Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want to straighten hair, some questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to straighten hair, some questions
    Posted: April 21 2006 at 6:04pm
Some Questions.

1) My hair is very puffy, thick and nappy, what do I do to straighten it? Iron? Cream, oil, gel? Which?

2) I measured my hair, it goes : Around a tiny bit over 6 inches on front over face, from middle of head to side one gave me about 7 inches, on the near bottom side of my head I got about a tiny under 6 inches. What size straightening iron do you suggest I use? Or other?

3) How do you straighten hair with an Iron? Guides? I want my hair faliing side to side in a slpit like this guy I found from search results here
http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&M=1153382 949&ITEM=176196&RN=685

4) How much of what do I use to relax/calm my hair before straightening?

5) I did it! It's done and exactly how I want it! Now..how do I keep it so? How do I wash my hair without ruining it?! How do I sleep without ruining it!? Rain!?

6) I want it like in the link above, but I notice when hair is straightened it's usually hard or parts stuck together/to the skull. I want it like above(again), straight enough like that but loose enough to have a head full of hair swaying with every wind. How/What do I need to do to have that?

7) Hair growth form straightening? Changes in anyway?

8) I straightened it, now what if I want to dye certain parts of it?

9) What shampoo should I use with my straightened hair?

10) Before straightening, I should prepare by what way?

Someone please take the time to help me out and answer these. Thank you.

Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:18pm

As someone who went from years of chemically straightening to natural hair, I would not recommend relaxing. With that said if you plan to straighen you should see a professional. Relaxers break down your hair and although some believe it isn't damaging it is.  Since you don't have experience you can minimalize the damage by seeing a good professional hair stylist.  Improper use of chemicals could result in the loss of your hair. I can tell you how to do it but that doesn't mean you will be sucessful.

As far as hair growth, your hair grows at the same rate whether relaxed or natural, it just appears longer when straightened.

This is just my opinion but I hope this helps.

Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:48am
I would if I did, but I don't have any around me. By relaxers you mean what? The other option instead of a Flat Iorn or is it a cream like thing? I was thinking of using some Redken thing I always hear about, can someone give me a link to the product I should use?
The Flat Iorn I will use, probably won't be anything like Sedu. Maybe cheaper.
I think my hair would be done in layers, start from bottom hair around my head while the top is being held -> Done, let go of that level and go to the next height,etc..Any help on how to do it here?
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 4:09pm
bump, anyone here?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic