Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with my mostly gray hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Diane N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with my mostly gray hair
    Posted: May 21 2006 at 2:46pm

I've been graying since I was 17, which was more than a few years ago (I'm 55), and now I'd estimate I'm at least 75% gray. The gray itself is on the silvery side, and not unattractive, but what's left of my natural color (medium brown) really dulls the gray down. My skin is light and I feel that I look terribly washed out. Any suggestions as to ways to brighten up or blend the grey into my natural color? I don't want to make any major changes, just jazz it up a bit. When I was younger I was fearless with haircolor--I've done every shade of red known to man, for instance--but with this much gray I think those days are over for me. I just cut my hair super short on the back and sides (which is where the majority of the natural color is) with a slightly longer top and bangs. I love the haircut but I think it just needs something more. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 9:13pm
Hi Diane,
When you say the medium bornw dulls the grey, my first thought was to try a "clear" semipermanent.  It won't add color - it will just brighten it up with some extra shine.  But I'm not sure that will resolve your concern about looking washed out.
Depositing a light blonde color over the grey might be a subtle way to liven it up, but I don't know what shade would best compliment your skin tone.  Taking a mirror and holding your face up to color swatches at Sally's might be the best way to decide what to do.  :)
Good luck!
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:51am
My mom gets highlights on her darker hair to blend it with the grey and white. She has been doing this for about 5 years and her grey does look better when blended with blonde colors. 
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 2:08am
Your hair sounds very like mine.  I'm still growing out some old hair dye, but the rest is silver and dark brown.  When the old dye has finally gone, I might jazz it all up with some subtle pink if such a thing is available.  I too have pale skin and the pink would give some warmth...I think.

No offence to anyone, and I don't want to start a major row, but I think the old trick of going over grey with yellow/blonde looks horrible.  Just my personal opinion and what do I know?!
Diane N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 6:12pm

Quote No offence to anyone, and I don't want to start a major row, but I think the old trick of going over grey with yellow/blonde looks horrible.  Just my personal opinion and what do I know?!

I agree completely, which was why I was so hesitant to color in the first place! I went for a consultation at a salon yesterday and came home with an ashy brown color with lots of blonde highlights. It's a little darker than I wanted it, but it does look good. The ash and the blonde kind of balance each other out, and I think I look at least 5 years younger--always a plus! 
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 3:23am
Glad you had a good result.  You're blonde streaks sound fine. The look I dislike is the all-over blonde dye that shows a line of grey roots a couple of weeks later.  My roots used to grow that quick. I never went blonde, but they still looked dreadful.  I haven't touched dye for 15 months now and the change has been dramatic.  I can't wait until the last of the dyed hair ends up on the floor! Luckily, my face is quite young and my natural hair colour suits me, so I can happily say I will never go near hair dye again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic