Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Hairstyles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer Hairstyles
    Posted: June 04 2006 at 1:56pm

Now that summer weather is here for most of us in the northern hemisphere (sorry Rini), how do you find yourself wearing your hair when the weather is warm or even hot?  This isn't quite a poll, but I was thinking of responses like

( 1 ) Updo's all the way -- It's too hot outside for anything else
( 2 ) Braids - I'm doing sporty stuff
( 3 ) Loose - What heat?
( 4 ) Other - Please elaborate

I'll start... my answer is (2), but it's also hot here, of course... it's Flori-duh

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 7:04pm
I vote for #2 - I'm mostly doing braids since I run, bike, hike, etc. The braids seem to protect my hair most of the time, but yesterday I mowed my lawn and this crazy tree branch tried to pull my hair out!!Shocked So I will start wearing a hat for this activityTongue
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 8:44pm
I'm enjoying wearing braided pigtails (kind of like Dorothy form Wizard of Oz, but without the ribbons).  I can't wear them in the winter because the part on the nape of my neck gets soooo cold!  So this is one of summer's sillier perks for me.

For work I've had it up every day, so I've had to get creative in order to not get bored -- braids, updo's, etc.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:56am
I work in a freezing cold newsroom! But to keep it professional, I usually alternate between a cinnabun and a single braid, except loose for casual Fridays.

After work is a different story.

For warm/hot weather though, I like a damp snug braid.
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 8:31am
To work I vary my hairstyle every day.  Its air conditioned too cold in my work place so that doesn't matter much.  On the weekends when I'm out in the heat all day though, its bun only for me (braided bun with stick, chinese bun with stick, or a just twist it up and jab a stick through it messily).
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
MissMareeJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMareeJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 2:54pm
Um..I'd say either an up-do or two braids. As long as it's off my face and neck! A new hairstyle I've been sporting is two braids with my fringe clipped back and pumped up like a little pompadour (kind of). It's sort of fashionable thing right now, a lot of celebrities are doing it. Not that I'm known for being trendy, but I like it because it's making it a lot easier to grow out my fringe.

PS. Anais, (if you're allowed to say, I'm not sure) do you write for a newspaper? If so which one? What a cool job.
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:40pm
I've been wearing a lot of sloppy buns recently... it's way too humid here to let my hair loose!  And I don't have the patience to try fancier updos and the like.  Maybe one day.  Tongue
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 4:26pm
A single braid or a chingon(sp?) most of the time. It's so warm, my fringe has grown to a level that Ican tuck it behind my ears probably to avoid being attackedTongue.
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 11:50pm
Summer hairstyles... well so far I wear a lot of these:

It's very good for work! Since I work in a warehouse and it would be a shame to get my hair stuck in the box crusher.

And last weekend I was wearing criss cross parted twin braids. They're easy to do if you want to wear your hair down later on (like AFTER work).

And for about 2 weeks every summer, I braid my hair like so:

I like it for the lake, when a single braid gets too heavy and gives me headaches during water sports and whatnot.

I cannot for the life of me master any sort of sloppy or messy bun...it never works out. :( So slick styles it is.
brangwaen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brangwaen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 12:59pm
i usually have mine in a clip.  too much weight for an updo!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 5:16pm
I'm probably alone here but I like it loose at the moment. When it's really hot I have it bunned or plaited, depending on the activity but otherwise keeping it down or half up protects the back of my neck from burning. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 1:23am
Quote PS. Anais, (if you're allowed to say, I'm not sure) do you write for a newspaper? If so which one? What a cool job.
Thanks, I love my jobs. I'm an editor and writer for one, a technogeek for another.

Edited by AnaisSatin - June 11 2006 at 1:24am
my LJ, 40 inches long
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Thanks, I love my jobs. I'm an editor and writer for one, a technogeek for another.
Cool!  You write so well, your qualifications for the ed/writer job are apparent. Clap

Even though it's not summer in the southern hemisphere, maybe Nastasska, Rini and others Down Under might be willing to share their hairstyles of choice for the summer just passed?
MissMareeJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMareeJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:16am
Anais, thank you for sharing! Life is good when you genuinely love your occupation. I know this is a hair board...but I love hearing more about you guys once in a while!
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:13pm
Apology accepted Dave....although none was required ;)

Summers here are insanely hot and dry, so for me the answer is/was number 1.   I think this was a good thing for me as it prevented me from looking at my hair and obsessing over how short it is.  I still wear it mostly up in winter too, but I hope that will change in a couple of years when it gets long enough to look good down.

I must add that I looooooove winter though. I think I am a northern hemisphere girl deep down as I love "real" winters (really cold with snow) and dislike the heat we get down here.  If only we could move the whole country up there Ermm  (what....no smileys for picking up a country?)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 1:05pm
I do 1 and 2, depends on what kind of a mood I'm in....it's so easy just to put it up in a bun and stick a clip in it, that's what I normally do for work. Sometimes, though, I'll just pull it back in a pony tail, but that's kind've hot, so...
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
Pink Cutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 8:59am
I vote #1. I've been putting my hair up in a lot of messy buns since the weather started heating up, but I've been doing a lot of braids, too. And, of course, I try to leave my hair down as often as I can, but it goes all the way down my back and it gets sooo hot. Cry
<3 Danielle XOX

current hair: down, nice and wavy thanks to the braid!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by MissMareeJane MissMareeJane wrote:

I know this is a hair board...but I love hearing more about you guys once in a while!

I sometimes enjoy off-topic discussion, too.  At this time I don't see any reason why we can't do that here, if we want to... but it's probably best we avoid religion and politics. Smile

Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

I must add that I looooooove winter though. I think I am a northern hemisphere girl deep down as I love "real" winters (really cold with snow) and dislike the heat we get down here.  If only we could move the whole country up there Ermm  (what....no smileys for picking up a country?)

As an Aussie, do you have rights to relocate to the "motherland" (England)? Smile
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 11:09pm
Motherland?? Motherland???!!!!!  :lol:

England is just a tad dreary for me.  I do like sunshine...just not heat. Don't want much do I? :D

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 12:32pm
Heh... well, I assumed you were born and raised down under, but I thought that any citizen of the commonwealth descended from Brits could "return to the motherland" if they chose to do so.  Or maybe I'm mistaken? Embarrassed  Anyway, maybe you could spend the Aussie summers in England wintertime, which is fairly chilly and sometimes snowy...?  Just a thought. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic