Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Accessories for fine hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accessories for fine hair
    Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:34pm
Can anyone recommend a type or brand(s) of hair accessories that will work with fine hair?  I am growing my hair out a bit and would like to be able to pull it back with a barrette or put it up occasionally.  My hair just slides out of most hair clips, etc. though.

Also, I am 40 something, so I would like to find something that is more sophisticated looking, less on the "cutsie" side. 
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 3:48pm
I use alot of plastic or metal head bands.  I have a difficult time keeping clips in my hair as well.
-= laurie_lu =-
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 11:32pm
Have you tried the special hair clips they make now, with a bit of rubbery stuff on them to keep them from slipping out?  I think they're by Scunci, but I don't have the card mine came on anymore to check.  The ones I have are kiddie accessories, so they are kinda cutesie, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some targeted for adults, too.
More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:09am
I used to use snaps.  They were kind of fun and come in all kinds of styles.  They actually are snaps like you find on clothing with sparkles and other things glued on.  They stayed in my extremely fine hair with no problem and I could put several in at once.  I just turned 50 though so I don't think I can wear them anymore.  Aging sucks!  Almost everything I like to wear looks ridiculous now and my kids are embarassed to be seen with me.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Have you tried the special hair clips they make now, with a bit of rubbery stuff on them to keep them from slipping out?  I think they're by Scunci, but I don't have the card mine came on anymore to check.  The ones I have are kiddie accessories, so they are kinda cutesie, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some targeted for adults, too.

No, I'll have to look for those - although now I'm thinking of cutting my hair.  ;)  But clips might still work.  Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I used to use snaps.  They were kind of fun and come in all kinds of styles.  They actually are snaps like you find on clothing with sparkles and other things glued on.  They stayed in my extremely fine hair with no problem and I could put several in at once.  I just turned 50 though so I don't think I can wear them anymore.  Aging sucks!  Almost everything I like to wear looks ridiculous now and my kids are embarassed to be seen with me.

Aging does suck.  But it's better than the alternative.  ;)  They need to make more things for us "mature" women though, that are still attractive but don't have little ladybugs on them and such.  *g*
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 7:00am
I agree.  I am just old, not dead!  My son actually asked me why I still care what I look like (implying that no one else does).  I think there is probably a huge market out there for someone with some imagination.   There are a lot of us baby boomers and Generation Jones ladies out here.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:44pm

What sorts of things do older women want to wear in their hair?  There could be some cottage industry potential here, and I'm just poor enough to wanna latch onto it. . .

More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 8:05am
I am not sure, that is the whole problem.  When I was around 35 I grew out my layers into as one length bob using my daughter's barettes.  They had lots of ribbons, streamers, bows and I actually got lots of compliments.  I couldn't do that now--I would feel ridiculous.  I think maybe clips with some kind of sedate design might be OK.  I think anything that would not embarass a teenager (that is my litmus test) is probably OK.  A few sparkles are good but it has to be a very few and anything with bows or streamers is out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic