Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pressure to grow hair long?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pressure to grow hair long?
    Posted: May 29 2006 at 6:16pm
I know from experience that a lot of people who have long hair are pressured to cut it off, but I wonder if the opposite is true.  If you have short hair, have you ever been pressured to grow it longer?  Has anyone ever asked you to grow it long so you could cut it and donate it to Locks of Love?  I'd like to know what kinds of pressure short haired women face.
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 1:18pm

I don't know whether this constitutes pressure or not...

My wife wears her hair very short by most peoples' standards.  It's not a buzzcut or flat-top or anything like that but it is very short.  She likes the back clipper-cut and has the sides cut above her ears.  The top is a few inches long. 

I've cut her hair since before we were married.  She asks me to cut it every 3 weeks, on average.  Her style is modeled after a photo she found in a catalog years ago.  She had longer hair back then but wanted something new.  The look is not very contemporary, in my opinion.  It was a pretty trendy look when she originally selected the cut.

I've told her how I feel and suggested she wear it a bit longer but I would never consider asking her to grow it long enough to even touch her shoulders.  I know that would never happen.

A few months ago, since she seemed dis-inclined to grow her hair, I stopped cutting the back with the clipper.  Instead, I used scissor-over-comb to cut the back.  Gradually, it got a little longer and I thought it looked more stylish.  Not long after this "transformation", however, she asked me to be sure to use the clipper because I wasn't cutting it short enough.  She said she likes the way it looks and feels better when I use the clipper.

Just as any other stylist, I need to tread carefully when suggesting style changes for my client.  This becomes even more sensitive when the client is my wife.

Edited by Rocky - May 30 2006 at 1:24pm
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 11:55pm

I think most people know by now I'm gonna do what I want with my hair, no matter what anyone else thinks, so I don't get as much pressure now as I did in the past.  Most of the time, the people who bothered me about getting longer hair were long hair fans, anyway, so I knew not to value their opinions too much ^_^ .

More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic