Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone help?
    Posted: June 13 2006 at 11:42pm
I am going into highschool and want to loose about 20 pounds. I LOVE to swim so if you could reccomend some great exercises that would be good. I also am starting to take a daily walk with my mom. I HATE running because I can't stand the out of breath feeling. Is there some way to get over this? I also hate situps because they make me feel sick at my stomach and my head hurt for some reason. My biggest issues are my face because I am getting a double chin, my stomach and my flabby thighs. I would really appreciate lots of help from you guys.  Just for reference I am about 5'2 or 5'3 and weigh about 145.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 1:42am
Situps are bad for your back, anyway.  I do crunches instead.  Still not fun, but not as stressful on the body as situps.
Make sure you get some sort of strength training into your workout routine, whether it's by weights, machine, or resistance bands.  Don't do strength training every day, but rest a day or two between strength training to give your muscles a chance to recover.
Swimming and walking are both good.  Whatever kind of exercise you like doing, just try to get in at least an hour of it every day.  From my personal experience, I didn't lose quickly enough until I started getting at least 60-90 mins per day.
Watch what you eat as well, of course.  It might help to write down everything you eat and how many calories it has in a journal or at a website like calorie-count.com.  Sometimes people really have no idea how many calories they're eating until they see it all written down in front of them!
More awesome than a manatee!
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 1:54pm
How do you properly do a crunch?
FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:09pm
A few great websites to check out
http://www.am-i-fat.com/ according to this site you are overweight, but your goal of losing 20 lbs. is perfect! you'll be the perfect weight for your height if you do.Smile

Also http://www.fitday.com/ this website helps you keep track of your daily calorie intake and exercise. It also offer's a journal, and many other great feature's. It's also FREE which is the best!!!!!!!!!

Because you are so young (entering highschool mean's 14 or 15 right?) this is the best time for you to lose the weight, because if you do your metabolism will bost and you most likly won't have to struggle to keep it off, if you still excerise and stay active. Good luck sweetie, my kids are  also trying to lose weight right now as am I. I know it's difficult but it can be fun, and you will feel and look much better about your self! Smile

Good luck and keep us posted, feel free to pm me if you need someone to talk to! I can also give you my son's email if you wanna chat with someone your age that's going through the same thing that you are.

~Christy~Big smile
fyi I know my spelling sux!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:00pm

You're not supposed to use your back muscles when you do a crunch.  You use your abdominal muscles to pull yourself up, and you don't go to a full sitting position, either.  It's more like just curling up a bit.  You might be able to find diagrams that would show you better than words can explain, if you Google it or something.

More awesome than a manatee!
sunnycher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnycher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 2:35pm
Hi there - just hop in your pool and dance, dance, dance.   Get a quick disco cd for working out, and don't stop until the music stops!   You CAN lose weight quickly this way, and it makes you feel taller and lean too!    If you add some water weights - dumbells and leg weights - you will be very surprised at the quick results you can enjoy!   Smile
SunnyCher
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 4:47pm
Sunnycher is right! dancing works great, and if you add the ankle and wrist weights you will be amazed at the results you can get. There is a DVD called 8 minute abs. It works. The sick feeling is normal since you are not used to working those muscles. But it will disapear within 5-7 days.  I hate running too. I have bad ankles from injuries I suffer when I used to play volley-ball. So even if I wanted to run, I wouldn't be able to do it for long.
Instead of running I walk briskly. You will not believe how much you work your muscles. The first time I did it, my muscles were so sore the next day. As long as you get your heart rate high enough to break a slight sweat you'll be burning calories. And the more you do it the faster you'll get.

Anyway good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic