Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fine, but long hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine, but long hair
    Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:58am

Does anyone have fine but thick hair -- meaning each individual strand of hair is fine, but there are many follicles on the head, so there's a lot of hair -- and wears it long or is growing it longer?

My hair is like this and is a little bit below the shoulders.  I can make it look great in the morning but by evening, it seems kind of flat.  I'd like to know if anyone here has fine hair that is long. 
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:08pm
My daughter has hair like that.  It is very pretty but she has the same problem, especially with the humidity in south Florida.  She has pretty much accepted that it can look flat and has embraced that.  She wears her hair all one length (except for a long bang in front) and very straight, sometimes even flat ironing it even though it is very straight naturally.  She is pretty happy with that look and gets lots of compliments.  I think when she gets older she will just shorten it into a chic bob and still look fantastic.  She is 20 right now so she can still wear all sorts of styles without looking silly.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

It is very pretty but she has the same problem, especially with the humidity in south Florida.  She has pretty much accepted that it can look flat and has embraced that.

That's interesting because my hair is the opposite with respect to humidity.  In the dry winter is when my hair is flattest, but a humid day is my best friend!  Seriously, I love the body that humidity gives my hair (although other than that, I don't care for humidity).

I always wondered why so many people disliked humid weather for their hair because I really liked the results on myself. 

What does it mean when two different people have fine but abundant hair yet in humid weather, one person's hair goes flat and another's gets very wavy and full?  Does it necessarily mean that one of us doesn't have healthy hair?

Quote She is 20 right now so she can still wear all sorts of styles without looking silly.

Could you give an example, please?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm really not sure what you mean.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:02am
I would say that you probably have curly or wavy hair whereas my daughter has pin straight hair that wouldn't pouf even if she wanted it to.  She has typical fine straight hair.  It is very shiny and glossy but goes very flat in humidity even though she has a lot of it.  It always looks good though and she has learned to work with that flatness and make it part of her style since it is always humid here.

Her wild styles are mostly in the realm of color.  She has had white, pink, red and many shades of auburn.  She has it a very platinum blond color right now (she wants to be like Hugh Hefner's girls on that show The Girls Next Door) but finds the maintenance expensive and time consuming and very hard on her hair.  She has also had all sorts of shags but now prefers straight and more blunt cut (long layers are difficult to keep styled on fine hair).  She has not had short hair since she was four years old but I suspect she'll eventually try it out when she is older and long hair isn't such a necessity.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:30am
Originally posted by anne6000 anne6000 wrote:

That's interesting because my hair is the opposite with respect to humidity.  In the dry winter is when my hair is flattest, but a humid day is my best friend!  Seriously, I love the body that humidity gives my hair (although other than that, I don't care for humidity).

I always wondered why so many people disliked humid weather for their hair because I really liked the results on myself.

ME TOO!!! I LOVE what the humidity does for my hair. As the next lady commented, my hair is naturally wavy, so I imagine that's why the humidity is good to me.
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:17am
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

and long hair isn't such a necessity.

I don't get that. even though I'm a long hair fan myself, why is long hair a necessity?

Edited by SugarCube - August 19 2006 at 11:18am
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 11:09am
I have lots of fine, wavy hair. Unfortunately, humidity brings out some frizz, but I'm finding that now that my coloring damage is cut off, I get alot less frizz. I have worn mine long, but prefer it shorter because it is bouncier and thicker when shoulder-lenght or a bit shorter (chin-lenght). I like to have layers at the bottom too. I'm currently growing it out to see how long it can get before getting flat-it's been about 5 years since I've had it long. I predict that it wil get to my shoulders and then it will get on my nerves. I like having fine hair, it is very soft, and I have enough of it so that it doesn't look THIN, but it does get flat when it's longer, and gets more damaged as well, even with good trims.
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by anne6000 anne6000 wrote:

Does anyone have fine but thick hair -- meaning each individual strand of hair is fine, but there are many follicles on the head, so there's a lot of hair -- and wears it long or is growing it longer?

Mine is like that, but waist lenght and straight....and styling...well, it takes me about an hour....:)
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:38pm
And humidity has no effect on my hair since we NEVER get rains!
(And when we do - I get soaked)
:)
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic