Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair Won’t Hold Color...Even w/Filler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hair Won’t Hold Color...Even w/Filler
    Posted: May 01 2006 at 12:51am
My hair must be so porous that it just won't hold color.  My hair is currently bleached blonde and I've been trying to put lowlights in to blend my natural color.  I put a demi-permanent dark blonde (Clairol Complements 7N) with Lock-In-Blonde as directed and still no color will show up.  I've tried a neutral and Lock-In-Blonde protein filler (applying on my hair prior and mixing with the color), but it doesn't seem to help...the color just washes away. Prior to coloring, my hair might have some leave-in conditioner or silk stuff left in it, and after I color I deep condition.  Would these affect how well my hair takes the color?  It just seems weird because most people post about how using protein filler causes the dye to look darker...so should I try an even darker color (maybe a medium brown)?  What am I doing wrong and what should I do??  Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:04am

I'm not sure what is going on with your hair. for me I only know how to dye my blonde strands medium brown

I used a red filler you have to because bleach hair virturally have no undertones and if I threw on brown dye over my blonde it will be a light greeny muddy looking brown Anyways I use a red filler than brown hair dye and time it half the time the directions say. Like you say hair is very pourous when bleached so it sucks up the haircolor like a sponge!!

What color are you trying to get for your lowlights. If you don't want a dark brown stay away from medium brown because it will dye it pretty dark! You may want to do a strand test good luck!!

meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 11:10am
I wanted to get a light brown, so that's why I used a dark blonde (neutral) with Lock-In-Blonde, a gold-based filler.  I guess I'll try a darker color. Do you think temporary color will show up? Even if I have to apply it each time after I wash my hair, it'd be kinda interesting to see...what do you think??
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 12:11pm

Some temperary colors that claims to wash out in a few shampoos will wash out some won't. The ones that don't wash out dyes the hair cuticle and you need to color remover to take the dye out if you don't like it. Semi in black and dark brown I can gurantee won't wash out been there done that!! It fades faster than a permanent but doesn' t completly come out of the hair

Most semi shades recommend two shades (lighter) so it won't come out to dark. Just becareful because some semi work just like permanent haircolor.Also knew this mom who put a semi red on her daughters light blonde hair for a play she was playing  ragedy ann and yup it stayed in her hair . The mom was thinking it will completly wash out in a few shampoos but it didn't

meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 1:06pm

So after I use a red filler, do you recommend I choose a gold based brown color and stay away from ash, or does it even matter??

angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 2:02pm

I'm not sure but I will defiantley stay away from ash brown. That ash may put some green in your light hair.

All I know is how to dye blonde hair medium dark brown because that is my natural haircolor.Stay away from medium brown hair color too because it will come out super dark. I would stay with a light golden brown or maybe a dark blonde?! I will just do a strand test to see for sure or go to the salon and get it done.

meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 3:26am
so, after using a light golden brown with filler, still not much noticable results...just a golden color near the less porous area close to the roots.  i guess i'll just live with what i have for now... :(
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 11:49pm

just an update...

i used a semi-permanent (clairol beautiful collection) in light ash brown and it worked perfectly.  the color wasn't too gold (like the natural shades were) and the color actually shows up.  i used it to add lowlights, and even though i'll have to touch up weekly or every so often, it's nice that it's very gentle.  i think i'll gradually use a darker brown to blend my natural hair color back in.  i just used the semi tonight, so i'll see how it goes as time passes.

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:37am

Originally posted by meli meli wrote:

Prior to coloring, my hair might have some leave-in conditioner or silk stuff left in it, and after I color I deep condition.  Would these affect how well my hair takes the color?

It certainly is possible. Shampoos like Pantene are very waxy and can coat the hair so much that the color can't properly penetrate the cuticle layer. Use professional products only....and make sure you are using stuff made for color treated hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic