Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conditioner has stopped working :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conditioner has stopped working :(
    Posted: May 23 2006 at 7:17am
Ive been using Joico k-pak shampoo and conditioner for about 6 weeks now, in the beginning the products worked really well and my hair was really soft and silky.
But now its getting really frizzy at the ends :( do you think my hair has built up a tolerance to the k-pak formula? Should i try another shampoo and conditioner for a few weeks then go back to the kpak?
My hair wasnt overly damaged to begin with, but i am getting it bleached so want it in the best condition possible before i go ahead with the bleaching process.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:30am
Sounds to me like you have conditioner buildup in your hair.Try giving your hair a rinse with some vinegar.I like diluted apple cider vinegar myself.It will strip off all those layers of cones that are apparently doing more bad than good.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:03am
I agree with that, but with such heavy cones, you may need a clarifying shampoo to get all the buildup off.   
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:53pm

LOL,I saw that post on the longhairboard AFTER I posted itLOL.

I always thought ACV clarified.I guess thats what I get for assuming without checking it out.

By the way,your hair is getting very long Susan.Congrats on the growth.Clap

Edited by Longhairdreams - May 25 2006 at 12:55pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:09am
In the past I was under the impression that vinegar does more than it does for clarifying with the cones too, you aren't the only one!  So much to learn about hair LOL Thanks for the compliment!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:03pm
Susan!  Just saw your latest pictures... I agree with longhairdreams -- your hair is getting long, and it's beautiful! Thumbs Up

Back on-topic, to the OP, I can't give you specific advice because I rotate products too quickly.  But I'm inclined to agree with longhairdreams (again... LOL ) and guess that you're probably experiencing buildup.  And, I have to add that I have recently learned something here too -- that diluted vinegar rinses don't clarify.  Actually, clarifying shampoo's are probably better at clarifying than diluted vinegar rinse, but the rinse can provide a bit of clarifying benefit (and since I use the rinse after ever S&C, so I don't get buildup, I probably assumed that the rinse was doing the clarifying better than it actually is).  Um, did that make sense? Confused

But the rinse definitely neutralizes the chlorinated tap water I have, and helps balance the pH of the scalp, keeping my hair and scalp cleaner for longer than would otherwise be the case.

Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:08am
6 weeks and heavy cones? And I've been using Pantene products for Years! That too without clarifying!!! Looks like Vinegar rise will be no better for me. Must use a claryfying shampoo. The large 400ml bottles are always available. but I need the small ones, i.e journey size. Hve no idea where I can find them..
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:33pm

Thanks so much Dave!Embarrassed 

Carie, Be aware that if you've been using pantene for years, you might be in for a bit of a shock when you first clarify with a shampoo.  Your hair will feel like straw (especially compared to coated with pantene), and you will have to condition really well afterwards.  You can use pantene to do so, that will probably help with the straw feeling the best.  Once you incorporate clarifying shampoo into your routine once every month or so, your hair will benefit in the long run and you won't get dry or split ends from the cones, so it will still be worth it.

If you can't find some in a small bottle, you can buy small empty bottles at walmart in the travel section (or just reuse another empty small bottle you already have). 

Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 10:58am
I've heard tht too much build up of cones makes hair feel lke straw, then why would removing them or clarifying make my hair feel like straw? And why use Pantene conditioner after clarifying just to replace the cones back? (though I know my hair'd be horrible without) Anyway I never have had split ends. The only probem is the increasing coarseness. Can't find out the cause, and I'm really getting frustated with it. It's causin so much tanglingsAngry!! I don't even have the sleek look Because of the frizzyness it's causingUnhappy. Though AnaisSatin says my frizzes may be from sundamage & Uv rays, I'm not sure abt it. I'm in dire need of help. I had so much healthy-straight, smooth & silky hair; where did it all go??! (btw, I can't say my hair's rough, it's just coarse & frizzy...)

I'm telling the same thing again & again in different places. ..I'm going mad. Actually I can do anyhing to bring out the best of my hair, and return back it's lustre :)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 5:50pm
I've found that another thing that can make my hair feel like straw is overconditioning, especially moisturizing or deep conditioning.   Use a lighter conditioner.  Look at product labels and select those without cones, or with cones very low on the list of ingredients.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:12am
Carie, I think I can help clear up some of the confusion. The cones make a coat around the hair, which makes it feel good, so it feels great when you start using them.  After awhile, like many months or years, that coat starts to chip and break off.  When it breaks off, it takes pieces of your hair with it, which is why you have the splits and the dryness, and your hair starts to feel like straw. 

Clarifying will remove ALL the cone coat from each hair, so you find your hair feels even more like straw - partly because undamaged hair would feel a little strawlike after clarifying anyway (because the moisture is gone, but undamaged hair recovers as soon as you put conditioner and oil back on it).  Clarifying hair that has cone damage will show all its breaks and splits that were hidden under the cone coat before, so it will be even more strawlike than undamaged hair right after clarifying, before you put conditioner on it.

Why use pantene again?   Because cones aren't evil, they give the hair lots of "slip" and smoothness when they are fresh, helping with detangling, and in that way, preventing some damage.  I use it too for that reason.  Putting a fresh cone coat on your hair after clarifying will help greatly in fixing the strawlike feeling.  As long as you clarify once in awhile (at least once a month, though I try to do it every 2 weeks), you will never get your cone coat chipping and breaking your hair off, and your hair should never get so much buildup on it that it looks dull.  You will always have a relatively fresh coat that remains flexible for awhile, so you will never get cone damage.

222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 2:19am
I switched from the joico to tresemme for a couple of weeks and my hair is back to being "smooth and silky'. I think as Susan mentioned i might have been "over conditioning" it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic