Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how long can you go without a perm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cheekyfa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekyfa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how long can you go without a perm
    Posted: December 17 2007 at 9:26pm
Longest I've gone was 7 months but I'm trying for a year this time around.
Current Length: V near brastrap
Last relaxer: Dec. 23, 2007
Next Relaxer: Aug. 3, 2008
First hair goal:Bottom of bra-strap
Second hair goal:Mid-back length
take chances View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote take chances Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 9:14pm
From what I remember, just about 3 months.

I hate when girls relax their hair as soon as they have new growth in their roots, and wonder why their hair is so damaged and never grows longer. lol Ever heard of grease??? A headband?
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 8:34am
I texturize my hair 2x a year. I recently learned it is not necessary for me to apply chemicals in the winter. I can flat iron my hair and my new growth will stay straight until I wash. However in the summer it gets really hot here in NY and to keep my hair uniform, I will relax my new growth.
It is correct to say that how often you relax your hair depends on climate, hair texture, lifestyle, etc...
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
Aggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 8:48pm
Whoopieeee!!!  I will be 13 weeks post on this coming Thursday which is in 2 days. I think I'm gonna make it to my 16-18 weeks afterall.
Bahama Mama...Enjoyed my stay, but He'll take me away like a thief in the night!! I'm ready now Lord, so take me by surprise.
ke-ke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ke-ke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 3:08pm
I haven't had a perm in 3 years and I'm loving it. I'm about to start going to a natural hair care salon and let them deal with it I have very thick hair so I keep it in a sew in weave during the hotter month now that it is winter I will be rockin my natural hair
Deon09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deon09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 9:45pm
Well I have not had a perm since Dec. 27 but im thinking about getting one on Friday so we will see what happens.
I'm not gonna give up this time!!! My hair is gonna grow no matter what they say!!!

kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 3:38pm
I give it  1 year.

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 3:38pm
Yes, Loveya4ever you hair is really nice I wish I could be at your hair stage now.

With bands of rosy hue,
And lace my bodice blue.

Aggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 9:52pm

I've gone as long as 14 weeks many times before. The last time I've gone that long was about 2 years ago. I have to admit, my hair was healthier then than it is now as I relax every 6-8 weeks currently.

I am 4 and a half weeks post relaxer now and decided that I will resume my stretches between relaxers - perhaps every 12-14 weeks again for a start but I ultimately want to stretch 16-18 weeks at a time in a year's time.  
Bahama Mama...Enjoyed my stay, but He'll take me away like a thief in the night!! I'm ready now Lord, so take me by surprise.
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 8:48pm
I plan on waiting a bit before I get my next relaxer.  I want to give my scalp a break and in the mean time look for better and safer relaxers.
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 4:35pm
The longest I've waited was around 3 months I'm going to wait 6 months this relaxer I hope I can do it.

With bands of rosy hue,
And lace my bodice blue.

loveya4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveya4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Renata22 Renata22 wrote:

loveya4ever, is that you in the pic? If so, your hair is gorgeous. Now I have 3 people on this site to envy: you, Pokahontas, and Phoenix.

I seriously can't wait until MOST black women have long, gorgeous hair.

Hey how are you????

Yes that is a picture of my crazy hair.  Thank you for the compliments!!!!

Yes many black women will have nice healthy hair in the future because we a learning how to take care of it better.  That is exciting isnt it. Smile  My 11 year old sister is trying to do her own hair now.....Shes got a lot to learn!!! But it will happen.

I dont relax my hair super straight either.... I love to keep that natural curl pattern because it keeps the hair full. 

Edited by loveya4ever - May 14 2006 at 11:56am
Loveya4ever
http://public.fotki.com/redhotlala/
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:56pm
Thanks, tffy.

Straight and dry, IT IS NOW OFFICALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!! Air-dried "puffy", it looks a little longer than shoulder length.

And can you imagine how much longer it will look when I get it relaxed in another 4 months or so.

I'm going to lose a few centimeters this weekend, because I'm getting a trim. My stylist only "dusts" my hair and doesn't even take a half inch, so I'm lucky!!!

I wish you all could visit my stylist.
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:26am
It's been almost five months for me.  Am I shedding?  Yes.  Am I glad that I'm laying off the chemcials and learning how to work with my hair's texture?  Yes.  Smile  I won't have processed hair forever, so I gotta learn to care for the real stuff now.  Wink

Edited by Supersugar - May 11 2006 at 11:30am
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
tffy2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tffy2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:23am

Renata22 Congratulations I noticeed that you got another inch of growth.  I always check on your signature to see how your growing is going.

Goal:Waistlength Natural Hair!
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:29pm
loveya4ever, is that you in the pic? If so, your hair is gorgeous. Now I have 3 people on this site to envy: you, Pokahontas, and Phoenix.

I seriously can't wait until MOST black women have long, gorgeous hair.
loveya4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveya4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 10:47am
The longest time that ive went has been 5 monthes.  I flat iron my new growth.
Loveya4ever
http://public.fotki.com/redhotlala/
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:28pm
At least two months for me.  The longest I went was 6 months.
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:43pm
I have really coarse, thick hair. The trick is that I don't get it relaxed really straight. Texlaxed, I think they call it. I love it. I love natural hair, but I just couldn't handle the length and thickness of it, so I had my hair done like this so that I could have the kinkyness of it (even if it's not as much) without all the bulk.
longhairgrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairgrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:51pm

For some reason it is hard for me to stretch my relaxers because If I go past 8 weeks my hair starts to break off badly. Evertime I comb my hair I see long strands with no white bulb so I think its breakage.  Does anyone know what I could do to help me stretch my relaxers without the bad breakage.

longhairgrower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic