Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did this happen?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Color_Diva928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did this happen?
    Posted: May 30 2006 at 8:24am
Hello!  I walked into the salon with medium brown hair, wanting to change to a medium auburn/red shade (similar to Debra Messing's color), but instead, my color was barely altered at all.  My colorist seemed preplexed as to why the color change was so minute.  It's slightly redder, but it's nowhere near as red as the color I'd wanted.  She used a level 6 permament color from Redken which had a Red base.  I'm  not certain as to the exact shade name.  She offered to put Shades EQ (also by Redken) over it, but I opted to get a few opinions from people before doing that.  Can anyone offer any ideas as to why the color didn't turn out nearly as red as I wanted?  Should I go back and have Shades put over it?

Any thoughts or advice you may have is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Color_Diva928 - May 30 2006 at 8:32am
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:16pm
It sounds like your colorist lacks experience.  Reds are difficult...
I would not go back for Shades EQ.
With my own hair, I've only been able to get good results with red if I use a vol 30 developer.  Logically, you wouldn't think to use a vol 30 developer unless you were trying to lift 3 levels; HOWEVER, chemically, red molecules are big and do not easily penetrate the hair shaft.  So you need to really open the hair's cuticle to get the red in there.
I highly suspect she did not use that strong of a developer.  So basically, most of the red dye washed right off of your hair.
I'd give the colorist a call and explain this theory to her.  If she didn't use a 30 vol developer last time, see if she's willing to try a strand test using vol 30 developer.  If that gives you the results you were looking for, do the rest of your head.  :)
(It would really surprise me if that is not the answer to your problem.)
Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:48am

Thanks for your response, Karen!  My colorist is a BCH (Board Certified Colorist) so, it's definitely not lack of experience.  I've been going to her for several years now.  Incidentally, I called her at the salon, out of curiosity,  to inquire as to what volume of developer she used, and she did use 30.  The even stranger thing is that she has made me red before without this kind of problem occurring.  The other colorists at her salon are stumped as to why this happended as well.  She offered to call Redken to speak with someone there.  We'll see...  Very strange indeed!

Anyone else have any thoughts??

Thanks again!

Edited by Color_Diva928 - May 31 2006 at 8:56am
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 3:00pm
I agree with the above , was your colour allowed to develop under heat as this will help aid the colour molecules to penetrate better, and quicker into the hair. Maybe she never left it on long enough. I must admit I got a colour red through my own hair today, I am a medium brown naturally, although you can see some of the red through my hair , it is still manly dark brown, this is quite common , until some of the colour fades through washing.
karen sanderson
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 9:30pm
Wow!  That's crazy!!!!
Let's hope Redken comes back with a reason - maybe a bad lot of color or something.
I'm actually in shock!  Shocked
Was your previous color your natural color?  Or was it dyed?
If it was dyed, removing the color (using a product like colorfix) and trying the red again might do the trick.
If it wasn't dyed, I'll just sit here in complete shock for a few more days...
Although... several years ago I had problems getting a Matrix SoColor red to take in my own hair (after a 4-day period of more corrective color than I care to bore anyone with), so I added a chocolate-chip-sized-amount of K to my color mixture and the results were perfect.
That's really all I can think of at the moment.
Please let us know how this turns out with your hair.  I may actually lose sleep over this one!  Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 2:31pm
Hello again, Karen!  Redken's take on this was that is was due to previous color on my hair.  My colorist wasn't too satisifed with that answer because she has been able to bring my color from a medium brown, to a medium red/auburn before, without having to use Colorfix or any other color-removing product.  This is still very strange to me...  My colorist said that we could go ahead and remove the color, and apply the red again, but, she claims this may cause some stress to my hair.  My hair is tailbone length, so, I'm very afraid as I don't want to cut it.  So confused...  Confused

Edited by Color_Diva928 - June 01 2006 at 2:34pm
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:41pm
Redken may be right about the previous dye interfering.  Since your hair is quite long, much of it is porous and may have already soaked up its reasonable limit of dye in its lifetime.
I can understand your reluctance to experiment further, since you don't want to go under the scissors!
I'm sure you would notice a difference in the condition of your hair if you removed the color and applied the red again.  If your hair is generally healthy now and you've been using good products, you could most likely do it and get away without losing any length... but you might not like the way your hair feels (dry, etc.).
So if you don't absolutely hate your current color, you're probably better off sticking with it for now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic