Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making foundation look thinner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SDOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making foundation look thinner?
    Posted: July 01 2006 at 10:25am
Ok so my bf prefers the natural look, less makeup or none at all and I cant go with none at all!
I recently changed from YSL to Revlon colorstay..mainly because of the prices!

anyway the revlon does stay on as long as it says! but how can I thin it out more, make it look less because basicly ive always been known to 'cake it on' even if i try not to! The color is fine in a light beige, but any tips for thinning it?
Also Ive noticed recently when I apply my compact powder by clinique, stay matte I could see patches when applying it, any idea how to overcome this too?

Thanks alot
xxsatiation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxsatiation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:05pm
your problem is that you are APPLYING too much. if you have breakouts of any sort, don't worry about covering those babies up with foundation, save that for the powder. Usually Covergirl has a pretty good loose powder I use. I wouldn't really prefer any other powder by them but the loose powder is amazing, try it. It comes it Light, Medium and Dark. Light is great for ivory skin tones and covers everything you dont want anyone to see.
LOL
SDOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 9:00am
I'll give the loose powder a try! it might be much better to dust powder over ya face rather than rub on with a sponge from a compact!
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 9:17am
Hey! when I want less coverage, i just mix my foundation with my moisturiser depending on how much coverage I want. Like I'll add more moisturiser if I'm going for a more natural look, or less if I want more coverage. Sometimes I even mix in shimmer powder for nights. Hope I helped!
SDOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 6:48am
Originally posted by aseya aseya wrote:

Hey! when I want less coverage, i just mix my foundation with my moisturiser depending on how much coverage I want. Like I'll add more moisturiser if I'm going for a more natural look, or less if I want more coverage. Sometimes I even mix in shimmer powder for nights. Hope I helped!

Hey, Yeah thanks that does help! Its kind of what I've started doing and its helped alot.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:10pm
Here is a review of Revlon Colorstay from a book I have at home:

ColorStay Makeup SPF6 is beyond matte, beyond shine, and far beyond the claim of "it won't come off on him."  It won't come off even when you want it to , as this is one of the most stubborn makeups I have ever tested.  Get it on right the first time, beause once it dries, it won't budge.  If you get even the slightest wrong color it can look lika chalky mask, and removing it at night takes some effort, including several attempts with your cleanser and washcloth.  Therefore, it is only appropriate for someone with truly oily skin and a deft hand at blending who is looking for medium to heavy coverage.

It sounds like it's meant for heavier coverage, so if it's too heavy for you, you might want to consider a foundation that is meant for lighter coverage.
SDOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 6:20am
Thanks for that info...the info you get on the site doesnt tell you that, I have noticed its hard to budge aswell. its not all that bad when its on but I think i may try something else
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 8:18pm
You should try Elizabeth Arden Mousse make up. It is super light. Gives great coverage but looks so natural. Your bf problably won't even know you are wearing it. Try it next time you are near one of their counters. If it is too sheer for you, they have other formulas that give heavier coverage. The mousse one is great thought. I used to get many compliments on how beautiful my skin was when I used to wear it. I switched to Bare minerals, but still have a bottle of the mousse just as back up. I really love it.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:51am
 My dermatologist said to mix the foundation with 2 parts water to make it thinner. I too use colorstay,but then again,my skin IS EXTREMELY OILY,so it is just right for me.
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 6:48pm
I use Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse and it is great. It gives you a natural look  but still covers up any blemishes you have. I really don't even have to use cover up any more. I never thought that would happen.
wvpumpkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wvpumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by SDOW SDOW wrote:

Ok so my bf prefers the natural look, less makeup or none at all and I cant go with none at all!
I recently changed from YSL to Revlon colorstay..mainly because of the prices!

anyway the revlon does stay on as long as it says! but how can I thin it out more, make it look less because basicly ive always been known to 'cake it on' even if i try not to! The color is fine in a light beige, but any tips for thinning it?
Also Ive noticed recently when I apply my compact powder by clinique, stay matte I could see patches when applying it, any idea how to overcome this too?

Thanks alot

To my colorstay bottle, I add 2-3 capfuls of avocoda oil. The oil thins it out and acts like  a moisturizer. It still covers the same, but doens't feel as dry. BTW, I buy the one for dry/normal skin
RLMS56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLMS56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 9:39am
I use Avon tinted moisturizer. Great coverage and light.
bonne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 1:31pm
Instead of using Colorstay, try Revlon's Colorstay Natural.

Colorstay was really mask like on me. I could not get it to look natural at all. And it certainly doesn't look natural in normal daylight. Colorstay Natural, however is a lot better. It comes in a pump bottle first of all so it is more hygenic. The texture is a lot thinner and smoother, but it still covers beautifully. It looks a lot more like your own skin.

KinkyKitty187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KinkyKitty187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 10:11am
I love Revlon Colorstay. It takes a while 2 perfect putting it on tho. U need to do it quite quickly because once its dry it goes patchy if u put more on top, like if you done ur cheeks n tried 2 blend out ur nose while the other is dry it would come out really blotchy n weird, so it might not be ur powder making it patchy. I think its quite natural looking but u can just put mosturiser on ur face first and wait a few minutes til the foundation is dry and just pat ur powder on with a sponge powder applicator. I seem to use less powder that way than by using a brush and it looks more natural.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic