Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Hair Wedding-Inappropriate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Hair Wedding-Inappropriate?
    Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:07am

Well, I just changed my hair yet again, and the current style should be really nice in blue. . . or so the blue dye bottle in my room is trying to convince me ^_^; .  But I have a wedding to go to next Saturday, so I wonder if blue hair would be inappropriate for the occasion?

If it helps, the wedding is outdoors in the park, not too formal, and the bride is planning to do her hair a dark red. . . although those factors only seem to confuse me more on the issue ^_^;;; .

Edited by Kuroneko - June 26 2006 at 1:07am
More awesome than a manatee!
XoNikchick04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XoNikchick04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:37am
Personally, I would say yes, it is inappropriate.  Although I'm not the type of person who would ever dye my hair blue, so perhaps my opinion is too biased against it.  But, if you're not sure, why not just wait until after the wedding?  If it's less than a week away, it can't hurt to put off the blue for a little while, right? 

Nikki
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 6:09am
I'd also suggest you wait until afterwards.  If your hair had "always" been blue, that would be one thing.  Since it's a look newer than the wedding invitation (and a potentially shocking one), it's better not to take any attention from the bride unnecessarily.

Strand test, strand test, strand test!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 7:54am
I'd say ask the bride and the groom and if they're okay with it, go for it.  It wouldn't have bothered me if anyone wore blue hair to my wedding, but some brides (usually brides more than grooms) have big ideas about how they want their day to go, and I'd respect their wishes.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
valkyrie_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valkyrie_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:05pm
While I don't think it's inappropriate, you might get a few stares from the other people at the wedding.  Me, I'd have loved someone to have blue hair at my wedding, but I got married in a goth bar, so what can I say?

I agree that it might be the safest bet to just do it after the wedding.  Or do it, and wear a wig!!!  ;-)  Just kidding. 

Asking the bride would probably be the best bet if you feel you just HAVE to do it.  Then, she'd know and be able to pass her blessing(or ask you not to do it beforehand).

I think it would make for a great story.  "This blue haired chick, she's my (*insert your relation*)...isn't that cool?"

The bride sounds pretty cool, anyway.  Dark red hair is not an everyday color(I should know!)

Toodles,
Angie 
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:55pm
I don't think it's inappropriate at all. If that's you, then do it. You're probably the type who makes changes often? The only thing is I forgot about is how everybody's saying it's the "bride's day" and you're not supposed to draw the attention away from her ... true, I suppose, but whose to say some regular brown-haired girl isn't going to take the attention. Besides you'll give everybody something to do (stare!) while they're sitting around waiting for the ceremony to begin. I could care less if somebody had blue hair at my wedding either. I say go for it. 
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:45am
Go for it - I'd be completely chuffed if someone dyed their hair blue for my wedding :D - unless you think it will be very controvertial if you do - but I don't think it will if it's informal.

So what if the groom's auntie stares and you in disgust
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 11:16pm

I'm afraid I asked this Q and then got too distracted by wedding stuff to come back to it ^_^; .

Well, the bride changed her mind from wanting red hair to wanting purple.  Her fiance and his family were giving her a hard time over it, so I promised her I would do blue in support of her.  Fortunately, it's a dark blue, so it didn't come out green.  And I didn't bleach first, so it wasn't like screaming blue or anything.  The bride's hair was brighter than mine, so I don't think mine caused any big stir in comparison ^_^ .  And she seemed to like posing with me so we could be blue and purple together, so yeah, I guess it's okay ^_^ .

Hopefully I'll get my hands on some pics soon. . . my old avatar is way past stale, and a blue-haired one might be fun for once!
More awesome than a manatee!
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 1:23am
Good for you! WHY do people give people a hard time about their hair? Who cares! It was HER wedding so they should have wanted her to be happy; plus, if that's her -- a girl who likes to color her hair wild colors -- well then WHY shouldn't she be HERSELF and do it? You know?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic