?

How do you wash them? I usually get them and don't wash my hair but the smell is unbarable (sp).

What would you recommend as a scalp treatment to stimulate growth whilst the braids are in?

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 8:24pm

Braids are great! You may want to check out this website:

www.growafrohairlong.com

She has great tips and tells you about great products. She tells you how to wash them: dilluting shampoo and using a sponge. What leave in conditioners to use: Infusium 23 Leave In (use this before and while you are putting the braids in). What moisturizers are best, African Pride Braid Sheen, etc.

I used her regimen and my hair turned out great when I took the braids out.

I don't know about scalp stimulater and that kinda stuff. Sorry, can't help there. I used MTG but I'm not sure if that counts.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThAbAdDeStBaBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 3:50am
Originally posted by xreds xreds wrote:

I am planning on getting human hair braids in a couple of weeks. Do you think they provide a much needed break for stressed tresses? Yes as long as your hair is in good/healthy state prior to getting braids

What would you recommend as a good pretreatment? A deep conditioning or hot oil or protein treatment should be fine. If you do a protien treatment follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner and a leave-in.

Do you have any tips for maintaining them?

* Do not pull into tight ponytail or style.

* Sleep with a silk/satin bonnet or pillowcase.

* When cleansing do so while in the shower with a diluted shampoo (so theres not build-up) or try a dry herbal shampoo, witchhazel, sea breeze if you hesitant about washing.

* Dont leave them in longer than the recommended time-span, try to get the hairline/perimeter redone/touched up after the 3rd week so that it looks 'fresh'

How do you wash them? I usually get them and don't wash my hair but the smell is unbarable (sp).  While in the shower as I mentioned above LOL

What would you recommend as a scalp treatment to stimulate growth whilst the braids are in? IMO I use the Sulfur 8 product line such as the braid spray and all. But any products such as braid spray that has T-Tree as an ingrediant rejuvenates the scalp. I think thats everything. HTH

ThAbAdDeStBaBy
http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3
Hair Goal: BSL by late 2007-early 2008
Hair now: net weave w/EP-RT

xreds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xreds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 7:01am

Thanks guys!

I am going to check out that site right now.

Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:01pm

I have worn human hair braided extensions for 5-6 years.

• Stick to light sprays for your scalp. Creamy moisturizers, gels, etc. should not be applied to the scalp at all. If you must use viscous products keep it toward the ends. You'll have to war, war, war against build-up where the braid was attached if you do.
  • When you wash, shampoo with a gentle shampoo. I would only shampoo once. Scrubbing until its squeaky clean will eventually cause dried-up ends and an extreme amount of breakage.
  • When you use conditioner, don't slap it on all over. Big mistake! Apply conditioner to the middle or ends of the braid. You can actually smell the old product that never was rinsed away and have to war again with build up and residue at your roots when you take the braids out. 
  • When it comes time to remove the braids, I found that one thing really helps to cut down on damage and breakage. A day or a few days before removing braids, I would give myself just a hot oil treatment. I like Queen Helene's Jojoba oil best. On the day of, the removal time was cut in half because my braids seemed to undo themselves and slip right off.

Even if you end up not caring for most of my advice, please do the hot oil treatment prior and near to taking your braids out. A great deal of damage occurs when we start ripping braids out from frustration because it's 3 in the morning and we still have our whole front to do!

I wish I knew how to take care of dryyyyyy relaxed hair. That I cannot get right.

I'm in!
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:07pm

Oh, I have seen this growafrohairlong.com woman and was not impressed. You can glean info from her and the ubhpublications.com woman, but neither am I crazy for.

Maybe I was slightly annoyed that we shared namesake.

I'm in!
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:34pm

Ooops I must apologize, there are quite a number of additions to growafrohairlong.com since I last looked at it and I agree with some. I especially believe we should learn to braid our own hair. Also, it is good that the information/techniques are free of charge.

I'm in!
xreds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xreds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:51pm

Thanks woman! I will definitely take in your advice. I always wondered why I had so much build up that hurt to comb when I had braids in the past but your first bulleted item makses sense now. Once again, thank you.

Originally posted by Urbanplan Urbanplan wrote:

I have worn human hair braided extensions for 5-6 years.

• Stick to light sprays for your scalp. Creamy moisturizers, gels, etc. should not be applied to the scalp at all. If you must use viscous products keep it toward the ends. You'll have to war, war, war against build-up where the braid was attached if you do.
  • When you wash, shampoo with a gentle shampoo. I would only shampoo once. Scrubbing until its squeaky clean will eventually cause dried-up ends and an extreme amount of breakage.
  • When you use conditioner, don't slap it on all over. Big mistake! Apply conditioner to the middle or ends of the braid. You can actually smell the old product that never was rinsed away and have to war again with build up and residue at your roots when you take the braids out. 
  • When it comes time to remove the braids, I found that one thing really helps to cut down on damage and breakage. A day or a few days before removing braids, I would give myself just a hot oil treatment. I like Queen Helene's Jojoba oil best. On the day of, the removal time was cut in half because my braids seemed to undo themselves and slip right off.

Even if you end up not caring for most of my advice, please do the hot oil treatment prior and near to taking your braids out. A great deal of damage occurs when we start ripping braids out from frustration because it's 3 in the morning and we still have our whole front to do!

I wish I knew how to take care of dryyyyyy relaxed hair. That I cannot get right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic