Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TONER makes my highlights look so GRAY or ASHY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TONER makes my highlights look so GRAY or ASHY
    Posted: May 17 2006 at 12:42pm

I have foil highlights (with bleach) done every 6 weeks. My hairstylist keeps trying different levels of toner, but each time, my hair turns out ashy looking. My hair always looks darker and duller when I leave the salon, than when I come in. It takes 4-6 weeks for the toner to fade enough to look like a decent blonde color. By that time, I need my roots done. She always seems baffled by it and doesn't seem to notice the problem herself. I know it's not my imagination, because I finally had a consultation at another salon. The beautician said that it was definitely a green/blue tinted ashy color, with no shine. Also, I asked my husband and son what color my hair was. They said it was blonde, brown (natural color) and GRAY!!!! I don't have any gray hair yet, but they were describing the ashy/gray color of the toner. 

I don't know what toner my hairstylist had been using, but she offered to try Redken Shades next time, since she knew I wasn't happy with the dull ashy/gray color. Is Redken Shades a toner? I seem to recall having it used as an all-over color, several years ago. I ended up with brassy hair and all-over roots (like a full color, not just highlighted roots), but maybe it wasn't Redken Shades. I'm nervous about having her experiment on me. Any suggestions on what color toner, or Redken Shades, I should try? My natural hair color is a medium (kind of ashy) brown; my eyes are brown with green and gold in them; my skin tone is fairly light, but does tan in the summer. My hair is mostly highlighted now, with very little brown (mostly underneath). I think I would be described as a cool tone, not warm. I know that means that I should steer away from golden colors, right?

When I had the consultation, the stylist seemed really young and had to ask another woman in the salon about coloring. She suggested a gold color. When I asked her whether or not she thought the shade seemed right for my skin, she just asked what *I* thought, then said that if she used the toner with only a little gold, it would make my hair have some shine. I don't know whether to let her try the gold toner or give my old hairstylist another chance to make it right with the Redken Shades, depending on what all of you think.

What color would be neutral yet shiny, without being in the ash family? If the Redken Shades is used as a toner, will it leave roots or fade naturally? Or, do you think she means to use it as the color for my highlights, and not use a toner?

The other option is not using toner at all, only bleach. I've asked my hairstylist to do that a few times, just so I wouldn't be stuck with the dark ashy toner. If she leaves the bleach on just the right amount of time, it looks nice, but she started to leave it on too long, resulting in WHITE highilghts. That's why she went back to using the toner. 

Edited by Dawning - May 17 2006 at 1:25pm
stormee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 1:21pm
I read somewhere that porous hair pulls ash. So maybe you need to go way in the other direction with a golden or strawberry blonde even.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic