Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I did a sock bun (pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I did a sock bun (pics)
    Posted: July 02 2006 at 6:47am
For you Special Kitty

It turned out OK.....but I had issues with getting my hair to cover the sock evenly (kept seeing some sock through it!) and also I had to use bobby pins to hold the excess hair and a hairband to make a pony tail first (before putting the sock over).   It wasn't terribly comfortable

Sorry about the grainy pics.....was hard to get a pic of it this morning for some reason!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 7:54am
Wow..you look great with your hair any way, Miss Rini!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 11:59am
     Wow!  That's amazing, Rini!   Suddenly you, too, have a massive amount of hair.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 12:16pm
Forgot to add... a little while ago today I saw a young woman wearing what appeared to be a similarly perfect-looking sock bun, at the crown.  Beautiful.  Is this a new trend?  If so, I'm all in favor...
Katarina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katarina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 3:36am
I think your bun looks great,MissRini.That is something I look forward to when my hair is long enough,doing buns.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:18am
Wow your hair looks gorgeousand shiny!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 11:40am

Thanks Rini for the photos! Your hair looks fantastic in a sock bun. Is there any way you can get a red sock? I found that with a brown sock, it didn't matter as much if my hair didn't cover the whole thing....

As for the spare bits of hair, I wanted to keep any metal out of my hair, so what I did was wrap the spare bits around each other, kind of twisting them around the inside of the bun, and then I tucked the ends into the hair-friendly rubber band that goes around the bun (did that make sense). The extra hair stayed in place pretty well.

Anyway, in your photos I can't see the sock peeking through, just loads of beautiful, shiny red hair! Just imagine, when our hair gets really long, the extra hair will flow down around the bun in waves. It is something really  fun to look forward to....

SOCK BUNS ROCK!!! I LOVE SOCK BUNS

Edited by SpecialKitty - July 03 2006 at 11:47am
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 3:34pm
Could someone describe how to do a sock bun?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 4:05pm
Hi Sunsailing,

Here is a good link with instructions that also shows different people's variations and experiences with the sock bun.

Have fun and post a photo if you try it!

Edited by SpecialKitty - July 03 2006 at 4:05pm
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 4:25pm
It is beautiful! Especially with your red hair. But do you find that the sock snags your strands?
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 7:56pm
Thanks fatmoogas, Dave, Katarina, hellfrozeover, specialkitty and ladyflash!

SK...I did use a red sock actually, but it was still visible to me sometimes, although nobody said they could see anything.  That tucking and twisting method of the spare hair sounds like a good idea.  I want to avoid metal of any kind, so I'll give that a go.  The bun was a little heavy though...but perhaps I'm just not used to the extra sock weight.

ladyflash, the sock is very hair friendly. Just a rolled up fluffy soft sock

vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 10:42pm
can some one please help me on bunstyles or plait stylesfor men.

My hair length is 32 inches and i am 6 feet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 11:59am
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

The bun was a little heavy though...but perhaps I'm just not used to the extra sock weight.

Good practice for having long hair soon, eh?  (that's what I kept thinking while wearing the sock bun.....wow, this is heavy, this is what long hair must feel like....)
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 8:02pm
Yeah, that's a problem you WANT to have IMO!!!

falconwithin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falconwithin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 9:37pm
Wow... sock buns look fairly easy. I wish I had found this group when I was in ROTC and had to tie my hair in a bun everytime I was in uniform.
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 6:58am
Awesome Rini your bun is the stuff and your hair will look so good  long keep up   the good work.
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by vivek vivek wrote:

can some one please help me on bunstyles or plait stylesfor men.

My hair length is 32 inches and i am 6 feet

How about a single braid down the back?  It's my staple 'do.  The waves in the signature photo are the result of having braided wet hair.
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 7:26pm
Rini, your hair is absolutely beautiful....the sock bun looks gorgeous on you! What vibrant colors!!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:44pm
Thanks laststar and Ranita

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic