Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

silver newbie with questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anneh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anneh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: silver newbie with questions
    Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:25pm
I am in my 60's and stopped dying my hair about 6years ago, it looks quite pretty colorwise altho I would have loved  it all to be silver, back still has alot of dk brn. Anyway, I am tall and altho somewhat slender I just don't like myself in short hair styles so my hair is almost shoulder length cut in long layers. I was getting perms which gave me a radical curly look but of course too drying for my hair. My hair is thick but fine so would like advice on what is working for some of you to keep your hair from looking dry and coarse because if I moisturize it too much it goes too flat let me know which brands you use as I hate wasting money. I try to keep away from chemicals but haven't found any of the more "natural" products that are designed for silver hair (shampoo/conditioner/style aids etc)Thanks
anneh
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:34am

Welcome, silver newbie.  I'm a bit younger but my hair sounds very like yours apart from the fact that I don't perm.  My hair was looking very tired a couple of months ago so I started using L'oreal Elvive's conditioner for flat, volumeless hair.  I think there is some improvement.  People tell me it smells nice as well.

I grew up being told that you should swap hair products regularly rather than sticking to the same one.  That's what I do, so I can't really trecommend a favourite shampoo as I don't have one!

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 1:40am
Just out of interest, how did you manage the transition from dyed hair to silver and how long did it take?  I went "cold turkey" a year ago and have nearly finished growing out the dye.  I'm having slightly more trims than I would like because I want the dyed stuff to disappear asap.
trillian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:13am
Tonguehi there,
I Have, for the past fortnight been deciding whether to just go grey/silver and stop the dyeing as I have to retouch every 4 - 6 weeks. My natural hair used to be jet black and for many years now, have been dyeing it blue black so you can imagine that there is no way to disguise the regrowth.  I still have black eyelashes and eyebrows are mostly still black.  I was on very strong pain medication for years, then cortisone, then 1 year on chemo' for immune problems, which I just finnished in January.  My hair seems to have thinned out considerably and gone silver or pure white. I did have a few greys very early on, but it has accelerated since being on the chemo.  I have a lot of thinning also, which is very noticable especially under flourescent lights. ( the shopping mall for eg).  At the moment my hair is blue black with 2 centimitres of silver roots, and down to my shoulders. I ve been trying to find a dark ash brown or a medium ash brown but they don't seem to exist anymore, the red dyes seem to rule.  The manufacturers of these products need to relealize that there are a hell of a lot of women, who cant wear these dyes, because they have too much red in their skin which can be caused by hormonal changes aka menopause for instance. I think l' Oreal used to make one. If they still do I havnt been able to find it in years.  The ash colors are really necessary I think.  I am also going to hunt down the best colorist in my city, and ask for his or her advice.  Personally I think Silver hair can look gorgeous, look at richard gere, and I saw a film with Vanessa Redgrave yesterday and she was completely grey and looked lovely.  I turned 49 last  Saturday and thought well there is nothing like a complete change, actually it would be a good way to be annonymous as nobody will recognize me.
Brit1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 11:15am
Wow you are going to look GORGEOUSWink
I vote for letting it grow out as is. If you can do it get a short spiky cut somewhere upscale. I wish I had that coloring Clap I would start taking some seaweed capsules to help your hair, I get mine from  natural lifestyles in NC. If you don't mind I would also suggest getting a juicer and juicing your veggies every day, eating lots of raw fresh fruits and salads and veggies (I only buy organic). Unless you can afford organic meat I would cut that out (I have been vegetarian for 10 years). Our bodies are designed to be self healing but we need to put in the right  food, living foods not dead, processed foods DeadSorry to get on the soapbox Wink
hi there,
I Have, for the past fortnight been deciding whether to just go grey/silver and stop the dyeing as I have to retouch every 4 - 6 weeks. My natural hair used to be jet black and for many years now, have been dyeing it blue black so you can imagine that there is no way to disguise the regrowth.  I still have black eyelashes and eyebrows are mostly still black.  I was on very strong pain medication for years, then cortisone, then 1 year on chemo' for immune problems, which I just finnished in January.  My hair seems to have thinned out considerably and gone silver or pure white. I did have a few greys very early on, but it has accelerated since being on the chemo.  I have a lot of thinning also, which is very noticable especially under flourescent lights. ( the shopping mall for eg).  At the moment my hair is blue black with 2 centimitres of silver roots, and down to my shoulders. I ve been trying to find a dark ash brown or a medium ash brown but they don't seem to exist anymore, the red dyes seem to rule.  The manufacturers of these products need to relealize that there are a hell of a lot of women, who cant wear these dyes, because they have too much red in their skin which can be caused by hormonal changes aka menopause for instance. I think l' Oreal used to make one. If they still do I havnt been able to find it in years.  The ash colors are really necessary I think.  I am also going to hunt down the best colorist in my city, and ask for his or her advice.  Personally I think Silver hair can look gorgeous, look at richard gere, and I saw a film with Vanessa Redgrave yesterday and she was completely grey and looked lovely.  I turned 49 last  Saturday and thought well there is nothing like a complete change, actually it would be a good way to be annonymous as nobody will recognize me.
[/QUOTE]
TexianTraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexianTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 12:46am

They say cutting your hair short makes you look younger, but I disagree.  So many older ladies cut their hair short that I think that growing your hair long makes you look younger.  Even though I am only 42, my hair is very similar to yours, thick but fine, silver in the front and brown at the back. 

Look at it this way.  A very popular style among teens and tweens now is blond in front and brown in back.  So we are on the cutting edge of style naturally! 

As far as conditioning goes, the only part of your hair that really needs conditioning is the ends.  I don't apply conditioner higher than my ears. 
I use Shimmer Lights shampoo for gray hair.  I use a leave-in conditioner that I get at a salon; I think it is Paul Mitchell.  I am trying the Pantene Silver product, but left it at my mom's when I went to visit my in-laws so I've only used it once.  Pantene makes my hair feel wonderful, but it does tend to go flat after a while. 

In the end, we remember not the voices of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
TexianTraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexianTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 12:55am
I was bleaching my hair out in an attempt to hide the gray.  I transitioned by gradually getting darker and darker highlights.  The highlights went from blonde to brown until the gray growing in wasn't "stripey."  Then I let it alone until it had grown out about two inches.  Then I cut it all off in a supershort style. 

I think your best option would be to go to a salon and talk to the professionals.  I think if you got lowlights, heavy at first and then gradually less and less, it would look like you were going gray naturally but very rapidly.  Or you can stand the stripes until it has grown out to a length you can tolerate. 
In the end, we remember not the voices of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 2:58am
I must be usuaual because I love my stripes.  I'll be sad when they go.  But I'm also looking forward to an all-over curtain of white when the brown finally gives up.  I never thought I'd feel like this as I spent decades terrified of anyone seeing my grey.  Then the terror just vanished overnight.  Must be something that happens with age.  I was also going through life things that made my hair colour seem the least of my problems.
Brit1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:03am
I absolutely agree with you re old ladies and short hair BUT I have one friend who gets hers cut short and spiky and gels up the tops, looks outstanding and great way to grow out old color Mine is not short because I am tall and don't feel good with short hair so I keep it medium length and either scrunch so that it is abit curly or blow dry smooth and straighter. I do get compliments on my hair altho I am in my 60's I am told I look younger
Originally posted by TexianTraveler TexianTraveler wrote:

They say cutting your hair short makes you look younger, but I disagree.  So many older ladies cut their hair short that I think that growing your hair long makes you look younger.  Even though I am only 42, my hair is very similar to yours, thick but fine, silver in the front and brown at the back. 

Look at it this way.  A very popular style among teens and tweens now is blond in front and brown in back.  So we are on the cutting edge of style naturally! 

As far as conditioning goes, the only part of your hair that really needs conditioning is the ends.  I don't apply conditioner higher than my ears. 
I use Shimmer Lights shampoo for gray hair.  I use a leave-in conditioner that I get at a salon; I think it is Paul Mitchell.  I am trying the Pantene Silver product, but left it at my mom's when I went to visit my in-laws so I've only used it once.  Pantene makes my hair feel wonderful, but it does tend to go flat after a while. 

Brit1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 1:03pm
[
I used the Shimmering Lights this morning and my silver really looks lovely
Frankly I usually stick to ingredients that are more natural so what I might do is shampoo my hair with my other shampoo and then use the SL on the front/sides where the gray is. Thanks for the tip about the conditioner only on the ends, good idea. My gray tends to look dry easily but as you mentioned alot of conditioners cause the hair to go flat I did buy some Roux White Minx mousse, I was reluctant as its full of chemicals but I did use it on front and sides this morning and perhaps that is also helping the color to look so nice.

(quote)

[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic